Default Question about burn time....

Hi- I am an investigator with a law firm and have a couple of questions. The firm will be hiring a prefessional arson investigator, but I need a couple of answers now so I can put some things together:

What is the minimum amount of time it would take between a barn being lit on fire (old, falling down and full of hay) and someone being able to see a significant amount of smoke from one mile away? I do not yet know if accelerant was used, but lets assume it was not.

Thanks,

Heidi

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by meusgeier View Post
    Hi- I am an investigator with a law firm and have a couple of questions. The firm will be hiring a prefessional arson investigator, but I need a couple of answers now so I can put some things together:

What is the minimum amount of time it would take between a barn being lit on fire (old, falling down and full of hay) and someone being able to see a significant amount of smoke from one mile away? I do not yet know if accelerant was used, but lets assume it was not.

Thanks,

Heidi
    There is absolutely no way to answer your question without a complete and thorough investigation and and analysis of the incident.

This sounds like a scenario that a volunteer fire fighter was arrested for arson for recently. Get a good investigator. You'll need it.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Couldnt agree more, there are just to many variables in a statment such as that!, while on the subject and talking about ROS, here is an interesting one. Goining through an investigators report, and over estimated the wind speed of a wild fire (over estimate of some 20 - 30Knots) this said, according to his fire dept this does this does not effect ROS / or other factors such as relative humidtity. Starting to wonder what on earth is going on these days

Thread Information