I am participating in The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training program, raising funds to support the Society’s mission of finding a cure for all blood related cancers and improving the quality of life of patients battling these diseases. Participants in Team In Training (TNT) raise money for the Society while training to complete a marathon, half marathon, triathlon or century (100 mile) bike ride.

I am currently raising money, and training to participate in the Disney World Half Marathon in January. I am training and raising funds in support of my Personal Honored Teammate, Turlough Meehan. Turlough’s father, Phelim, is a member of the Dennis Fire Department, in Dennis Massachusetts.

Turlough was born June 23, and has been in Boston Children’s Hospital since early August, battling Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia. JML is a rare infant cancer and it is rarely found in someone so young. JML one of the most difficult cancers to treat, it is treated with intensive chemo that will have many side effects that will cause Turlough to be very very ill.

Currently in his treatment, Turlough is being given an extremely severe regimen of chemo in order to prepare him for a bone marrow transplant. On November 10, the fire station in Dennis will be holding a bone marrow screening to try and locate a compatible match for Turlough. If you do nothing else, please look into being screened as a potential bone marrow donor.

If you are interested in making a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in support of Turlough, you may do so by credit card on the following website: http://www.active.com/donate/tntnca04/kevinwdwhalf or by contacting me (kjfrederici@yahoo.com) for mailing information if you’d rather donate by check. In either case, if you or anyone from your local station makes a donation, I would like to get a department patch from you to add to a framed display that I will present to the family as a token of the support they are receiving from all over the country.

Thank you for your support and all that you do to help others in need.