Thread: new york city

MembersZone Subscriber

Default new york city

I will be there for about three or four days, how much spending money should I bring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wyr76365 View Post
    I will be there for about three or four days, how much spending money should I bring.
    ALOT!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

How much do you have? Bring it.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    How much do you have? Bring it.
    Plus a $2,000 loan

Forum Member

It depends on how much you want to get stolen.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

How much $$? Ya want to actually do anything, take wads of it!

MembersZone Subscriber

New York City-

Pack of gum: $5.00
    Gas per gallon: $3.59
    Pizza w/ Pepperoni: $30.00

Getting mugged in a subway going back to your hotel room: PRICELESS!!!
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends on what you plan on doing.

A one day all you can ride subway pass costs $7.

A slice of pizza runs about $2-3

An average cab ride can cost $10-20.

Resturants are a cheap as Kennedys fried chicken to the most expensive food you've ever heard of.

Most things cost money...Empire State $11 I think. Ellis Island/statue of liberty costs $15 or thereabouts...many museums and sights cost
    from $5-20+.

I would carry some cash and use credit where you can so as to better track and plan for your trip.(you can pay up after you are back)

A number of bars and resturants are Cash only enterprises...so keep this in mind.

What do you want to see?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Fred, how much do those really slick watches cost? You know, the ones sold by the enterprising young gentlemen with the quick release bed sheets? I heard that you can get a really good deal on a REAL Rolex?

Also, I figure Knicks tickets ought to be pretty easy to get...
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Hey Fred, how much do those really slick watches cost? You know, the ones sold by the enterprising young gentlemen with the quick release bed sheets? I heard that you can get a really good deal on a REAL Rolex?

Also, I figure Knicks tickets ought to be pretty easy to get...
    Oh those young men who stroll around Battery Park?

Insiders tip...most any "Rolex" where the second hand jerks or clicks ahead with Quartz movement is a phony(Rolex does make one watch with Quartz movement...but it is of limited production) and if someone trys to sell you one with a smooth arching movement on the second hand for cheap...congrats this is proably a real Rolex....and proabably "hot" as well! ...you'd best keep on walking.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

how much spending money should I bring
    as much as you are willing to spend.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems to me that this...

you'd best keep on walking

is good advice for dealing with any non-hot dog/pretzel selling street vendor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nyc

wyr76365

Like FFFRED stated it depends on what you want to do! Many people believe that if you come into NYC you have to spend alot of money. This is not true. Like already stated you can find a sit down cheep meal for under 10 or you can find a place and sit down and spend well over 100 a person.
    Peruse the internet and look around for things you want to do and price them out.
    What ever you do DO NOT go and eat at some chain restaurant. The city has so many good restaurants with long history and great FOOD!! Not all these places are expensive either!! If you need any ideas just ask. I am sure there are many people here that can give you some advice!!

If you are over the age of 21 I would recomend McSorley's at 15 E Seventh for some Liquid lunch or dinner! Lots of history and an interesting place!

Enjoy your trip!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

I will be there for new years eve, not real sure what our plans are gonna be yet

Forum Member

I will be there for new years eve, not real sure what our plans are gonna be yet
    Are you going to do the Times Square thing?

MembersZone Subscriber

That's a good time to go. There's hardly anybody there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    The city has so many good restaurants with long history and great FOOD!!
    But most of them don't have much of a history, will be gone three-four months after they open and their food is not that great.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Dont waste your time with all the other crap. You want some real good food....head to Arthur Ave.

You have to get a dirty water dog. No matter what anyone tells you, they taste good!

If you want to do the Empire State building, go before dinner, and if you want to see it at night, go up to the top early andhang out up there. The line tends to wrap all the way around 34th street at night. (they also have a rip off plan where you can buy a ticket plus a 3D animated ride through NYC. After you watch the 3D ride, you basically go to the front of the line for the elevator to the top.) Its expensive though.

Each borough has their "must see" places, and usually, Manhattan will be where you drop the most money. The better bars/restaurants etc (and less expensive ones) are usually found away from the tourist traps. Times Square is great to see if you have never been, but the 8 dollar beers, ESPECIALLY near New Years and New Years eve, dont taste any different than the 3 dollar beers downtown or on the upper east side.

