Default Home fire hazard

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

My wife has 20% ownership of a Victorian house in San Francisco. She has two sisters who own the balance and live in the house. The sisters have obsessive compulsive disorder and hoard all sorts of things, primarily paper and cardboard. They steadfastly refuse to throw anything away. Many rooms in the house are stacked chest high with paper and cardboard.

As a Victorian house in San Fransisco, it is quite close to its neighbors. With a 20% ownership, my wife has a 20% responsibility/liability should a fire catastrophe happen.

My question is this: As a significant fire hazard to adjacent properties, is there any action the city or fire department can take to force clean up inside this house?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default SF Task Force on Compulsive Hoarding

Nobody's replied to this post yet? I looked up a number for you, and a website that I linked to below. A good way to procrastinate is to look stuff up for other people, eh?

For such a thing as hoarding, it takes the coordination of health providers and civil departments working together to prevent the sort of almost-disaster that his poor woman suffers when her children are forced to intervene before she is evicted:
    http://www.seethrough-films.com/mmg/trailer.html

In June 2007, in partnership with the City and County of San Francisco Department of Aging and Adult Services, MHA-SF launched The San Francisco Task Force on Compulsive Hoarding, convening representatives from major city departments, housing providers, service providers, and others with the goal to coordinate services to reduce eviction and homelessness and improve the quality of life for those who compulsively hoard.

For more information, contact Belinda Lyons at (415) 421-1882 or belinda@mha-sf.org

source: http://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding...ouncements.php

http://mha-sf.org/

Unfortunately many of the resource links on the mha-sf site are broken *sigh* despite the site looking professional and having up-to-date news. So the best option would be to try emailing Belinda and seeing what you get.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbusse1 View Post
    I hope this is the right forum for this question.

My wife has 20% ownership of a Victorian house in San Francisco. She has two sisters who own the balance and live in the house. The sisters have obsessive compulsive disorder and hoard all sorts of things, primarily paper and cardboard. They steadfastly refuse to throw anything away. Many rooms in the house are stacked chest high with paper and cardboard.

As a Victorian house in San Fransisco, it is quite close to its neighbors. With a 20% ownership, my wife has a 20% responsibility/liability should a fire catastrophe happen.

My question is this: As a significant fire hazard to adjacent properties, is there any action the city or fire department can take to force clean up inside this house?

Thanks,
    Bob
    I dont know what to tell you about the ownership of the house and your wife's rights.

I work for a small community in Pa. as a fire inspector under the Fire Marshal's office. Community has adopted a fire inspection/property maintenance inspection program (following all ICC Codes) for all rental properties in the community. Each and every rental unit gets inspected every 2 years.

Last year, I prosecuted an 82 year old woman for this very thing. She lived in a one bedroom apartment, and in the entire apartment, she has enough room to sit in one chair, and she slept on one loveseat. In fact, there is a thread about it in this very forum.

Under the International Fire Code, I was successful in citing an overabundance of stored combustibles, combustibles too close to heat-producing appliances, and candle use (her power was frequently shut off) amidst the stored combustibles. She was also cited under the PMC for pests and vermin violations (cockroaches/flies/mice).

She was non-compliant in efforts to get her to clean up. We took her to court. Without going into a long story, we advised the judge that we did not want to persecute her, but simply wanted her to comply, that is, clean up her apartment as she was affecting the lives of numerous other persons residing in the 30 unit building.

The Judge, with the assistance of her family and county agencies for the elderly, had her removed from the apartment and entered into an assisted living center, for reasons I wont get into.

Bottom line is, I dont know about California laws, but I was succesful in obtaining compliance under the ICC Fire Codes and Property Maintenance Codes.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information