Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Ideas for dream ambulance for fire department

Hello all, i was just doing some research on this site for ambulances. We are a combined fire department that is looking at building dream ambulances for our next purchase soon. The question is what would you put/like to see in an ambulance? We currently have road rescues, and just recieved crestlines and really arent to impresseed with them. We have found that more room is required for Breathing Appartus and bunker gear compartments.
    Seeing as all the questions about ford and their diesels we are looking at a larger chassis(international, GM or Freightliner). Our response area is a mix of everything with deep snow and lots of moose.
    What are your opinions on the larger chassis and what would you put in your dream ambulance?
    Thanks for any insight!

Forum Member

If money is no issue I would use a low end custom fire truck cab. While not a huge fan as of late with the Wheel Coach I like the thought of small CAFS on the truck.

Again if money is not an object.

Hehe,we have it.Our ambulance is hospital based and a separate enity.Life is good! They run exclusively Horton's,I'll see if I can find out why. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Hehe,we have it.Our ambulance is hospital based and a separate enity.Life is good! They run exclusively Horton's,I'll see if I can find out why. T.C.
    I almost made this comment... It's pretty rare we end up in the ambulance helping, and most times I wind up driving if that's the case. The joy of having a hospital based provider!

Truthfully, the local dealer that has a stranglehold on the market in this area has it for one main reason - their service is spectacular. They have two ambulance builders to chose from, but regardless of which you buy - you'll know that you'll be taken care of if you have problems. But that isn't the question you're asking...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Our local ambulance service runs Hortons as well, and for quite a while too. A department in the next county up recently put CAFS in all their new rigs- nice addition if you can afford it- Braun builds an ambulance with a transverse compartment for all kinds of rescue equipment- and if you are looking at cabs, check out the new Spartan Furion.

Forum Member

Freightliner/Horton is a good product. Their new Mercedes engines seem to be working out well. The ride quality has improved on the larger chassis over the years, but is still not the same as a Ford E or F series.

Cleveland EMS runs International/Excellance. The rigs seem to hold up to the beatings they take.

There is a company in Cleveland, Carnegie Body, that makes lifts for ambulances. With more and more bariatric patients out there, it might be worth a look to add this type of feature. Spend some money, but save some backs!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by firepiper1; 10-26-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Default Volvo Special Vehicles Conversion

My dream Ambulance is the Volvo Special Vehicles Conversion Department of there new XC-70 All Wheel Drive. It is the only vehicle that will give your patient a five star protection rating as per volvo. The best part it moves like a sports car all through the weather and it gives you five stars as well. Since two people I worked with and knew were killed while working on a Riverhead Ambulance. I think we can all agree our safety and our patient's comes first!

Sincerely,
    Rich Walston

Forum Member

We've been happy with our medtec's (except for some delivery problems) Were also a combo FD and with our current we have enough room for about 5 MCI's worth of supply, 3 airpacks, 2 spare bottles, water can *just being added now, used to have 3 spare bottles) and a set of irons. Depending on how many you run I've seen some that (I believe ALF) have four person cab with airpacks in the seats.

Forum Member

Default Dream Fire/Ambulance

I don't know if it is the dream ambulance but most certainly is the most wacker ambulance......

See the Rosenbauer Transport Pumper

http://www.centralfire.com/Apparatus...ransportPumper

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boog8591 View Post
    I don't know if it is the dream ambulance but most certainly is the most wacker ambulance......

See the Rosenbauer Transport Pumper

http://www.centralfire.com/Apparatus...ransportPumper
    How many ER overhangs are going to get ripped down by this pumpulance?
    Last edited by firepiper1; 10-27-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

I wonder what the GVW is on this beast and where is the water tank?
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Are you looking for something like this:
    http://www.fdmh.org/prod05.htm

Or something a bit more practical?

Forum Member

Default Dream items

Quote Originally Posted by oilboy2 View Post
    The question is what would you put/like to see in an ambulance? We currently have road rescues, and just recieved crestlines and really arent to impresseed with them.
    Ok first I sell Braun Ambulances for one of their dealers, besides the fact I sell them they have many reasons to consider them. Do a web search and you can find their site and some of their innovations.

Since I don't want this to be a sales pitch here are my ideas of the perfect outfitted ambulance.

#1. LED lighting (Huge benefits, less wear and tear on elctrical, far superior life time compared to halogen)

#2.Mastertech Weldon Multiplex (Great Non-Propriateary system. Everyone can use it, far less wiring, great diagnostic capabilities, great in feild service record 5+ years now.)

#3.Restockng cabinets with pre drilled invintory control tabs. First this makes restocking very easy, and secondly if you do inventory after every run, its very simple to see what was and wasnotused.

#4.Whelen LED 5 position dome light. These are a bit pricey, but boy oh boy are they nice, and these go a long way to crew & patient comfort.

