Forum Member

Question New guy with questions

I tried posting before but I guess the moderator didnt approve it??(hopefully this one approves!)

anyway, Im currently in the Air Force and looking into Fire Fighting as a career. It has been a life long dream to be a firefighter I just never followed through.

I was curious how a fire department operates and what exactly you guys do. I was thinking about either cross-training into fire fighting in the air force so they pay for my training and my EMT cert etc, and Ill have 6 years in the AF as a firefighter before I decide to be a FF in the civilian world.. but Does those 6 years count towards rank as a civilian or would I still start at the bottom of the food chain??

if thats the case would it be better to just get out now and start out as a civilian?

Ive been thinking about going down to my local Dept. and asking a few questions.. what is involved with being a volunteer at a fire dept? how do you do it?

thanks!!

Forum Member

Cool

welcome to the site.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

thanks hopefully ill find the answers im looking for here

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Welcome to the forums.

As to your questions, my first thoughts are to get out of the USAF when your enlistment runs out and seek a career as a firefighter. There is a great difference between military and civilian firefighting, but I would say the initial training is comparable for the most part. Chances are that military firefighter training, except for ARFF, will not count for much in the civilian world as each fire dept. has their own way of doing things. USAF Fire Protection was good to me but if you have your heart set on being a civilian firefighter, go for it!!! Good luck!!!

Forum Member

and do you need your fire science degree before applying?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ch4in54w View Post
    and do you need your fire science degree before applying?
    I don't know of any department that requires a degree for an entry level firefighter position.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    I don't know of any department that requires a degree for an entry level firefighter position.
    really... so having the degree just means you get a bigger check?

Forum Member

ah, but I bet it helps the application process? If when applying they see I already have my Degree wouldnt that help a lil?

Forum Member

First off any training you get will help you in the civilian fire service. What you need for civilian firefighting is Firefighter 1 and 2. If you are able to get into firefighting in the AF, you should get an IFSAC certificate meaning that you may get reciprosity for the certification with a department and or state. The smaller the department, the more your experience and certifications wil help you out.

Like any other job, a college degree could play a factor in your hiring. If you have the time and money why not do it?

My depatment has a little over 1,000 firefighters and our recruitment has no prerequisits. Meaning anyone who can pass the process can be hired. The recuit class lasts about 20 weeks and includes crash course for EMT-B. Some departments have a longer class...some shorter.

Check out www.charlottefire.org for more information and good luck.

It never hurts to go to the local volley house and get some info. Every state is different so to give concrete info is a little difficult.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Welcome...

Thanks for joining.

Thread Information