MembersZone Subscriber

Default Group interview little different

I have an upcoming interview with the chiefs of a dept and they are going to interview candidates as a group. I know from the letter that there are only ten groups has anybody heard of this style of interview before and what I should expect. Thanks

Forum Member

Default Google

If you google group interviews and then go to about.com it will tell you all about the proceedure of a group interview.
    I hope this will help.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default Leaderless Group Discussion

You will see more of a group setting in promotions. The goal here is to see how you interact with the other candidates.

Here's how it can play out in a promotional setting:

Leaderless Group Discussion

I refer to this segment as the “Needless” group discussion. In this exercise, several, if not all, the candidates are placed in a room and given a topic to try and solve. Many candidates are of the impression all you have to do is force your way in taking control of the group and keep it. This is not true because the purpose of the exercise is to see how you interact with others in this environment with problem solving. There are many ways to make the right impression:

It can be as simple as volunteering to be the recorder or timekeeper to keep the meeting going. As the timekeeper you can announce that someone’s time is up and redirect the meeting to someone else. As the recorder, you can interject with the points you interpret the person speaking is trying to make with your own twist.

If someone hasn’t voiced his or her opinion, you can say, “We haven’t heard from Don yet. I’d like to hear what he has to say.”

If there is a white board in the room. You could change the direction and dimension by getting up and putting major points on the board and calling on others’ for input.

For the introvert or the person who has a problem getting into the discussion, wait until a number of people have spoken. Then, pick up your pen or pencil and wave it around to gain the floor. Reiterate what several candidates have said about a topic to and bring about a solution with, “If I understand Joyce and Phil, they feel a seniority list should be used for overtime. And, Don and Karen think an employee should be able to work down in rank if needed for overtime. If we use both ideas, we have a solution could be obtained with a policy that covers the selection of employees for overtime. Is everyone in agreement?

You let everyone work themselves up into a frenzy then make a conclusion of the ideas to solve the problem. It’s like a dark horse that’s running last in a race. As you come around the clubhouse turn, you come from behind the pack, go to the whip and win. You can do this several times during the discussion to finally get everyone to agree.

Donna gave one of the best ways to score high in this arena. As candidates were jockeying for position, she stated, “Since the combined IQ around this table is greater than any one person, I would like to go around the table and hear every ones’ idea on this situation. It brought the almost out of control candidates, who were trying to jockey for position, and the raters to a screeching halt. Donna got full agreement. As she called on each of the candidates around the table, she had the recorder post the major points on the white board.

As the last person finished, Donna had the best ideas from the group in a logical sequence to gain approval for a conclusion. Subtly, Donna had taken control of the discussion by becoming the facilitator, gaining major points, allowing everyone to participate, and obtaining a consensus for agreement.

Jim used our program and called us after the results of his assessment center were official. One of his competitors said it was torture having to sit through the leadership group discussion with Jim who was far more prepared than we were. Jim was shocked the next day by being number #1 by over a point his first time out for captain.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Is this Federal Way/South King Fire & Rescue?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No

No it is a dept in the midwest and I not sure where the dept. is that you are reffering to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks Capt.Bob

I thought it was somthing like that, I have asked some of my mentor's about this type of process and thats along what they had said. You brough up some good points to help ready myself. thanks again

Forum Member

You will see more of a group setting in promotions. The goal here is to see how you interact with the other candidates.

Here's how it can play out in a promotional setting:

Leaderless Group Discussion

Capt Bob, I'm not sure this is what they are talking about when they use the term "group interview". I think what you posted is from one of your manuals on testing, and it sounds very helpful, but it doesn't sound like a group interview.
    From my experience in civilian jobs, this has been in use for more than a decade- I experienced it with an airline company and 2 different restaurants years ago, and I was the interviewer at a hospital I work at part time.

It is a tool to look at more candidates in less time, and get a feel for their behavior amongst other candidates.

Typically, there's a table with 4-6 candidates, and the interviewer.
    The interviewer asks questions around the table to each subject.
    Often the same question will be asked to all candidates, so the ability to think on your feet and create a distinctive response is key.
    It's ok to play off of the other's responses.
    It's a good idea to actively listen to the other candidates. (ie eye contact, nod empathetically, etc).
    Some group interviews will have the candidates spend a few minutes getting information from each other, and then they will "present" the other candidate to the group.

Really nothing strange about it, although I haven't heard of it being used in the fire service.

Good Luck
    Last edited by flipper123; 11-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

aneff - No biggie, Lou. I noticed you've tested out Seattle way and they are one of many departments out there and thought you were moving on with them. (No idea where they are in their process.)

flipper - That sounds similar to the first round interview I had heard SKF&R use a couple years back. No idea if they are still using it. Seemed to work well for them.

Forum Member

Bam- is that SKFR the new dept in the Des Moines area?
    I'm with Tacoma Fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes. That's the one.
    Very interesting process. It's the one department I had to remove myself from their list since the interview process spanned 3-4 days straight. No way I could have taken time off from work to do it. Work needed 48 hour notice for a vacation day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seattle heck yeah

Yep I made it to the second interview and bombed it, which in that process flying back and fourth was tough, and on the second interview I only had 6 day notice. My wife and I have been looking out there but we had a close call with a close love one and realized if anything were to happen it would be hard to come back. I did apply with the Mason County FPD #2 for a CO but for some reason I didnt get asked to interview? I had all their requirments and more but oh well. I am currently working for a really great dept. now but I want to go bigger and since I work for a smaller dept. (25 paid members) I kinda of missed out on my FF years and I was hired to a driver and then after several years promoted. Im in the process for three depts. right know and hopefully land some where. All of them are larger and offer a more diverse working enviroment. I have to give mad props to my current dept. for making me what I am today.

14 years is a long time to just start over but I think thats what I need, so we will see what happens if the current dept. gives us that fat raise there talking about that will make it even harder to start over.

But if I stay I will be happy and content and keep working my butt off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default firefighter

Hey, have you had your interview yet?.....Just wondering how it went.

Thread Information