#5.Dual ceiling grab rails, nothing like being able to grab a second pole if you miss the first when the vehicle is in motion.

#6.Zico O2 Lift. Just the savings in one pulled back claim a year pays for it. This is especially good if you end going with a larger chassis.

#7.Sharps & Waste thru the counter top. It can be emptied thru a pull out drawer or from the outside.

#8.In your area look at a ducted heat & ac unit. Puts the heat or AC directly over the patient.

#9.Rear View & Patient Compartment cameras. I know most see these as frill items, but most love them shortly after getting them. First if you do lots of back up moves these things pay ofr themselves when you don't backinto things. The patient camera is awesome if you run two man crews and the driver needs to check on the attendant from time to time.

#10.Vanner Inverter, or at least pre-wire for it. Youll need it soon enough if you don't have a use for it yet.

#11.Medi-Cooler. First it prolongs drug life & usefullness. Plus if everything goes the way it seems to be heading it will be mandatory to have them within the next 5-10 years in the US. You can put them in now and yes it's costly ($2,500.00 for a 1.5 cu ft unit), but retrofitting later can be near 4-6 thousand.

#12.Consider individual lights in the rear instead of a light bar if your unit has a light bar. (Cheaper easier replacement of bulbs & LED's)

#13.Storage for "D" O2 bottles under the PDQ (Standard on a Braun, I would think others can do it, and it's wasted space if not used.)

#14.Power door locks (All doors)

#15.Hidden exterior (grille) unlock switch

#16.Rear Window Level 9x7 warning lights 5mm IPOS LED, then wired to brakes.

#17.Underbody lights (For lighting when in dark areas)

#18.Antenna bases with pre wire & ocax for radios, plus radio tie in points. (Saves time for dept, when installing radios, plus eliminates possibility of wrong splicing by dept into trucks electrical system.)

#19.IV Warmer

#20.If you go with a bigger chassis consider, going with dual grille lights (4 total) or mount the one set towards the bottom of the grille so the lights shine into cars, not over them.

#21.Air horns, nothing clears and intersection like them.

#22.Mechanical Siren Timberwolf or B&M. You can use these on E-Series, very low amp draw, and both have excellent projection properties. Sound is directed in the direction the vehicle is heading, not everywhere like a electric siren.

#23.If you go with a big chassis consider a electric step at the side entry door location.

#24.Speaker volume control in the rear. It's nice if you have to ride any distance in the back to hear the radio, but if you have a patient they may not want to hear Ozzy Osborn or Snoop Dog.

#25.Net at the head of the squad bench in case of crash, much better than the old days of breaking ribs on a "A" bar.

#26.Fold odwn CPR seat back. If you don't use the CPR seat often the extra counter top space is nice.

#27.Cast Recessed IV Hangers (Rubber) Nothing beats not cutting your head open on one of the metal ones.

#28.Glove holder box over the streetside entry door.

#29.O2 outlets (2) on the Attendant control panel, (1) on the curbside over the squad bench, and (1) in the ceiling.

#30.Stainless on both sides of the isle, to protect from boots.

#31.Coved floors on both sides. (Protect from contaminets getting under the flooring.

#32.Flourescent lights on both sides of the module. Mount on a 45 degree angle, (standard on a Braun) medics think this oreintation eliminates 80% of the shadows in the back at night.

#33.Rubber fenderettes, the most damaged part on an ambulance. This saves tons of damage and repair bills!

#34.Stair Chair storage on the doors of outside compartment. This mounts the chair partially in the door, takes up very little space inside the compartment, and puts the chair in a secure location.

#35.3M Diamond grade chevrons on the rear. Plus a mix of scotchlite & non-scotchlite on the sides and up front to make the unit stand out when minimal lights are on or no lights are on, and it is hit by light at night.

#36.O2 sotrage in the rear curbside compartment. Think of your current unit and where all the wiehgt is. Putting the O2 here balances out the weight even more.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but thats it for now.

We have found that more room is required for Breathing Appartus and bunker gear compartments.
    Drop me your e-mail address and I can send you some PICS of a unit we did custom storage for. It allowed the dept to use one of the rear compartments to put their SCBA, bunker gear & helmets.

Seeing as all the questions about ford and their diesels we are looking at a larger chassis(international, GM or Freightliner). Our response area is a mix of everything with deep snow and lots of moose.
    What are your opinions on the larger chassis?
    Chevy/GMC C-4500 is hands down the best chassis out there right now. Duramax 6.6L Diesel is rock solid. Tons of power, I think it may be the best ambulance chassis I have ever driven. Kalderman air ride, is better than all the rest IMHO including (Link & Granning). If you go with air ride, becuse Chevy does make a non-air ride chassis. Make sure you spec stabilizer bars, many (mfg's) don't put them on, and your ride and control will suffer becuse of this. Transmission is Allison EVS 1000, a huge plus.

