Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

San Francisco is where you want to work. If they hire anytime soon (STILL waiting)!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Attention FDNY guys:

I apologize for my fellow Cheesehead. Most of us have a great work ethic to NOT take the back door or the easy way out.

Clark--- Follow your deams and go where you want to go no matter what people tell you but whatever you do, do it the proper. honest, fair, and right way of doing it. Earn it, don't buy it. Don't be cheap!
    Most other replies have been nice. Your's was definitely not. I do not have a poor work ethic. All I did was ask the opinions of those from FDNY. I never said that I was going to do this for sure. I work my *** off right now doing what I can to make it in the fire service. I am going through the associate degree while working at to fire departments. I just got off a 60-hour shift where I made maybe $25.

I am sorry if I somehow offended some of you. I just wanted more information and opinions about this. Didn't think that was a problem. I really didn't understand what the big deal was. I'd still be taking the same tests as everyone else. The only difference is that I would be putting a few years in with EMS first.

I am testing with other departments. I will be testing with Milwaukee this spring when they are supposedly supposed to test. I am kind of in the process with St Louis.(I have no idea what's going on though. They through away their last test that I took because of the high failure rate.) I also tested with two suburban depts recently where I am awaiting results. The main reason that I thought of this was because FDNY won't be testing for awhile now.

Once again, I appreciate the responses that I got. Didn't think that it would be such a big deal to ask this question. I am doing everything that I possibly can right now to make it somewhere.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    San Francisco is where you want to work. If they hire anytime soon (STILL waiting)!
    Do they ever hire?
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

While employed with EMS you will be given the opportunity to take a promotional exam as opposed to the standard FD test. Why wait countless years for the chance of possibly getting called for the job just so you can say you did it the traditional way.

The job is driven on who you know. Should we tell every son of a chief that they have no right using there hook to get into a busy house? How many kids have been hired just because they have connections when in reality they should never have even passed the background investigation? Theres a saying that "nice guys finish last".

Although it is admirable that guys would skip the promotion opportunity just so they can get hired the traditional way but dont forget this is your career your talking about. Why would anyone pass up a career just so they could say they went the old school way in getting hired and thats if they do get hired which the odds are against based on the number of slots and the numer of applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    Do they ever hire?
    I have been waiting for five years now.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I have been waiting for five years now.
    ic, so they are just like chicago, once every 40 years.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Most other replies have been nice. Your's was definitely not. I do not have a poor work ethic. All I did was ask the opinions of those from FDNY. I never said that I was going to do this for sure. I work my *** off right now doing what I can to make it in the fire service. I am going through the associate degree while working at to fire departments. I just got off a 60-hour shift where I made maybe $25.

It seemed to me you were looking for an easy way in. I must have taken it wrong then. It's good you are working your ***** off. Most kids coming into this career do not. They have the sense of "I am entitled to it" instead of actually earning it. You work your butt off, people will notice where you work now and will give you a good reference for someplace full time if you earned their respect and trust.

I am sorry if I somehow offended some of you. I just wanted more information and opinions about this. Didn't think that was a problem. I really didn't understand what the big deal was. I'd still be taking the same tests as everyone else. The only difference is that I would be putting a few years in with EMS first.

I am testing with other departments. I will be testing with Milwaukee this spring when they are supposedly supposed to test. I am kind of in the process with St Louis.(I have no idea what's going on though. They through away their last test that I took because of the high failure rate.) I also tested with two suburban depts recently where I am awaiting results. The main reason that I thought of this was because FDNY won't be testing for awhile now.

Glad you are shopping around. That's the way to get it done.
    Once again, I appreciate the responses that I got. Didn't think that it would be such a big deal to ask this question. I am doing everything that I possibly can right now to make it somewhere.

If you really want FDNY, great, more power to you. Others here have made mistakes doing exactly what you are doing right now and are telling you to not do what they did to help you out. You asked a question, now take your answers, analize them and learn from them. Don't bitch when you get answers you don't really like. Great way to loose respect big time.

Personally, I hope you get exactly what you want. Like I said, don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams....make them happen any way you can! Let me know if I can help, Good Luck!
    Class dismissed!!
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-30-2007 at 03:05 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Clark,

I responded to a few of your posts with the Madison hiring and so forth threads. What I got from that is that you are still pretty young and you do have time. It is great to get on a job, but sometimes it takes a bit longer than one wants. Is that really a bad thing?

