Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Grant Funding for Computer Equipment

Hey guys,

Does anybody know the best ways to go about getting a grant to obtain new computers for our firehouse. The computers currently used to write reports are antiquated and on their last legs.

Also, I have an ambitious project to implement a computer in the chief vehicle to contain all the information possibly including 3d models when we do our pre-planning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Member

Smile Computer grant ideas

I havenít looked at any of the program guidance in a couple of weeks. But, I think that under any of the programs you can put in for a computer system, (Computer, Printer and Software) to report you reports to NIFRS.
    We where awarded a FP grant for presentation equipment, it included a color laser printer and computer. I know that there have been computers awarded under SAFER. Justification was that the department provided internet and they needed a couple of work stations for volunteers to work at while manning the station. I am sure there are more ideas out there.

Forum Member

Check with business. Hospitals are also good places to look for things like monitors, keyboards, and printers. Any establishment in your area that may be going out of business or upgrading their computer systems usually have loads of old (but not ancient) computer hardware that ends up going to the dumpster for lack of a better home. Just make sure you reformat the hard drives before you start using them.

It might be easier than writing a grant request and waiting for it to be approved. Of course, if you absolutely have to have new (which the way computer technology grows these days, will be old in about a week), then the grant may be the way to go.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

Ditto what GodSendRain said. I recently just stumbled upon a computer donation from an oil company here in Oklahoma.

I was sending out some emails asking for small donations of items to be raffled off at our annual fundraiser and received a reply from an oil company stating that they would love to donate some refurbished computers to our department.

While I was at it, I got them to donate 2 computers to our department as well as 3 other departments in the area. They gave a total of 8 nice refurb'd computers that were better than anything we had.

Forum Member

When my company upgraded computers 2 years ago, I arranged for them to donate 5 3 year old computers to my fire department.

Since I am the IT guy, I made sure we got the best of the ones they got rid off. They are starting to show their age now, but my company is getting ready to go into another upgrade cycle <wink>

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DJcrayon View Post
    Hey guys,

Does anybody know the best ways to go about getting a grant to obtain new computers for our firehouse. The computers currently used to write reports are antiquated and on their last legs.

Also, I have an ambitious project to implement a computer in the chief vehicle to contain all the information possibly including 3d models when we do our pre-planning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    What state are you in? Illinois has a program through the OSFM that gives each dept. a free computer.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Wal-Mart. Either the $2500/month they give out in each Sam's/Wal-Mart, or see if they have something in an open/no box, refurb, etc, etc. And as the others said, check with some companies in the area, or ones some of the members work for. The one I worked for in Philly bought all of the PCs and loaded our software on it. Easier on tech support. Changed out a few hundred every 6 months as they reached 3 years old. Got them to donate about 30 to the Boy Scouts for a classroom.

Thread Information