MembersZone Subscriber

Default Serial Arsonist in the Senate?

This just in...

Fire in Senate Office Building

Nov 2 10:51 AM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. Capitol Police on Friday were investigating the latest in a series of suspicious fires occurring in Senate office buildings.
    Police spokesman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said a small fire was discovered about 8:00 a.m. EDT in a 2nd floor woman's restroom of the Dirksen Senate Office Building. She said it was quickly extinguished and there were no evacuations or injuries.

Schneider said it was at least the 7th confirmed fire in the office buildings since late September. The fires are all suspicious in nature and Capitol Police are exploring the possibility that they are linked, she said.

Capitol Police sent out a mass e-mail in early October noting "a series of small fires that have occurred in the Senate Office Buildings in recent days," and asking for tips. The e-mail said that more building patrols have been added to investigate.

PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

rules hillary out it was in the ladies room

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by towersrock View Post
    rules hillary out it was in the ladies room
    So glad someone beat me to it...I was pondering this one for a while.

Rules out staff, too -- 8 AM on a Friday? No one's there that early.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Is Kentland due on the Senate Office Building?

Forum Member

East of the Pecos...South of North Carolina

" We should really form a committee to look into this fire phenomenon thing ". Quietly to aide; " Are they here for more money again"?!

Senate Pro Tem

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    No...The station on New Jersey Ave would be, I would think. Someone in need of some serious therapy. Pretty sad.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

Forum Member

Its often said that the only way to get anything done in government, you need to light a fire under them...But hang on!!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

It was global warming.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    C'mon, George, everyone knows your dislike for the Kentland folks, but isn't this just a little low?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    Its often said that the only way to get anything done in government, you need to light a fire under them...But hang on!!!
    Ha, that's how the Congressional Fire Services Caucus was formed in the late 80's.

Forum Member

I don't know guys. Malahat works in D.C. and he is known to "report" (many in first hand accounts) on many incidents while on his "walks."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    C'mon, George, everyone knows your dislike for the Kentland folks, but isn't this just a little low?
    Gee, it was just an innocent little question.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to go with radiant heat.
    The Dems have been on fire since taking control of Congress!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

I was going to suggest it was a member of the press, but then I remembered that the TalkingHeads were Burning Down the House and not the Senate.

(How's that for an obscure '80s reference?)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    I have to go with radiant heat.
    The Dems have been on fire since taking control of Congress!
    CR
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Wink

Maybe members of the CFSI should be interviewed!
    Last edited by coldfront; 11-05-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw a teaser on CNN earlier today that it was a Capitol Police officer, of course I can't seem to confirm that on CNN's website, and the only link I saw doesn't work for me http://capitol-police-news.newslib.com/ ...And there's nothing yet on the Washington Post website. Or Fox News...

Forum Member

Post Your right it was a capitol cop!

Member of Capitol Police force charged with arson

Published Thursday, October 11, 2007

FARMERSVILLE — A Farmersville woman who serves on the Capitol Police force is being held in the Montgomery County Jail on $100,000 bond after her arrest this week on an arson charge.

Denisha L. Brethorst, 38, is accused of starting a fire Sunday at 502 Nora St. in Farmersville.
    The fire was reported at approximately 2:30 a.m. Farmersville firefighters responded and requested assistance from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the state fire marshal’s office. There were multiple origins of fire on the property, according to Undersheriff Rick Robbins. The state fire marshal deemed it to be an arson, and the investigation led to Brethorst’s arrest Monday, Robbins said.

Henry Haupt, spokesman for Secretary of State Jesse White, whose office oversees the Capitol Police in Springfield, confirmed that Brethorst is a member of the force.

The Secretary of State Police and personnel are “aware of the situation,” he said Wednesday, adding that Brethorst has been sent a letter telling her she’s on unpaid leave until the matter is resolved.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    Martin--you are ignoring the one and only person who entered Parliament with honourable intentions------

Guy Fawkes
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Nope.................

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    Member of Capitol Police force charged with arson

Published Thursday, October 11, 2007

FARMERSVILLE — A Farmersville woman who serves on the Capitol Police force is being held in the Montgomery County Jail on $100,000 bond after her arrest this week on an arson charge.

Denisha L. Brethorst, 38, is accused of starting a fire Sunday at 502 Nora St. in Farmersville.
    The fire was reported at approximately 2:30 a.m. Farmersville firefighters responded and requested assistance from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the state fire marshal’s office. There were multiple origins of fire on the property, according to Undersheriff Rick Robbins. The state fire marshal deemed it to be an arson, and the investigation led to Brethorst’s arrest Monday, Robbins said.

Henry Haupt, spokesman for Secretary of State Jesse White, whose office oversees the Capitol Police in Springfield, confirmed that Brethorst is a member of the force.

