MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oral Board Interview

I have an interview with the city of tampa. Just curious if anyone knows what to expect on the interview itself? What type of questions should I be prepared to answer?

Thanks

Forum Member

One thing that always helped me was to just look at a list of common interview questions and come up with an answer to all of them. In my experience the first oral board seems to have alot of the usual questions that are asked in all job interviews. If you have a specific example, story, or answer to go along with each question they ask you won't have to sit there and think of something to say. And not everything has to be fire related, if you have a story or an answer that has to do with another job or something else completely I wouldn't be afraid to answer with it. It shows you aren't always fire all the time. In my experience when you have some good answers already in your head it helps you relax a little bit and feel more confident on what you are saying to them. Do a search online for common interview questions, true they probably won't ask you all of them you find and they might throw in some department specific questions but if you think of specific answers for the tough ones especially I think you will feel much better going into the interview and come off as more confident. Just my opinion, and maybe a way to help prepare I hope it will help you out. Good luck in Tampa.

Forum Member

Truck18 Good advice. Sounds familiar.

The firefighter interview is like not other. Personalizing your answers to any of the possible oral board questions and practicing with a recorder (the recorder goes everywhere you car keys go) will put you in a better position for your oral board. You can find a sample list of questions here: http://www.eatstress.com/thirty22.htm
    Last edited by CaptBob; 10-31-2007 at 01:13 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Jharr3 View Post
    I have an interview with the city of tampa. Just curious if anyone knows what to expect on the interview itself? What type of questions should I be prepared to answer?

Thanks

Bro- If you plan on just walking in there and winging it, dont even bother showing up. If youre going to go in and use 80s phases like "Team Player" and "Give back to the community", dont even bother gasing the car.

You need to get original and find some truew qualities in yourself. Why do you want this job. What have you really done to prepare. Please tell us about yourself.

I would recommend looking at the material above and really getting a game plan together. Please PM me if you need a starting point.

-Bou

Forum Member

Default There is nothing better than being prepared

If someone gave you the questions they will ask, and told you what to say, they would be doing you a disservice. First you would only be prepared for that test. Second you would sound like them and not you.

You need to get an answer you feel comfortable to the most often asked questions. Memorize them, so that you couldnít forget them if you wanted. Then you are prepared for every test, not just that one.

I tell people to start with the following:

1. Tell us a little about yourself
    2.Why do you want to be a firefighter?
    3.What have you done to prepare for the job of firefighter?
    4. Why do you want to work for this city, or agency?
    5. What is customer service, and how does it affect us in the fire service?
    6. What is ethnic diversity, and how does it affect us in the fire service?
    7. A closing statement?

While they can ask you many different questions, these seem to come up most often. I would start with getting comfortable with telling them what you have done to prepare, basically an oral resume. Then work out a good response to why you want to work for their department, or what do you know about their department. These will usually count for a lot of your score, and we want you to sound comfortable and confident when you are talking about yourself, and our department. If you donít sound comfortable and confident in yourself, itís harder for us to feel comfortable and confident in giving you this opportunity.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Truck18 Good advice. Sounds familiar.

The firefighter interview is like not other. Personalizing your answers to any of the possible oral board questions and practicing with a recorder (the recorder goes everywhere you car keys go) will put you in a better position for your oral board. You can find a sample list of questions here: http://www.eatstress.com/thirty.htm
    Now THAT is a SPAM link.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Bro- If you plan on just walking in there and winging it, dont even bother showing up. If youre going to go in and use 80s phases like "Team Player" and "Give back to the community", dont even bother gasing the car.

You need to get original and find some truew qualities in yourself. Why do you want this job. What have you really done to prepare. Please tell us about yourself.

I would recommend looking at the material above and really getting a game plan together. Please PM me if you need a starting point.

-Bou
    Worked for me.... Strong hand shake, let them know what you have done in your life as you answer the questions, let them know you want it, and am more than willing to be the indian on your road to be the chief.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Spam????

I'll say it one more time..."Since when is it spam when a person asks a question and a response is given plus a web site where you can get more FREE info". I call that helping a person out. Nobody is forced to go to the web site . So how about giving a person a break and let someone else get the info he/she needs
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I'll say it one more time..."Since when is it spam when a person asks a question and a response is given plus a web site where you can get more FREE info". I call that helping a person out. Nobody is forced to go to the web site . So how about giving a person a break and let someone else get the info he/she needs
    Agreed, but that particular link provided no information and just on big online infomercial.
    He has since fixed the link to provide 22 sample questions.
    I will take credit for calling out the SPAM and getting the kid real answers.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 10-31-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default It's yours!!

If it takes what you do to get the right answers...so be it. I still think that if an individual tries to get answers to someone who asks and diverts them to a web site even if its theirs I see no problem with that. Maybe it just me but I wish I had this kind of access when I was testing for Fire entance exams.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information