Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ventilation

Default Ventilation

Do your nozzle men every use a fog stream to vent a room? We recently discussed the topic, but I have never seen it done. Is it really effective at venting?

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Do your nozzle men every use a fog stream to vent a room? We recently discussed the topic, but I have never seen it done. Is it really effective at venting?
    Yes, we train and use it. Works very well if done correctly.

It's not my first choice as it can add water damage and it wastes water. Sometimes we are operating from a tender shuttle.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

This form of ventilation has been around for years and is very usefull. It is handy after an initial knockdown of a room/contents fire when the interior team needs to remove some smoke for better visability. It should not cause any additional water damage since you are in the room anyway, and you are sticking the nozzle out the window (fog pattern) which will draw the smoke out of the room. This can be done with Tender/Tanker operations because you are only doing this for 2-4 mins. then you can set up fans.

It is just another tool in the tool box, so to speak.

T.J.

Forum Member

We do it all the time - it works great.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Likewise, we use it routinely, and it's very effective....

The biggest mistake I usually see used with this method is that the nozzleman is too close to the window. Make sure you're about 6' back and covering about 90% of the window, and you'll find that the air currents created are much more effective.

Forum Member

We do it at almost every job. Works great, just tell the fellas to get the hell out of the doorway so you can actually pull air from somewhere. Works best with well perfromed horizontal ventilation.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Agreed, works excellent. In a multi storey application, often far better than a PPV on the ground floor.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We use it a lot on sfd room and contents fire. Get a quick knock, pop a window and tadaaaa!

In a word-Yes. I thought this was a universally accepted method of ventilation in the fire service. I guess I was wrong.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    In a word-Yes. I thought this was a universally accepted method of ventilation in the fire service. I guess I was wrong.
    Big difference between teaching a technique in theory class, and actually getting a chance to use it. Many small depts don't have the training space or opportunities to try everything in the book. I was on my Dept for probably four years before I had the chance to try hydraulic ventilation on a real fire.

When in an emergency situation you go back to your training and practice. If you haven't practiced it, you likely won't try it on scene.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Good point. It seems to me that this would be a handy tool that every fire control or ventilation instructor would want to make sure that their students got down pat.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Funny thing this thread. We actually smoked up a structure with theater smoke and let the probies perform this skill last week.

Don't misunderstand my concerns about water usage.... it's a quick easy way to move a lot of smoke fast.

We use it a lot.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Funny you should mention this...

I was told of a recent fire in my old job where the Chief was actually upset when the men inside used hydraulic ventilation after a fire in a house and the fog stream was hitting the exterior of the house next door some 25-30 ft away. (not hard mind you but more or less giving it a washing as would occur in a heavy thunderstorm)

Someone tell us what are the exteriors of houses meant to do???...thats right...shed and repell water!

Only reinforces my decision to leave that place when I did.

Hydraulic ventilation is a useful and practical tactic that is used here more often than not. Done it many times and it works well to expell the smoke condition after a fire is extinuguished.

FTM-PTB

We use it all the time here, the official term for this is Hydraulic Ventilation. Works great for a one room fire and you want to clear all the smoke/heat out quickly
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    We use it all the time here, the official term for this is Hydraulic Ventilation.

Same here. We teach it as a fundamental part of recruit school.

We do it all the time... it's called "power venting".
    You just have to have someone keep an eye behind you, as the movement of air via the hose stream can cause anything smouldering to flare up.,. so one must be ready to stop the vent and wet down the area.

PS: if you are going to power vent... look out the window first and let anybody there know what you are going to do.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    PS: if you are going to power vent... look out the window first and let anybody there know what you are going to do.
    You must be joking! The only people standing outside the windows are usually chiefs... I warn no one!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

"Hydraulic ventilation" . . "Power venting" . . . . whatever you want to call it, an important thing is to remove all glass before you shoot water through the window. Chunks of glass can go flying and hit someone outside.
    And yes I agree with everyone here, it works good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    You must be joking! The only people standing outside the windows are usually chiefs... I warn no one!
    I guess Gonzo knew you'd be on the nozzle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    It's not my first choice as it can add water damage
    Not sure about adding water damage. The water is going out the window with the smoke and heat.

Thread Information