Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Ladder Complement?

What sizes of ladders do most of you carry on your ladder trucks?
    We are buying a 100' Seagrave Force and curious as to what everyone is carrying? Any 45' ladders out there except on the TDA's?:

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry:

one 35'
    two 24'
    two 16' (one in the torque box and one on the fly section of the aerial)
    one 10'

all with a 75' aerial

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    We carry:

one 35'
    two 24'
    two 16' (one in the torque box and one on the fly section of the aerial)
    one 10'

all with a 75' aerial
    Should I???

Forum Member

1- 10 ft (attic) collapsible aluminum ladder
    1- 14 ft (Fresno) extension aluminum ladder
    1- 16 ft roof aluminum ladder (mounted on aerial ladder)
    1- 20 ft roof aluminum ladder
    1- 24 ft extension aluminum ladder
    2- 35 ft two (2) section extension aluminum ladder

It really depends on your specific needs, staffing, and if you're trying to comply with an NFPA standard.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firelaw View Post
    What sizes of ladders do most of you carry on your ladder trucks?
    We are buying a 100' Seagrave Force and curious as to what everyone is carrying? Any 45' ladders out there except on the TDA's?:
    We used to use either 3-section 40' or a 3-section 50' ,both with stay poles.

Because of manpower requirements to raise those, we are shifting to 2-section 35-foot as our longest ground ladder.

Nothing like the white knuckle syndrome that comes when your on that narrow fly section of a 50, and that thing flexes and bows as you climb.

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 10-28-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add paragraph

New Truck will have 2-35' two section 1-28' 2-16' roof 1-14 roof 1-14'Fresno 1-12' roof 1-10' attic and a Little Giant.Plus a 25' roof. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Should I???
    You should take a look at your district and at the structures you will be throwing ground ladders on and make an educated decision. The complement that was brought to us by the manufacturers was one less 24' and an additional 16' plus a 14'. We have mostly single family dwellings, single story commercial structures and a residential college. Most of the college buildings have floors that are taller than normal with many of them having the 'first floor' windows approximately 5-10 feet off the ground, so the 'second floor' is higher than the standard second floor. We decided that a third 16' and a 14' wouldn't do us much good so we deleted them and added another 24' to reach as many windows above ground/first floor as we could.

My desire was to be able to bring the Truck and reach as many high windows as possible. I did not want to be in the position of having to mass evacuate a dormitory by ladders only to have a 16' and a 14' that couldn't reach anything.

The additional 24' gives us one more option in addition to the aerial, 35' and first 24'. And we still have two roof ladders for pitched roof operations, not to mention the ladders (standard complement) on our engines.

The bottom line was that it worked for us and was what we needed. Make sure your truck does the same for you.

At home on an '07 ALF/LTI 110:
    35' two section
    20' straight
    24' two section
    16' roof
    14' attic
    Little giant
    28' two section (if I had to do it again I would hae swapped this for another 24 or 25)
    11' scissor ladder

Insist on two section ladders not 3, they are easier to use and safer, alot of the MFGRs want to sell you a package, don't settle, get what you need for your operation. We had other manufacturers who outright refused to budge on the two section 35' ladder, buy what you need not what they sell.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    At home on an '07 ALF/LTI 110:
    35' two section
    20' straight
    24' two section
    16' roof
    14' attic
    Little giant
    28' two section (if I had to do it again I would hae swapped this for another 24 or 25)
    11' scissor ladder

Insist on two section ladders not 3, they are easier to use and safer, alot of the MFGRs want to sell you a package, don't settle, get what you need for your operation. We had other manufacturers who outright refused to budge on the two section 35' ladder, buy what you need not what they sell.

I agree 100% on the 2 section ladder thing. My old job had a 2 section 40ft that was easier to use than a 3 section 35. World of difference.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

My desire was to be able to bring the Truck and reach as many high windows as possible. I did not want to be in the position of having to mass evacuate a dormitory by ladders only to have a 16' and a 14' that couldn't reach anything.

The additional 24' gives us one more option in addition to the aerial, 35' and first 24'. And we still have two roof ladders for pitched roof operations, not to mention the ladders (standard complement) on our engines.

The bottom line was that it worked for us and was what we needed. Make sure your truck does the same for you.
    Sorry, Squirrel, that one was somewhat tongue in cheek and was aimed at a couple of people who have some inside knowledge. All of your comments are very true.

The follow up is, we carry a 35', 2-24s, a 14' roof, a 10' attic and a 13' Little Giant.

The difference is, they're on the first out engine.

The now second out engine has a 35', a 26', 14' roof, a 12' roof and an 8' attic ladder.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I agree 100% on the 2 section ladder thing. My old job had a 2 section 40ft that was easier to use than a 3 section 35. World of difference.

FTM-PTB
    Add another vote to this one.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Thread Information