Right now I think you are going about getting a job the right way. You are in school for fire protection, working as a P.O.C., doing EMT and so forth. Sometimes jobs fall in to place, sometimes it takes awhile. There are many jobs around the midwest and even Wisconsin, that will probablly be hiring soon, many do look at the education as a requirement, or at least, highly desireable. Another thing is you also have a chance to grow up some and learn responsibility and maturity in other jobs.

Almost every FF, out there worked another job at some point and to be honest, there have been many "kids" getting hired onto a dept straight out of school. While they have the knowledge, they lack responsibility and there are some with a "sense of entitlement" attitude. There are departments out there that DO notice this and being a bit older than 20 etc does look better to some depts. You have an opportunity to learn the real world and to use that experience in the fire service, not just what you learn in school.

Be patient and give it time. Don't be in a mad rush to get on a career job. Test when you can, but always look for things that will help you. Look for more educational opportunities like driver/operator, fire inspector, fire officer, and so forth. Look at working a civilian job and see how that can apply to the fire service, be it working in customer service, towing, construction, whatever, there are many aspects of civilian jobs that relate to the fire service. Before you know it, you will be offered a job, when you get that one, you will get about three or four more. Then the biggest question will be, which one to take?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies you guys.

Dickey - I didn't mean to be bitching about the other posts. It was just the one reply that bothered me because it was about my work ethic. Thanks for your helpful input though. You made some really good points.

jccrabby - Thanks again. You've answered a lot of questions for me throughout this forum. You're right, I am kind of in a hurry to make it full time. I'm a bit of an impatient person, which can sometimes be a bad thing. I'm guessing I just passed the WI state test because I just got a letter today from Oak Creek saying that I qualified to move on. Hopefully I'll be getting one from Greenfield soon.

I was actually thinking about it today and I realized that I'm doing pretty well for someone my age. When May comes I will of completed FF1, FF2, EMT-B, Hazmat-Tech, Fire Inspector, Fire Investigator, Fire Officer and MPO. Then by next winter I should have my associate degree. I guess it's time to just take a breath and slow down. haha

Thanks again everyone.

Forum Member

most people i know will do anything to get a job as a firefighter, if that means mopping floors or being an emt/paramedic do it. who cares what people think of what you did before you got on. You will go through to same training as everyone else, just keep your mouth shut and ears open

Congrats on moving the next step! See, it will all fall into place eventually. Sounds like you have done very well for someone as young as you.

I would look as your fist full of certificates and say, yes, he is book smart. That is half the battle. Now, does he have experience to back that up?? You are working on it, Wonderful!! Keep doing what you are doing and get a good mix of both book and street smart and you will be a much wanted commodity to any department. The best place for you right now is a POC department. That way, when the day comes, full-time Chief calls POC Chief and says "what's this guy like?" Believe me, I have had Chiefs call me from all over with my guys applying there. All this stuff happens behind the scenes. Do good at your POC place and you will get a wonderful reference. Then, like Crabby said, all of a sudden you get to pick which department you want to work for. See it happen all the time.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Patience young Grasshopper!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Dickey. Where do you work btw?

Where are you from clark918? You mentioned Oak Creek, that's near where I used to POC. Have you tried Racine yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Oak Creek. I think Racine hired my senior year of high school. I'm definitely applying there when they hire next though.

Forum Member

Default bro

if you want the job, go get it.
    Last edited by pipeman3179; 01-02-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Forum Member

yeah brooklyn's where its at, short buildings and tall stories.

Forum Member

Brooklyn Taxpayers??? Roaring up and down Flatbush Ave?? Burning your ears off? Are you even on this job, because you dont sound like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    Brooklyn Taxpayers??? Roaring up and down Flatbush Ave?? Burning your ears off? Are you even on this job, because you dont sound like it.
    Sounds more like a ~cough~buff~cough~....excuse me...something was stuck in my throat. Or perhaps someone living off his fathers legacy.

I live not to far from Flatbush Ave, my neighborhood post office is on Flatbush Ave. and I travel the road frequently...and I don't see these raging taxpayer fires he speaks of...must be watching buff films from the 70s.

All I see are Dollar vans and Kennedy Fried Chicken!

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Oh this should get interesting.

Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83719

This F*in idiot is not on our job.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information