The Secretary of State Police and personnel are “aware of the situation,” he said Wednesday, adding that Brethorst has been sent a letter telling her she’s on unpaid leave until the matter is resolved.

Coldfront, Where'd you find this??........... This is a different Arson thing, not the one that started this thread. Diane, I caught the same blip on TV also, and my wife commented on it, since our late son-in-law was a Capitol Police Officer some years back.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Coldfront, Where'd you find this??........... This is a different Arson thing, not the one that started this thread. Diane, I caught the same blip on TV also, and my wife commented on it, since our late son-in-law was a Capitol Police Officer some years back.

Glad to know I wasn't seeing things. I still can't seem to find it in the "local" press. Even The Hill doesn't have anything on it today.

And Happy 1,000th Post for me!! Almost 9 years in the making...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Here are the Roll Call and Fox News stories, The Hill and the Post have nothing.
    Capitol Police Officer Suspended in Connection With Senate Bathroom Fires
    Monday, Nov. 19, 2007; 4:58 pm
    By Elizabeth Brotherton,
    Roll Call Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Capitol Police officer has been suspended in connection with the series of restroom fires that broke out in Senate office buildings over the past three months.
    Several law enforcement sources who wished to remain anonymous confirmed on Monday that Officer Karen Emory recently has been suspended in connection with the fires, although details about her involvement, including whether she is a suspect in the case, are not known.

Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider refused to comment on the suspension, other than to say that no charges have been filed. “We don’t discuss personnel issues,” she said. “When there is an ongoing investigation I don’t speak about the details in any fashion.”

The fires broke out in women’s restrooms in the Dirksen and Hart Senate office buildings. All were quickly extinguished by Capitol Police, and no injuries were reported.

Emory is listed as the reporting officer on at least one of the incident reports filed related to the fires.

According to her report filed on Nov. 2, Emory checked the women’s restroom near Room 211 of the Hart building at about 8 a.m. and discovered that two of the toilet paper rolls in the handicapped stall appeared to have been burned.

Investigators were then called and collected evidence, according to the incident report.

Another fire took place a few minutes before in the Dirksen Senate Office Building, the last confirmed day that a Senate-side women’s restroom fire has occurred.

The first fire took place in Hart on Sept. 26, and a second blaze, also in Hart, broke out on Sept. 28.

On Oct. 3, three fires took place in women’s restrooms in the Dirksen and Hart buildings, and on Oct. 31, the two buildings were evacuated after a small fire broke out in a stairwell of the Dirksen basement.

The last confirmed blaze that required police response took place in a Dirksen restroom on Nov. 2, prompting the evacuation of that building.

After the Oct. 3 and Nov. 2 blazes, Capitol Police sent out an e-mail alert to Senate staff, seeking any details about suspicious activities or conversations near the restrooms before the fires broke out.

Tips from the Capitol Hill community have been helpful, Capitol Police Chief Phillip Morse said last week.

After testifying at a Capitol Visitor Center oversight hearing, Morse said the department continued to investigate the blazes and had “great investigators” working the case.

“Arson is a difficult type of crime to solve,” Morse said at the time, adding: “I’m very pleased with the progress that we’ve made.”

Members remained quiet about the investigation on Monday.

House Administration Chairman Robert Brady (D-Pa.) has been briefed on the investigation, according to a spokesman.

“Because the investigation is pending, we are unable to comment further,” spokesman Kyle Anderson said.

A spokeswoman for Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), who chairs the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on the Legislative Branch, referred questions to the Capitol Police.

“The Senator is sure the matter will be handled appropriately,” Landrieu spokeswoman Stephanie Allen said.

Copyright 2006 © Roll Call Inc. All rights reserved.
    1 U.S. Capitol Police Officer Suspended, 1 Investigator Reassigned
    Tuesday , November 20, 2007

WASHINGTON —

One U.S. Capitol Police officer has been suspended in connection to the investigation into a series of bathroom fires on the Capitol complex in recent months, and another has been reassigned, FOX News has learned.

Officer Kern Emory has been suspended, but whether she is considered a suspect in the investigation is not known. FOX News has confirmed Emory's suspension, which was first reported Monday afternoon by the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a congressional aide with knowledge of the investigation said "police have asked everyone to be closed- mouth. ... Seh's suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

FOX News learned earlier that a Capitol Police investigator also has been reassigned for apparent work performance problems.

A senior congressional aide with knowledge of the investigation said the U.S. Capitol Police investigator — who was not named — was "not doing a good job," and "on at least one of the fires, the inspector was a half hour late to the scene." The aide spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of an ongoing investigation.

The aide said that the inspector is not suspected of being involved in the fires, but added that the reassignment was a result of not just problems on the fire investigation.

