Thread: Question

Default Question

I am currently 18. I live in Cleveland and plan on becoming a firefighter.

My plan is to soon move to Florida but I was wondering if I was certified in OH for Firefighter would I have to get re-certified and retake the classes for the State of Florida? I have been so caught up with looking into housing etc. I never began focusing on the main idea until right now. Also, if there are any other thing's I would have to do/ get certified or re-certified in please list them for me if you dont mind.

Thank you all

Forum Member

From what I understand, Florida is real conservative with handing out reciprocity for either its Fire or EMS certs. Since you didnt say youve invested time getting either yet, I would advise you to wait until youre there to do it.

Where? Take your pick

http://www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/Standard/StdTCr01.htm

An EMT card is going to be a minimum necessity and a medic cert is (at least was) your golden ticket.

Those can also be earned from most community/junior colleges.

Make some phone calls first too. There have been some recent slowdowns/freezes on hiring due to tax/money issues. Dont get caught in a hard spot by that.

Forum Member

Contact the Standards and Training Division of The Florida State Fire College in Ocala.

Web site address is: www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/fsfc/index.shmtl

This from a candidate who is also trying:

I Try to challenge the Florida State Certs. But the problem is that DOD or any State Firefighter 1 & 2 is 260 hrs.Florida State Firefighter is 360hrs.I submitted by

Nat. Firefighter I & II
    Nat. Haz-Mat Ops.
    SC Firefighter I
    Nat. EMT-Medic Card
    Nat. Fire Officer I & II
    Nat. Driver Pummper & Ladder
    Nat. Haz-Mat Tech.

They Told me I must go to a State of Florida Fire School to get my certs in Florida. All out-of-state firefighters MUST go to a Fl. Fire School!!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be making a few of those calls today.

Forum Member

My buddy did exactly what you are talking about. His EMS transferred, his fire did not. Florida has an accredited fire education program. Ohio does not. They did not accept any of his fire certificates.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Why Florida?
    Some threads indicate FL doesn't really pay all that well. Not to bash "The Sunshine State" in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Why Florida?
    Some threads indicate FL doesn't really pay all that well. Not to bash "The Sunshine State" in any way.
    Just the place that I wanna start my life after high school, I want to get out of this cold weather.

Forum Member

Actually its really not bad, especially if youre a medic. When I was in the process of applying, FF/EMTs would start around $32k, FF/PM's in the neighborhood of $40k.

Factor in cost of living being relatively low (but rising as of last few years) and you can get along comfortably.

Then, unlike up north where the skinny girls hide in the cold, they stay out making eye candy all year long!

(What was I thinking!)

Thanks for all of the comments guys, I appreciate it

Forum Member

Unless Florida has finally changed to align with the national medic certification you will have to qualify as a medic in Florida.

Thread Information