Thread: Drinking ticket

Default Drinking ticket

hi, I live in the state of Illinois. I am 19 years old and I just acquired a drinking ticket. Mnay of my friends did as well and they do not know if it goes on your permanent record or not. I have to pay a $250 fine for illegal consumption of alcohol but does anyone know if this stays on my record, or if it will prevent me from getting any jobs? thank you for your time.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Hardeeville, Jasper County, South Carolina

Default It will follow you around

I don't know whether your state says it's a misdemeanor or a felony, but it will follow you around wherever you go. Was if a DUI or just underage consumption? Don't ever lie about it on an application, because the background check will show it, and it could be a bar to hiring by lying. If it's a misdemeanor, list it, and tell the truth. You were young and dumb and have learned a valuable lesson. If it's a felony, you don't have to worry about getting past turning in the application. Sorry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure it's neither a misdemeanor nor a felony. Even an OWI isn't a misdemeanor in WI for the first time.

Forum Member

Sounds like an MIP (Minor in possession of alcohol/minor exibiting the effects of alcohol) - in my state (Washington) it is a misdemeanor for minors to consume alcohol. I HIGHLY doubt it is a felony anywhere in the US. Maybe in Indonesia.

Heck, when I was in college the campus police handed them out like candy. They even hid in the bushes outside of house parties, waiting to pounce on any unlucky freshmen and sophomore prey.

As an adult you can be ticketed for having an open container in a public place, but it is a non-criminal infraction.

What were the circumstances? Have you, or will you have to go to court for it? It depends on your state, but you may have the possibility of getting deferred prosecution. If you keep your nose clean for a defined time period (typically 3 years) it will be vacated from your record. You'd still have to list it, but at least your behavior (and the vacation) will demonstrate you've learned your lesson.

Each state is different, this is just mine. You'll have to do your research and contact the court of record.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 10-29-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member

It could be any number of things. The only way to find out is the ask the law enforcement agency or the court. Asking here will not get you an answer.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

The type of crime should be listed on whatever paperwork you were given. Somewhere it will list if it was a summons (citation), misdemeanor, or felony. My best guess would be a citation. As long as you fess up, I wouldn't worry about it. Admit that you made a stupid mistake and that you've matured beyond that now....

Forum Member

Never try to hide it like everybody else said. Doing that will put you in a much worse spot than the act itself. Try to be a bit smarter in the future and this will not lower your chances of becoming a firefighter.

Forum Member

but does anyone know if this stays on my record, or if it will prevent me from getting any jobs?

It could find its way on your DOJ (Department of Justice file). Bottom line the background packet will ask in several different ways have you ever. If you leave it out and they find it (they usually do) you're toast.

Can you be considered? You were drinking under age. You probably did it 100times; only this time you were caught. How about drugs? How many times?

Well, often I'm asked by candidates about this minor in possession charge. It has to come down to patterns in your life. Too many candidates don't realize that if they really, really, really want to be a firefighter they should live their lifes with that goal in mind. Will this be the only thing you will list? If so, after a few years it could only be a speed bump.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Even though departments can access you juvenile record, they usually don't judge you for those things. The last personality test I took asked me if I had gotten any underage drinking tickets since my 18th birthday. Since it happened to you as an adult, it's going to be taken into consideration. This ticket will always be on your record, and departments doing background checks will easily be able to find it. It won't automatically disqualify you from ever getting hired on a good fire department in the future, but it will make it harder. If you clean up your act and do positive things from here on out, then it won't be ignored, but it might be overlooked.

There's still plenty of hope, but you have to be committed to walking the straight and narrow. That doesn't mean you can't have fun. It just means that you have to be more committed to your career than your social (party) life. Just exercise better judgment in the future and stop thinking that you won't get get caught when you break the law. You may not get caught most of the time, but when you're in the habit of breaking the rules, sooner or later that $hit catches up with you. Fire departments know that when you get caught for something once, that you've probably done without being caught a lot of other times. No employer wants to hire a rule breaker, especially one hiring public servants who are supposed to have the taxpayers' trust.

Forum Member

I wouldn't even worry about it. I got one of those during my college days in IL, but I have never even had an oral board ask me about it. Just make sure you are up front about it on the application, explain what happend, dont make excuses, learn from it and move on. Making stupid mistakes is part of growing up, and I dont know what town you got it from in Illinois, but the city I did it was just an ordinance violation.

Forum Member

i got a misdemeanor trespassing ticket when i was 16 or 17. It was expunged after 6 months. I verified it was expunged with my employers background check. Should i still note it down for my FDNY investigator when the time comes?

Forum Member

Default Be honest

If they ask you have you EVER then you have. When it says your record has been expunged it really hasn't. Be up front and honest and you will have no problem. As it was mentioned before ...we all have made stupid mistakes so when asked answer honestly.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Since you are in Illinois, the offense of "possession/consumption of liqour by a minor" is a Class A Misdemeanor. Punishable by up to 1 year in jail. Most common sentences however are a fine, conditional discharge, or community service. Depending on what county you live in, if your Circuit Clerk's office is available on-line, you can look it up in their system.

Yes, this will stay on your record forever. However, it is a misdemeanor and not a felony. It could (NOT will) harm your chances, but most departments take in your record as a whole, not just one offense. I received 6 traffic tickets in six years and was warned that that might hurt my chances of being a police officer. Since then, I have cleaned up my driving record and have gotten no tickets since.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    i got a misdemeanor trespassing ticket when i was 16 or 17. It was expunged after 6 months. I verified it was expunged with my employers background check. Should i still note it down for my FDNY investigator when the time comes?

In NY, Fire/Police background investigators get to see everything. Normal civilian emplorers won't get to see it, but these guys will. I'm getting backgrounded by another FD in NYS and my investigator told me it is a lot better for you to tell them upfront, than it is for him to find it later. It makes you look dishonest and like you are trying to hide something.

Forum Member

Default Correct

My point exactly. if they ask "Have you EVER" and you have then your answer is yes and then explain it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information