Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Man Down Protocol

My dept. has rarely trained for having a man down inside a structure. I was wondering what you other guys do. I am looking for any training Ideas and if your dept. has an sog for this type of thing please share it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grasstrimmer View Post
    My dept. has rarely trained for having a man down inside a structure. I was wondering what you other guys do. I am looking for any training Ideas and if your dept. has an sog for this type of thing please share it.
    For our protocol we have a RIT team designated outside the structure. For us the RIT crew is the third in pump crew and they will get the RIT equipment off the ladder and stage. Basic tools, irons, SCBA bottle, 200' of rope, TIC and we also have a half SKED. The RIT crew does a 360 and looks for potential entry points, they can set up ladders, shut off utilities etc, just as long as they are ready to go.

For training, we have done MAYDAY training. Some simple training can be how to call a MAYDAY, such as have a FF go in and wrap some rope around them and have them call a MAYDAY. Practice by calling while on air, full gear and using the radio. Give name and company, where you went in, about how far in you are, your situation. IE.. MAYDAY,MAYDAY, MAYDAY....Engine 6, FF Jones, I'm trapped. Went in front door, did Left hand search, I went about 25 feet in. Then activate your PASS device and try to free yourself. Air conservation is also important. Practice breathing and ways to slow breathing down, such as skip breathing, etc.

Our dept just went through an SCBA confidence trailer where there were several obstacles one had to encounter. This helped to recognize the effects of different situations and how to think through it, it also helped to realize how one can go through air pretty fast if they panic. Such obstacles encountered were passing through a stud wall, going through a scuttle hole, a few different holes (triangle, circle, cresent), wires to pass under etc. It was a very good challenge and did make you think. Some took their packs off to pass through, where others were able to make it with their pack on.

As for your situation, if you are not training often for a FF down. I would really concenttrate on calling a MAYDAY. Knowing what to do if you are the one trapped, is just as important if you had to go in. How to call it, how to control your breathing, how to self rescue, or at least make noise, try to get to a wall etc.

Going in one will see what the situation is and then take a course of action. #1 Get the person air #2 Assess the situation...entangled, use a wire cutters, went through a floor, maybe put an attic ladder down, or haul them up with webbing or handcuff knot. If they are not responding, drag them out, put the waistbelt through the legs and drag them out using their SCBA. The situation will depend on the actions so there are numerous ways out there for every situation. Set up a situation and just let the others run with it, see what kind of ideas you can generate.

We just did some hands on RIT the other day:

-Sliding down a hoseline to the floor below (if your partner falls thru the floor)
    -Denver drill-removing an uncon FF through a window in a confined space-we used a ladder over the window w/ a 4:1 mechanical advantage
    -2 man carry of uncon FF upstairs-a piece of webbing over the shoulder of the top guy, with the loop thru the uncon FF's SCBS straps works well.

Thread Information