Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kids at the Firehouse/ Calls

What is your departments rules on kids (not in explorers) going to calls. What is your rules about kids being at the firehouse?

In my town me and the 2nd asst. Cheifs' kids are encouraged to show up the 3 of us combined do more around the firehouse than most of the firefighters acually do. Also we can go on calls but not ride the rigs to them.

Forum Member

Nobody goes to runs except on equipment. We don't do the POV thing even for regular members.

The cadets (our younger than 18 teens) can ride equipment to training sites.
    The equipment is officially out of service for such activity.

. .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by Websterfire100 View Post
    What is your departments rules on kids (not in explorers) going to calls. What is your rules about kids being at the firehouse?

In my town me and the 2nd asst. Cheifs' kids are encouraged to show up the 3 of us combined do more around the firehouse than most of the firefighters acually do. Also we can go on calls but not ride the rigs to them.
    Actually going on runs, hell no. We have had calls where some of the members were babysitting, brought the kids and someone at the hall on standby watched over them. As for kids in the hall, if they are supervised by a member or a group leader they can be there. Any calls come or whatever they have to leave.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Volunteer Department,

People bring their kids by the station all the time.

My son (age 10) loves to come down and help wash trucks. He learned how to roll hoses when he was 8.

Go on calls??? no way. Not in a million years. He has been part of the spectator crowd, just like any civilian.

We do have fire corps volunteers who will babysit at the station on fire calls. This has helped us recruit single parents who wouldn't be able to volunteer otherwise.

Some Guy

I am wth Kiwi. I wish the chair had a seat belt.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Websterfire100 View Post

Can someone please help me understand what the second paragraph has to do with the first???

chief, I think webster is trying to make himself feel better about taking children to the fire scene.

Years ago, my father left me at the firehouse with an old life member. I spent quite a bit of time at the house long before I was a member. I guess thats what made me want to do this job....
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

I think he's a kid himself trying to get some support...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

I'm sorry, children don't belong running around at a station, much less following my truck to a call. The only time kids come by is when they are doing a station tour or when they come by with their mother to see their father.... And some of you wonder why full-timer's look down on some vollie departments

Forum Member

We've got kids coming to the firehouse all the time. But never, and I mean nver, have we had one come on a call with us. Its nice to able to share some of our work with the family, but we can't put them in danger just for thrills.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hmmmm.........

Quote Originally Posted by kd7fds View Post
    Volunteer Department,

People bring their kids by the station all the time.

Go on calls??? no way. Not in a million years. He has been part of the spectator crowd, just like any civilian.

We do have fire corps volunteers who will babysit at the station on fire calls. This has helped us recruit single parents who wouldn't be able to volunteer otherwise.

There you go again KD, thinking outside the box. Arranging a sitter so single parents can Volunteer, Great Idea.

Some of our Volunteers bring their kids around from time to time, and we have no problems with that. The kids do not mess with gear, climb on the rigs, etc. and the parents are quite aware that they are supervising their kids, or else. Having a few simple Rules, and ensuring that they are followed, goes a long way............ Quite a few of our members have come up "Thru the family" and almost all have done very well over the years. Kids do show up at Training events, Calls, and other happenings, BUT, they are treated the same as any other bystander, with regard to keeping out of the way of the working people, and maintaining a safe distance from any hazards like Traffic, Supply Lines, etc.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1137 View Post
    I'm sorry, children don't belong running around at a station, much less following my truck to a call. The only time kids come by is when they are doing a station tour or when they come by with their mother to see their father.... And some of you wonder why full-timer's look down on some vollie departments
    Wow! Hair in butt much? And some full-timers wonder why vollies think they are stuck up

Just a different lifestyle Alex no reason to beat up on it.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of how my vollie department treats this is dependant on the kid. Our Explorer post allows them as young as 14, so that takes in some of the kids. Our problem is that we have a relatively young department, so we deal with kids much younger than that. As long as they are supervised and we're not doing drills or something that can be interupted by the kids (work days and such), they're more than welcome, especially if that's the only way the member can attend (no babysitter).

When it comes to calls, we stay somewhat flexible. Only two of us have this issue during the daytime as we work as career firefighters and watch our kids on our days off while the wives work. On occassion, our kids will come with us to a call. They remain in the vehicle and supervised by one of the Explorers or one of the medical responders if it's a fire. If it's an MVA or medical, we really don't like to have them present as it's too hard to have someone watching them.

Basically, it's all dependant on the situation. I do like the Fire Corp idea, though. I may have to look into that as a possible option.

Forum Member

Our members can bring their childern in with them for a visit, but must directly supervise them at all times.

Absolutely no children allowed on calls (POV or not), at drills, or on or around any apparatus that's doing anything but sitting parked in the station or sitting parked at a public relations/fire prevention detail somewhere. In this day and age, you just can't take chances.

No kids here ..........you can bring them to the station (not on a calll) .........get a run ........you dont go.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

if it is a" planned tour"(with school for example),kids are ok,to see trucks but forbidden for runs.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

On my old vollie department,if a kid was brought by a responder,that someone or most junior member responding would get detailed to stay behind,unless a wife,girlfriend,etc was there at the station.
    I've seen a few kids sitting in "Daddy's truck" by the side of the road when he responded POV but riding the rig to the call wasn't going to happen.
    We never had kids in the engines when travelling to parades or school visits,even though the rig was out of service.During the pee-rade,they and all riders were inside.No one was allowed to ride in the hosebed,pump panel or back step due to the risk of falls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    if it is a" planned tour"(with school for example),kids are ok,to see trucks but forbidden for runs.

One thing I always chuckled at during school visits was when we'd let the kids climb into the seats,they ALWAYS start to put on the seatbelts thinking we were taking them for a ride.
    Most of them were too small to see out the windows but it's always good to know that their parents taught them to use the seatbelts.

Forum Member

Ah the good old days. I spent many an hour at my fathers fire house and it was even better if a call came in while we were going somewhere and I got to go to the scene and just sit in the car. Back then you could leave an 8yo in a car without some do gooder bitchin and crying and child neglect. Usually when a call came in we kids would just go into the office and sit around till everybody came back then we would help clean up. Now I just had to retire from my dept. cause we cant bring kids to the station when we have a call. Its to bad but Im sure someplace a lawyer is proud. I can also remember guys used to drop their kids off at the liquor store across the street from my home town dept. (It was run by one of our guys wife)
    I'm here to save your ***** not kiss it!!

Thread Information