Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Rescue equipment

What kind of rescue equipment do you like? Looking at jaws, rams, air bags, cutting torches, saws, etc.

Forum Member

I worked with Hurst tools for the past 4 years on the rescue in Springdale. They were bought new 5 years ago. I prefer Amkus however, and purchased Amkus at my volunteer dept. in Huntsville last year. The Hurst tools we have are a bit under powered, not user friendly, and just plain heavy. Amkus makes a durable, ergonomic, fast, efficient tool. I would shy away from the Holmatro dual core right now as I've heard that they are having problems with the new hoses. I also have always thought Holmatro was very "delicate". Hurst has the same tech coming out and i wouldn't mess with it either. Let em get the bugs out first. I still say Amkus is the way to go in any case. Just my 2 cents.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I have worked with both Holmatro, Amkus, Champion, TNT and Hurst. I would have to say that Holmatro is hands down the best tool ive ever used.

My Engine Company has a Holmatro Combi Tool, and its great. The Heavy Rescue Company uses all Hurst. For the big jobs, Hurst is what you want. But for 90% of what we roll on, the combi tool is what we like.

Forum Member

Default Torch

I forgot to address the torch issue. I would suggest getting a petrogen torch over oxy/acet. Petrogen torches are a bit safer, cut better, and have ease of operation...I'm not sure what you'll be using it for but those are my thoughts. Don't know what type of stabilization you utilize but I've become quite fond of tele-cribbing. Specifically Rescue 42 struts. I don't know what we did at rollovers before now, and can't imagine not having them.
    Good luck

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We love the ResqJacks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

"Hurst a bit under powered"? I dont think I have ever heard that before... Heavey and non-user...yes but not under powered. But thanks for your advice D.

We have two sets of TNT Rescue Tools that are carried on our two pumpers. We had a set of Homatro before that and I used Amkus when I was a volunteer in Monticello. Personally, I'm not exactly a connoisseur of hydraulic tools. As long as they work when I want them to, I'm happy. All three brands have done that for me.

On our front-line engine, we carry a TNT 28-inch spreader, a cutter, a medium ram, a confined space cutter (pedal cutter) and a chain set. This is in addition to a set of Res-Q-Jack struts, air chisel set, reciprocating saw and set of four airbags.

We are well-prepared considering we've only done a dozen or so extrications in the last three years.

Forum Member

Default Check the specs

Medicd look at the specs. ML 28 by hurst 44k lbs spread force/ amk28 from amkus 53k lbs spread force. Normal Hurst tools really aren't that powerfull. The new Moc series from hurst seems to be though, now we are seeing tools with over 200k lbs of spread force. I hear TnT has a tool with over 300k lbs of force, WOW. I have to wonder, when do we get into the point of diminishing returns though. I've heard that the Res Q Jacks are nice, I use Rescue42 struts though. I'm on their website, go to testimonials under steel struts then click on rollover support, that's my butt your lookin at in the bottom left pic.
    What do you guys like about the ResQJacks? Have you tried anything else to compare? I've worked with some cheapies called Rut Struts and they are fairly useless. An old fireman once told me, "it's not the tools or trucks that make a good fireman." Find what works for you. There's my 2 cents.
    Thanks

Forum Member

I agree Shinn, but I just have never heard anyone ever say Hurst was under powered before. I have used a lot of tools in my years, the only one that I will never go with is the Pheonix... Any way I am just asking around as our department is looking into getting tools and I am the contact man. I just dont want to get some and everyone telling me "I could have told you that..." after the point.

Forum Member

I've never used pheonix, what is wrong with their tools? I'll make one more suggestion Try to get a tool that uses mineral based fluid. It's not hard on rubber and plastics unlike phosphate esther (hurst fluid). Side note, phosphate esther is a skin irritant, if you get it in your eyes it burns your eye lids. No damage done to your eyes but you cant open your eyes for 30mins. because it feels like your eye lids are on fire! I had a life lesson about cleaning hydraulic lines and residual pressure. Had my shield up so I could see better. i'm an idiot.
    Cheers

Forum Member

Your not an idiot Shinn, you have done what the rest of us have... same old call, same old rescue, same old ooooooooooooops I should have followed SOP's! Any way used the Pheonix in Lake Village, had a semi vs car and the car lost. Tried to cut the driver out and it failed (not the 1st time it failed!), watched the patient die while waiting for Dermott fire to get there with their jaws. Don't know if it was just a bad tool or if all of them are under powered and break easy? But that was one of the worst calls I have had, not being able to do anything with a broken tool and feeling a pulse go from 120 to 0.

Thread Information