The M2 is nice, sits low to the ground and as far as I'm concerned rides nice and has good power. You can spec up the engine to get more power. The biggest detractor to them is price when compared to the Chevy and dealers.

The International 4300's are nice, but I have many customers who have had lots of electrical issues with these chassis.

If you have any questions let me know. You can get me at dcmkris at yahoo . com.

Kris

Kris : first off thats a great list of should haves, second for not selling your specific product as the only/best out there. I concur that no matter what chassis you build on, go with the best handling package you can. We put the IPD bars front & rear and upgraded to Bilstein gas shocks and have the best riding and handling ambulance I've ever worked out of in 35 years in the business, Well except for the old Caddies.
    Definitely go with LED emergency lighting and save your electrical system, and if you can afford it buy the best upgrade seats for the front. In medium duty chassis there are several levels of seats and you really do get what you pay for. The better grades have lumbar adjustment and will keep the crew dogs happy.

Thumbs up

Kris - your list covered 80-90% of what I would have said, plus some other stuff I hadn't thought off. Good stuff.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Kris,
    One of the most important things (I think) you forgot is the EZ Glide door that Braun offers. (maybe you didn't add it because it is specifically Braun) But it is a sliding door that eliminates the need for the compartment side door to swing out into traffic (depending on where you park).
    I am also impressed with the Miami Dade rescues that had the suction resevoir placed on the floor out of site of the patient.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
    Kris,
    One of the most important things (I think) you forgot is the EZ Glide door that Braun offers. (maybe you didn't add it because it is specifically Braun) But it is a sliding door that eliminates the need for the compartment side door to swing out into traffic (depending on where you park).
    I am also impressed with the Miami Dade rescues that had the suction resevoir placed on the floor out of site of the patient.
    Yeah, I tried to eliminate Braun specific items. Since my intent was to help out with items a department should at the very least consider, no matter what mfg you go with.

The sliding door is something due to architecture that others can not do. At least that's what I've been told by the engineers.

The suction I just plain forgot about, becuse I know others can do it. I guess when you see it everyday you kind of forget about it, or that it's in an unusual palce. The location for the suction on the miami Dade units is the Bruan standard location.

So lets add that one

#37.Suction located just above the floor next to the attendat seat recessed into the wall.

Kris

I had an opportunity to use a Braun demo for a week when the sliding door first came out and {not knocking Braun} I wasn't overly impressed with this sliding door feature. It seemed to me that it would be far to easy to have your fingers on the back of the door and pinch /crush them as the rear of the door comes home. Maybe in the big city environment where you open into traffic it might be a benefit, but if there's a danger with traffic you should be exiting from the rear. We had a pan box made to fit on the interior of our side door to hold the Stryker stair chair in the footwell in order to save compartment space while keeping it very accessible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I had an opportunity to use a Braun demo for a week when the sliding door first came out and {not knocking Braun} I wasn't overly impressed with this sliding door feature. It seemed to me that it would be far to easy to have your fingers on the back of the door and pinch /crush them as the rear of the door comes home.
    While I don't want to hijack oilboy2's thread let me quickly answer this. Not sure how the first doors were, I came on about 2 years into production. But they have a positive stop now which prevents the door from closing unless you pull on it. I have never heard of anyone pinching their fingers, but I do admit it would be possible if your not paying attention. In all reality it's just a GM sliding door. No different than any van, SUV or other GM with a sliding door.

Maybe in the big city environment where you open into traffic it might be a benefit, but if there's a danger with traffic you should be exiting from the rear.
    The door actually is usefull in tons of situations.

Think of a situation where you pull up in tight quarters, no door swing, ie:street lined with parked cars, in the station (if older early century built).

If your in a heavy snow area snow banks are no problem.

Jersey walls, guard rails are no problem.

Wind Gust's are not an issue, think helo intercepts. One service bought them with that in mind, meeting their own helos when they get grounded for weather.

Tree lined driveways.

etc. etc.

Not saying the door is for everyone, just saying it is a useful tool, more than just checking for traffic which is a valid point. I don't like getting out the back with traffic approaching me if I have no rear protection (PD or Fire).

We had a pan box made to fit on the interior of our side door to hold the Stryker stair chair in the footwell in order to save compartment space while keeping it very accessible.
    Yeah that's a very good idea, and logical place to put the chair.

Since 95% of the Brauns now have a sliding door, that usually won't work with a Braun so I put the chair on the Streetside #2 compartment door. By doing that recessed into the door you only loose about 5" of storage in the compartment.

Kris

what about this for a ambulance for a combination department?

http://www.centralfire.com/Apparatus...mper/Index.cfm
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Thread Information