"There were a series of incidents (not related to the fires). The guy was just doing a bad job," the aide said.

It was not immediately clear what the investigator's new assignment was.

The aide said the investigation is continuing, but charges do not appear imminent. Police have requested information from Hart and Dirksen Senate office building staffers.

"There is certainly some suspicion that this is an inside job" by someone who works in the Capitol Hill complex, the aide said, adding that police haven't been ruled out as suspects either.

FOX News' Trish Turner contributed to this report.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jury indicts cop for fire set on Capitol Hill

From The Hill www.thehill.com

Jury indicts cop for fire set on Capitol Hill
    By Jim Snyder
    December 06, 2007

A federal grand jury returned a one-count misdemeanor indictment Wednesday against a U.S. Capitol Police officer accused of setting fire in a Senate office building.

Karen Emory, 36, of Waldorf, Md., faces up to one year in jail. The indictment stems from a fire inside a ladies restroom in the Dirksen Senate Office Building on Nov. 2.

An arraignment date has not yet been set by the court.

Emory is charged with willfully injuring or committing any depredation against property of the United States, U.S. Attorney Jeffrey A. Taylor said in a statement.

The indictment lists the damaged property as “toilet roll dispensers and toilet tissue under the control of the Architect of the Capitol.”

The Nov. 2 incident followed a series of suspicious fires in Senate office buildings on Capitol Hill, all of which were quickly extinguished. There have been no injuries reported in relation to the fires.

But a fire reported on Oct. 31 led to evacuations from Hart and Dirksen offices. That incident followed four, small trashcan fires reported on Oct. 3 in the same two buildings. Three of those fires were found in women’s restrooms.

According to a Justice Department statement, Emory’s indictment only related to the Nov. 2 fire. The other fires remain under investigation by the U.S. Capitol Police.

If convicted, Emory faces up to one year in jail.

In announcing the indictment, Taylor and Chief U.S. Capitol Police Chief Phillip D. Morse, Sr. commended “the excellent work of U.S. Capitol Police Criminal Investigation Division, particularly the lead investigator, Detective Nettie Watts, and the U.S. Capitol Police, Office of the Inspector General. They also commended Assistant U. S. Attorney Angela Schmidt, who indicted the case and will be prosecuting it.”

MembersZone Subscriber

If convicted, one year in jail seems awful lenient.
    Five sounds more like it.
    Wait; you said "cop", didn't you?
    Nevermind.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Judge questions merit of Dirksen fire trial

By Jordy Yager | Posted: 1/7/08 1:58 PM [ET]
    January 07, 2008

The federal judge overseeing the trial of a U.S. Capitol Police officer charged with setting a fire in the Dirksen Senate Office Building questioned the cost and merit of the case on Monday, calling it “rather silly.”

U.S. District Court Judge Ricardo M. Urbina said it would cost taxpayers about $21,000 a day to bring the case to a trial, which is tentatively set to begin March 17.

“To have a case around burnt toilet paper might be stretching it,” Urbina said at a status conference on the case. “It may not be the best use of the court’s time.”

Officer Karen E. Emory, who pleaded not guilty last month, is charged with setting a Nov. 2 fire in a Dirksen restroom. Emory, who has been with the Capitol Police since January 2003, has been suspended with pay and if convicted could face up to one year in jail.

Much of the case so far has centered on rolls of toilet paper. A filing from the U.S. states that the Nov. 2 fire occurred after rolls of toilet paper were ignited inside a stall in a women’s restroom. It said no matches, flammable liquids or other means of ignition were found.

On Jan. 3, the U.S. filed a notice of its intent to introduce as evidence a roll of singed toilet paper found in a restroom near the one where the Nov. 2 fire occurred. The notice states that Emory was the officer who found that roll of singed paper after Capitol Police were directed to check all restrooms in Senate office buildings for evidence of additional fires.

The notice also said a videotape shows Emory entering and leaving the restroom area where the Nov. 2 fire occurred only moments before it was discovered.

Separately, the U.S. has asked Emory to submit handwriting samples so that her writing can be compared to a handwritten prayer found on a roll of toilet paper found in another restroom shortly after the Nov. 2 fire.

Emory’s attorney, Carlos Vanegas, said he is waiting to receive all the evidence from the Capitol Police, including photographs and video and radio recordings.

He also said he needed three to four more weeks to allow the investigations surrounding the other fires on Capitol Hill to wrap up, saying he was prepared to introduce evidence from these inquiries if it supported Emory’s innocence.

Capitol Police are investigating several suspicious fires set last fall, but Emory has been charged only in the Nov. 2 incident.

Urbina set a March 11 pretrial conference for the case, and a March 14 date for jury selection.

Thread Information