Forum Member

Default Any one else....

Did anyone else get a message today that they're password had been registered for 10,140 days and that it expired so you had t change your password? I've been registered for 27 years? Amazing... Now I guess I do believe in reincarnation...
    I also wonder if there even was an internet forum out there 27 years ago.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

yep, i got it too. same thing happened when I jumped to the EMS forum, I was prompted to change there too.

I was wondering if it was just me...
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

It told me mine was 10,160 days old.

I don't remember having a computer when I was in the 6th grade.

MembersZone Subscriber

Same here. Sometimes it feels like I've been here for 27 years.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I also wonder if there even was an internet forum out there 27 years ago.
    Yeah...don't you remember, Al Gore invented it!!

(And I got the same notice to change the password.)
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

I got this note via email from CYGNUS-

Attention Firehouse.com Forum Users:

As one of the nation's leading business-to-business media companies, we are proud of our website forums and their ability to connect industry leaders to discuss and disseminate critical topics and trends that affect their business and market.

As part of this program, we put a premium on our informational and technical security measures.

During our normal security detection, we intercepted non-standard access by an unauthorized third party. Although the problem was quickly identified and resolved, some limited user data such as email addresses, user names, passwords, birth dates and possibly names and phone numbers in limited cases may have been compromised. No credit card information or social security data were accessed.

While we can only speculate as to the purpose of this intrusion, we feel it is our responsibility to inform you about this questionable access so that you may be on guard. As a matter of policy, Cygnus and its media properties will never ask you for confidential information via email. If you are contacted by any source requesting such information, we would advise you to view the request with great caution.

At Cygnus, your security and privacy are our top concerns. We have implemented additional measures going forward to further minimize the risk of any future unauthorized access issues. We are also asking that all forum users immediately change their password. To assist in this process, you will be prompted to change your forum password the next time you enter one. We would also advise that you regularly change your passwords wherever you do business.

As always, we will continue to proactively monitor user activity to detect any questionable usage.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact dparsha@cygnusb2b.com.

David Parsha
    Vice President, Interactive Platforms
    CYGNUS Business Media
    11720 Beltsville Dr
    Beltsville, MD 20705

This is a one-time informational message. You do not need to unsubscribe from this mailing list. It will not be used again.

So I assume that our passwords were phished... instead of the forums actually mkaing us change our password, FH.com was intruded by hackers that put that stuff in so that we got a message saying that... After they put the message in, they hack-ist created a fake page that looked like the member page in FH.com. When you put in your username and password and "re-did" your password, it was compromised into the wrong hands. You didn't really need to change your password in other words...

We should watch out for each other since our passwords have been phished, there will probably be some bad postings that we actually didn't do ourselves. Users that are on Myspace should understand what has happened/what may happen. If you notice a post that may be spam in the next couple of weeks that is from a credible poster who doesn't have a history of posting crap, mention that the poster may want to change his/her password and move on.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 10-26-2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I believe you are misreading this part of the email:
    We are also asking that all forum users immediately change their password. To assist in this process, you will be prompted to change your forum password the next time you enter one. We would also advise that you regularly change your passwords wherever you do business.
    I believe this means that FH.com intentionally did this because the hackers gained access to your password, so FH.com had everyone change their password to prevent any compromise.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    I believe you are misreading this part of the email:I believe this means that FH.com intentionally did this because the hackers gained access to your password, so FH.com had everyone change their password to prevent any compromise.

most likely both

Thread Information