+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY opinion of FDNY EMS

I just received reciprocity for my EMT license for New York.(I'm from Wisconsin) I am considering applying and testing for FDNY EMS. I know that every two years there is a promotional exam for firefighter. Those who pass get put at the top of the open list. Seems like a nice idea so that I can improve my chance to get a spot in the academy for FDNY.

The problem that I've been a bit concerned about is the opinion of the veteran FDNY firefighters. I have heard from some that they dislike the EMS members that do this. While many others make have come from there themselves and they were accepted fine.

I honestly think that there shouldn't be a big problem with this. I would be leaving my entire life behind in Wisconsin to come to New York City and work EMS. I'd be living pretty poorly since I'm only 20 years old and EMS doesn't make much. I think that this shows some dedication and it proves that I'm willing to do anything for a job with FDNY. Some may say I'm "taking the back door", but is it really taking the easy way out? I'm not cheating or anything. I'm really giving things up to move away from home and serve the city of New York to improve my chances.

I hope this doesn't stir up any problems. Just thought that it would be nice to get the opinions from some FDNY members. Thanks.

Forum Member

FDNY never asked you to leave your home life behind and move to the city.

If you want to be an FDNY Firefighter, work the EMS job but do the whole application process, not the promotional exam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

You want to be a fireman for FDNY, right? I am not familiar with their processes, let alone the path from FDNY EMS to FDNY, but if that is how things are done and that's what you want to do, then do it.

If the guys bust your balls for it, and if you can patiently suck it up and successfully prove them wrong with your actions, it will only make you a better fireman.

Do not put the misplaced concern about what other people think get in the way of following your ambitions. But like the first reply, I also caution you to not think that your decision to move automatically bestows entitlement upon you. I know you're not pushing that angle, but it is leaking out and you should be aware of and quash it before it causes unnecessary trouble later.

Good luck.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies so far.

I understand that no one is asking me to move. I'm just saying that doing it and serving some years with EMS shows some dedication. I don't mean that I'm better than anyone in any way though. Many men and women are showing dedication in other ways as well.(military)

Hoser, I didn't mean that I'd be anything special with the opportunity to be promoted. I know that once I start that academy, I'm just a probie like every other guy there. If I got the job, I know that the EMS would mean nothing. I'm not a cocky guy at all, so I know that I would still have to earn all of that respect.

My main concern is, would I already start with less respect that other because of the EMS thing?

Forum Member

Clark ..

There was a thread on this exact topic a few months ago. Do a search and you will find it.

Be warned, the FDNY guys who posted on this topic had a less than receptive view of this approach to get on the fire department. And I think it's fair to say that's a bit of an understatement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay thanks. I couldn't find anything earlier, but I'll give it another try. I thought some might, but that's why I wanted to get some opinions before I went through with it.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

You will get A LOT of backlash on this forum. You have to come to terms that the FDNY operates on a different level. Not necessariy meaning BETTER...just different. And part of that is THEIR way...and THEIR way, means no shortcuts. You don't want the rep of an IGMer and EMS promo seems to be the quickest way to this label. You will have a few who say "hey it will suck at first and you'll catch a lot of BS but it goes away"...you are also gonna have a new one torn in you by the FDNY guys on here, by candidates for the normal list, and by those firmiliar with the issue. You are also going to deal with the bad taste in the departments mouth towards any new guys after 2043(the current list) expires due to the the law suit, the bogus test(6019) and various other issues. Anyone after 2043 is gonna have to push a lot harder and prove a lot more...imagine what those coming from EMS will have to endure.

I am an EMT too...in medic school. I want to be in the FDNY just as bad as anyone. Granted I got/am getting my cert simpily to get into the military field I want, I understand your temptation. I am(6019) and will be(future tests) on the regular list like the majority of those who get on...there is nothing like doin it right. Good luck with whatever you do bro, just remember, your the one whos gotta show up everyday, and thats all that matters in the end.

Forum Member

Dont be a moron. Go get a job somewhere out West where they actually pay you. Forget about moving here from WI to get a maybe. If I could do it all over again I would be out West or in Florida where you can buy a house and enjoy yourself . Having a nys emt doesnt really mean anything you still have to go through their academy. And most young people I know doing NYC EMS arent all that happy, they are just using it to pass some time. You can come to NYC and get a job doing a lot of other things in a much better atmosphere!

