Forum Member

Default Rusty Thomas in Fire Chief Magazine

http://firechief.com/leadership/inci...ting_put_task/

If you haven't seen it the Charleston Chief is in Fire Chief magazine this month.

Forum Member

What an egomaniac-I promoted every single person to their rank, I wrote the specs on every truck, I interview every new hire. Sounds like they need someone who's willing to listen to other people's opinions and delegate some responsibility to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    What an egomaniac-I promoted every single person to their rank, I wrote the specs on every truck, I interview every new hire. Sounds like they need someone who's willing to listen to other people's opinions and delegate some responsibility to others.

I didn't want to say it...

Running a dictatorship is the best path to a narrow vision, and an eventual coup. I would love to hear from the SC Boys.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I would love to hear from the SC Boys.
    This blog is run by (I believe)a retired Charleston FF, he's been all over the Dept's issues and the local coverage.

http://www.firefighterhourly.com/

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Nice promotional process you have down there "Chief Rusty".
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll have to admit...I watched some of the Chief's comments during the memorial service on CNN. He had me believing that he was a true leader with his department. Sounds like he's not what I thought he was...I hope that they can make positive changes that prevent further LODDs. AND, I hope that my department learns from them, so that we don't do the same....

Stay safe out there...

MembersZone Subscriber
    Hardeeville, Jasper County, South Carolina

Default Charleston FD

I live in South Carolina about 2 hours south of Charleston. I live and work within 15 minutes of Savannah GA, and therefore know very little about Charleston FD and their problems. Nor will I bad mouth a department, period. However, having read the article in Chief, I did notice the OSHA fines and what they were for. I also noticed the OSHA fines for the Sofa Superstore. Reading that doors were padlocked during normal business hours makes me wonder what kind of code enforcement they had going on? I don't know who is responsible for inspections and code enforcement, but apparently it wasn't being done like it should have been. I may be wrong, I don't know. I think that losing 9 brothers is a devastating tragedy, and signal that we all need to stop and look at the situation. We all need to stop and examine our own policies and practices and see what we need to change. While I may not agree with what I read, I don't know enough about the situation to comment beyond what I have. I know what I have read on www.sconfire.com and in the Charleston paper on the internet, but that isn't a whole lot. My prayers go out to them, and I hope that things get better for the bravest in Charleston.

Robert M. Lassiter
    Firefighter/NREMT-I
    Levy Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by robertlassiter View Post
    Reading that doors were padlocked during normal business hours makes me wonder what kind of code enforcement they had going on? I don't know who is responsible for inspections and code enforcement, but apparently it wasn't being done like it should have been. I may be wrong, I don't know.

I have no clue about Charleston either, but unfortunately, not all communities conduct random and unannounced inspections. When the schedule is either known or predictable from year to year, it is not hard to "clean up" a little beforehand.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!.............

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    ............. unfortunately, not all communities conduct random and unannounced inspections. When the schedule is either known or predictable from year to year, it is not hard to "clean up" a little beforehand.

Exactly!! and this happens a lot more than we know....... Even those who are strong adherents of "Going by the Book" need to look around once in a while, just to see if things ARE what they seem.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

He really should hang it up.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information