Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default FBI at the CA wildfires

I heard on the radio today that the FBI is on the ground in CA investigating the cause(s) of the fires.

Now, I try not to be a homer, I really do. I know that the "locals" don't always know best. I understand the vast resources that the feds can bring to bear.

HOWEVER, what can the FBI bring in the way of expertise that the CDF and local law enforcement don't have? Can someone at least reassure me that the FBI won't be the lead agency?

Forum Member

why do you care?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    I heard on the radio today that the FBI is on the ground in CA investigating the cause(s) of the fires.

Now, I try not to be a homer, I really do. I know that the "locals" don't always know best. I understand the vast resources that the feds can bring to bear.

HOWEVER, what can the FBI bring in the way of expertise that the CDF and local law enforcement don't have? Can someone at least reassure me that the FBI won't be the lead agency?
    I'll try to be more eloquent and informed than Cancer Johnny.

I thought exactly the same thing when it came on Fox. The only thought that came to mind was that the fire may have been set on BLM land, possibly making it a federal crime? You might know better than I do. I don't see an interstate component to it.

As far as the lead agency-it is possible. The FBI has a very complex method of choosing which crimes they are lead in. If the crime hits more than two news stations local or one news station national AND there is an easy arrest to be made-they will be the lead agency. Any case not getting that notoriety or not having an easy arrest will be ignored by the FBI despite any federal jurisdiction.

I'm getting romors from people that fires were set and San Bernardino police shot and killed one guy who was setting a fire
    Is this true?
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Default Not a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by dave29 View Post
    I'm getting romors from people that fires were set and San Bernardino police shot and killed one guy who was setting a fire
    Is this true?
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

California fire focus turns to arson suspects and blazes to the south

Police in San Bernardino County shoot and kill a man they say was acting suspiciously; another is in custody after allegedly setting a blaze elsewhere in the county. A fifth evacuee has died.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

California fire focus turns to arson suspects and blazes to the south

Police in San Bernardino County shoot and kill a man they say was acting suspiciously; another is in custody after allegedly setting a blaze elsewhere in the county. A fifth evacuee has died.
    Wow damn, Thanks for info
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Some Guy

I would think that the ATF would be involved over the FBI.
    This space for rent

Banned

Here is a god possibility California fires spark suspicion of terror again FBI warning had included prospect of attack with flames
    In 2003 an FBI memo alerted law enforcement agencies that an al-Qaida terrorist being held in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States," the National Terror Alert Response Center warned today.
    Also, of note, the ATF is involved as well. FBI Finds Evidence Of Arson In SoCal Wildfires

A task force of agencies, including the FBI, ATF, the Orange County Fire Authority and the California Department of Forestry, will offer a $70,000 reward to find the arsonist.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Um, Yeah...........

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    I would think that the ATF would be involved over the FBI.

I'm with Kyle. Around here, if you see Federal Presence on a Fire, It's ATF.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Now that they suspect it maybe terror I would expect numerous federal agencies.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    In 2003 an FBI memo alerted law enforcement agencies that an al-Qaida terrorist being held in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States," the National Terror Alert Response Center warned today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

I trust you'll forgive me if dare to question if that's legit... After all, how would any of us have any way of really knowing if a supposedly internal memo stated such back in 2003 - it COULD easily have been made up by them to give an excuse or something.

Just because something is CLAIMED, doesn't automatically make it true. ALWAYS do your homework before buying into any statement/acusation/blame.

Forum Member

Default FBI update

The initial, local news accounts were that the possible suspect was a fireman or had connections to the fire dept, and that the FBI was coming in to investigate. This was later reported as erroneous info. So why the FBI is here is unknown, but I don,t think it is merely a publicity thing, there seems to be more to it than that.

California is going to be asking for a ton of Federal Disaster assistance on this one. It would be foolish for them to not ask for FBI and ATF assistance in the investigations of cause, this way when folks have to testify before congress to justify the assistance, they will have folks from all levels of government.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Lets see, being that this is the largest natural disaster possibly caused by humans, why would we not want the largest and most advanced investigative body involved? And why does it even matter who does it, as long as who ever is responsible is caught.
    Last edited by webteam; 10-26-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Personal Information

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I'm with Kyle. Around here, if you see Federal Presence on a Fire, It's ATF.
    I guess you didn't read my post. That's OK. It says that the ATF, FBI, and a bunch of local agencies are involved and working together. I'm just curious though Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - why would they be involved in fires???

Forum Member

ATF is generally the lead agency with a lot of high profile fires. Having the Feds involved allows for a lot of resources not generally available to locals.

Forum Member

ATF has an arson task force
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Some Guy

The ATF was one of the agencies that brought down one of the sickest arsonist of all times, John Leonard Orr. Who started not only structure fires, but also wild land fires.

Good book, horible movie.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Lets see, being that this is the largest natural disaster possibly caused by humans, why would we not want the largest and most advanced investigative body involved? And why does it even matter who does it, as long as who ever is responsible is caught.

Thanks for the compliment George. 308A is that a trailer park address?
    Stop by and find out, cancer man.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    ATF has an arson task force
    The BATF does not have an arson task force. They have the National Response Team. This is a team of highly trained professional forensic investigators that have advanced capabilities, including a mobile laboratory. They can put this team on the ground anywhere in this country within 24 hours. This team is normally deployed on major dollar loss or life loss fires at the request of the local ATF field office in conjunction with the local authorities.

The BATF does, however, participate in a number of local task forces.

The BATF is by far the most friendly agency to local fire and police auhtorities. They have a few divisions, but I have never had a bad experience with the folks in the Arson Branch. I know from past discussions that many of you have had similar experiences.

Thread Information