Better yet go to college and get a degree so if this doesnt pan out you can get another job. I have heard rumors of their being one more class and then a hiring freeze as they cant finalize the last test (I hope they never do).

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets get down to the point.

1st the promo exam- It is the backdoor and it isn't looked upon kindly.

You should also know that they have the ability to keep you from taking the exam and even getting promoted off the list if EMS staffing is low.(they have done it once before) They will want to make you work for years before being qualifed for the exam...this changes and can be changed at will by the city so be forwarned. EMS here is essentially the same as any large city...GSW, Stabbings, Old fat people with all sorts of problems...1000s who only want a ride to the "Hospitals and sh*t"...drunks, AIDS, Drug resistant this and that....all sorts of things you don't want to expose yourself or your family to for the anaual salary of $27,000 to 39,000 after 5 years!

2nd, FDNY EMS Job sucks...period! I know a number of ex-ems guys and the job only gets worse and worse as the years go on. The pay sucks and the notion that it shows dedication is without merit...it shows us you are willing to take the back door and are either incapable or afraid of an open competitive exam against all others...if you take a short cut now...what will you be like as a fireman? How will you work the system to benefit you and only you? We don't care what you did before this job....you could have drove a cab for all we care...it is all the same to us.

Get a job as a Bartender, take the Sanitationmans exam or take just about anything else that has better hours and better pay...get residency and take the next OC exam.

FTM-PTB

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Well.............

I have to ask: Why New York?? Why not Baltimore, Philly, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc. OR, a major County Combination department. I was a career FF for 24 years (now Retired) and I've been a Volunteer for 49 years. If I could have a Job anywhere in the world tomorrow morning, it would be Cal Fire. One other thing that might influence where you might want to be is the annual series in Firehouse Magizine that details Salaries, Run totals, Etc. for a hundred Cities (or more) across America. LOTS of good info there. We're probably not going to be hiring for a time, due to budget constraints, but you start at over 42K here, you're paid while you go thru the Academy, and when you get to a station, you ride everything, right off the top. (our EMS is totally absorbed within the FD, FFs run the BLS units, and the EMT-Ps are Firefighters as well.)
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I just received reciprocity for my EMT license for New York.(I'm from Wisconsin) .....

Perhaps become a starving actor on the side as well? Stay out in the real world. Or at least go to decent city if that is what attracts you. Plenty of better options. If nothing else for quality of life. Best advise above is get a degree, grow up some.

You want to do some good, go enlist . The military always needs dedicated medics/corpman. Anyone that craps on that, spit in their eye. Regards of what FD they are on.

Forum Member

I know the allure of testing and applying for FDNY is great. I would reccomend that you follow the advice that others have stated.

Their are a lot of places that catch a lot of work, but the guys I know that work for FDNY don't work second jobs for walking around money. They work second jobs to pay the RENT.

Go someplace that you can earn enough money to pay your bills, buy a house, and catch good work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Their are a lot of places that catch a lot of work, but the guys I know that work for FDNY don't work second jobs for walking around money. They work second jobs to pay the RENT.

Go someplace that you can earn enough money to pay your bills, buy a house, and catch good work.
    Exactly!!!!!!! Stay in Wisconsin dude. Don't get me wrong I love my job and I love the guys that I work with. But if your looking to move here; into the NYC area and be financially comfortable you are truly confused. A few months ago I went to get approved for a mortgage and was basically told that I do not make enough money to support more than a 175,000$ mortgage and in this area that will get you an outhouse!! Granted I'm not making top pay yet but just keep that in mind CLARK918!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    Exactly!!!!!!! Stay in Wisconsin dude. Don't get me wrong I love my job and I love the guys that I work with. But if your looking to move here; into the NYC area and be financially comfortable you are truly confused. A few months ago I went to get approved for a mortgage and was basically told that I do not make enough money to support more than a 175,000$ mortgage and in this area that will get you an outhouse!! Granted I'm not making top pay yet but just keep that in mind CLARK918!

Perhaps you can find a cellar Studio apartment in a Rear Tenement off the Bowery or Canal Street somewhere at that price!