Da Bronx has of course Yankee Stadium, which Im pretty sure still operate tours year round, and fairly cheap, Arthur Ave (good food, excellent atmosphere, decent prices for most of the restaurants), the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens (DONT GO ON WEDNESDAYS!, its free, so you can imagine the clientele that heads there on the free-o days). City Island in the Bronx also has some great restaurants, except its no fun trying to get there. The other places are all easily accessible by subway.

Queens has....well Queens is nice too.

Brooklyn has some of the best restaurants and pizza places you will ever find. You will get real NY pizza, not that crap that ChicagoFF eats. And most of the time it will be cheaper than the touristy areas.

The best, easiest and cheapest way to get around is to take the subway. And contrary to popular belief, if you ask for help, you will probably get it. Just ask the right person.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget the best deal in town, the Staten Island Ferry is the last free thing in NYC. 1 or 9 train to South Ferry or the R to Whitehall. Great views of Downtown NYC and Statue of Liberty for the price of $0.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Dont waste your time with all the other crap. You want some real good food....head to Arthur Ave.

You have to get a dirty water dog. No matter what anyone tells you, they taste good!

If you want to do the Empire State building, go before dinner, and if you want to see it at night, go up to the top early andhang out up there. The line tends to wrap all the way around 34th street at night. (they also have a rip off plan where you can buy a ticket plus a 3D animated ride through NYC. After you watch the 3D ride, you basically go to the front of the line for the elevator to the top.) Its expensive though.

Each borough has their "must see" places, and usually, Manhattan will be where you drop the most money. The better bars/restaurants etc (and less expensive ones) are usually found away from the tourist traps. Times Square is great to see if you have never been, but the 8 dollar beers, ESPECIALLY near New Years and New Years eve, dont taste any different than the 3 dollar beers downtown or on the upper east side.

Da Bronx has of course Yankee Stadium, which Im pretty sure still operate tours year round, and fairly cheap, Arthur Ave (good food, excellent atmosphere, decent prices for most of the restaurants), the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens (DONT GO ON WEDNESDAYS!, its free, so you can imagine the clientele that heads there on the free-o days). City Island in the Bronx also has some great restaurants, except its no fun trying to get there. The other places are all easily accessible by subway.

Queens has....well Queens is nice too.

Brooklyn has some of the best restaurants and pizza places you will ever find. You will get real NY pizza, not that crap that ChicagoFF eats. And most of the time it will be cheaper than the touristy areas.

The best, easiest and cheapest way to get around is to take the subway. And contrary to popular belief, if you ask for help, you will probably get it. Just ask the right person.
    Queens has the National Tennis Center. Where, for two weeks a year, even mid-town Manhattan restaurant owners have been heard to say; "My God the food is expensive".

Forum Member

Hey nyckftbl...any suggestions for a good simple place on Arthur Ave. to eat. Not concerned about atmosphere, just good food...Ate at Rinos on Tremont Ave across from E-72 the other day. Good place, alot of locals and regulars.

Forum Member

Great Italian...Bemonte's on Withers st. in Brooklyn, out of the way place with no tourists and great food.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Hey nyckftbl...any suggestions for a good simple place on Arthur Ave. to eat. Not concerned about atmosphere, just good food...Ate at Rinos on Tremont Ave across from E-72 the other day. Good place, alot of locals and regulars.
    Dominicks is always good, a bit touristy at times, but the food is always good. Emilias is good too.

If you are looking for sandwiches/lunch, Mikes deli isnt bad. Although personally I think their sandwiches have fallen off in the past year or so. Inside the Arthur Ave Market on the east side of Arthur there is another deli, the name is not coming to me right now. Very good sandwiches, and their stuffed pork loin is unbelievable. Marios isnt bad either, and Tinos does good lunch items.

You can never go wrong in Tremont either, or even just head east from Arthur Ave towards Morris Park. There is a restaurant in that area called Mama Marias? I think, have heard nothing but amazing reviews.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    Great Italian...Bemonte's on Withers st. in Brooklyn, out of the way place with no tourists and great food.
    Never been, but Im convinced Brooklyn has more out of the way, hidden gem restaurants than anywhere else.

And better pizza than Chicago.

Forum Member

If you're in the Radio City area, I would recommend the "top of the rock". Excellent views from midtown, on a clear day you can see all the way down to the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn bridge on one side, walk to the other side and see central park and the Bronx. And it has one advantage over the Empire state building, you can SEE the Empire State building amongst the skyline.

Larry

Thread Information