Oh wait...those go for $400,000+ now...have you ever heard of an SRO?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    Holy cow! How low is the pay up there? I bought my first place when I was making 39K and qualified for $250K.......
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

fiftyfive pm me and ill get youre mortgage approved, I have a broker I have used that will get you approved most likely if you can say you can pay for it. Very sympathetic to our cause.

its funny i ask this question clark, i recently had a discussion with an ex fdny member about this he too brought up the back door approach and told me straight out do it the normal way and earn ur right to be there.
    im not a firefighter so i cant say much about the subject of ny, but honestly as a civilian trying to live here its almost impossible, a one bed room apartment could run u atleast 1,000 a month, i work 2 jobs (one full time and the other part time) and pick up odd jobs here and there and i still have problems paying the rent and food and everything else you have to deal with.
    your honestly better off staying out west and earining the money u deserve for th ejob u wanna do.
    its absolutly diquesting the way the city treats thier emergency employees.(once again i dont know this for sure, but what ive been reading and hearing its absolutly rediculous what these guys have to deal with).
    But if you are dead set on comming to ny maybe you should try other paid deparments, ive heard westchester firefighters can make some decent money, and there are a lot of other cities around here they pay "decently", but once again it comes to how exspensive living condition are around here.
    Sorry im not trying to discourage you, if you want it bad enough go for it, but id defintily take the advice the fdny guys here gave you.

but once again this is just a civilan's oppoin and nothing more.
    feel free to pm me with any questions and ill try my best to answer them
    ~aaron

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this has been asked already, why not just put in your application with FDNY FIRE, take the test and wait for your number to be called in 3,4, or 5 years like most everyone else who has gone there? You are already looking at at least 2 years if not more before you could take the backdoor route with EMS....You will be poor and sad, I am sure of it. Instead, you could continue to work in WI, save all you money, and when you get the job you will have few extra pennies to afford rent. Oh yeah....now you won't be a backdoor boogerhead!!

MembersZone Subscriber

why not Baltimore, Philly, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc. OR, a major County Combination department.
    You want a big city? That pays decent and wont make you wait years to get on? How about Houston

MembersZone Subscriber

Attention FDNY guys:

I apologize for my fellow Cheesehead. Most of us have a great work ethic to NOT take the back door or the easy way out.

Clark--- Follow your deams and go where you want to go no matter what people tell you but whatever you do, do it the proper. honest, fair, and right way of doing it. Earn it, don't buy it. Don't be cheap!
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-29-2007 at 01:24 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

San Francisco is where you want to work. If they hire anytime soon (STILL waiting)!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Attention FDNY guys:

I apologize for my fellow Cheesehead. Most of us have a great work ethic to NOT take the back door or the easy way out.

Clark--- Follow your deams and go where you want to go no matter what people tell you but whatever you do, do it the proper. honest, fair, and right way of doing it. Earn it, don't buy it. Don't be cheap!
    Most other replies have been nice. Your's was definitely not. I do not have a poor work ethic. All I did was ask the opinions of those from FDNY. I never said that I was going to do this for sure. I work my *** off right now doing what I can to make it in the fire service. I am going through the associate degree while working at to fire departments. I just got off a 60-hour shift where I made maybe $25.

I am sorry if I somehow offended some of you. I just wanted more information and opinions about this. Didn't think that was a problem. I really didn't understand what the big deal was. I'd still be taking the same tests as everyone else. The only difference is that I would be putting a few years in with EMS first.

I am testing with other departments. I will be testing with Milwaukee this spring when they are supposedly supposed to test. I am kind of in the process with St Louis.(I have no idea what's going on though. They through away their last test that I took because of the high failure rate.) I also tested with two suburban depts recently where I am awaiting results. The main reason that I thought of this was because FDNY won't be testing for awhile now.

Once again, I appreciate the responses that I got. Didn't think that it would be such a big deal to ask this question. I am doing everything that I possibly can right now to make it somewhere.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    San Francisco is where you want to work. If they hire anytime soon (STILL waiting)!
    Do they ever hire?
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

While employed with EMS you will be given the opportunity to take a promotional exam as opposed to the standard FD test. Why wait countless years for the chance of possibly getting called for the job just so you can say you did it the traditional way.

The job is driven on who you know. Should we tell every son of a chief that they have no right using there hook to get into a busy house? How many kids have been hired just because they have connections when in reality they should never have even passed the background investigation? Theres a saying that "nice guys finish last".

Although it is admirable that guys would skip the promotion opportunity just so they can get hired the traditional way but dont forget this is your career your talking about. Why would anyone pass up a career just so they could say they went the old school way in getting hired and thats if they do get hired which the odds are against based on the number of slots and the numer of applicants.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    Do they ever hire?
    I have been waiting for five years now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last

Thread Information