Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hebron hiring

Forum Member

Default Hebron hiring

The Town of Hebron is seeking candidates for a full-time position of the Fire Department/EMT/Maintainer. The position prepares for and responds to and performs required functions at emergency fire, ambulance and rescue calls, service calls and performs such other fire service duties as defined in the General Statutes as a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. The position performs general maintenance work and upkeep of the fire department buildings, vehicles and equipment and alarm systems, including appropriate record keeping. Compensation $33,000-$40,000, depending upon qualifications and experience, plus full benefits. The applicant must have the following to apply for this position, State of Connecticut Firefighter I and Firefighter II certification; current valid EMT certification; valid CT driver license with a Q restriction, Class 1 A or B is preferred; and a CPAT card obtained since March 2007 or be able to obtain one by May 2008. Please send resumes, copies of certifications, CT Driers License, current EMT and CPAT cards to the attention of Jared Clark, Town Manager, 15 Gilead Street, Hebron, CT 06248 by Wednesday November 21, 2007. For further information please visit www.hebronct.com. The town of Hebron is an equal opportunity employer.

MembersZone Subscriber

way to go hebron!!! Bone your own guys out of a job in their own town.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts48 View Post
    way to go hebron!!! Bone your own guys out of a job in their own town.
    Funny, I don't see anything preventing the guys in Hebron from applying for the job...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

the person or persons that im referring to know what im talking about....i really care not to discuss further. the above posting is not what is on their website
    Last edited by scotts48; 11-05-2007 at 05:59 PM.

the person or persons that im referring to know what im talking about....i really care not to discuss further. the above posting is not what is on their website
    Ah, I should have guessed: It's another conspiracy.

It sure looks like what's posted on their website...

TOWN OF HEBRON
    FIREFIGHTER/EMT/MAINTAINER
    The Town of Hebron is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Fire Department
    Firefighter/EMT/Maintainer. This position performs general maintenance work and upkeep of
    the fire department buildings, vehicles and equipment and alarm systems, including appropriate
    record keeping. The position prepares for and responds to and performs required functions at
    emergency fire, ambulance and rescue calls, service calls and performs such other fire service
    duties as defined in the General Statutes as a volunteer firefighter/EMT. Compensation $33,000
    to $40,000, depending upon qualifications and experience, plus full benefits. Must have a
    current CPAT Card. State of Connecticut Firefighter I certification is required and EMT
    certification and Class II Connecticut Motor Vehicle License is preferred. Please send resumes,
    copies of certification and CPAT Card to the attention of Jared Clark, Town Manager, 15 Gilead
    Street, Hebron, CT 06248 by Wednesday, November 21, 2007. For further information please
    visit www.hebronct.com. The Town of Hebron is an equal opportunity employer.

http://www.hebronct.com/employpdfs/FireMaintainer.pdf
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 11-05-2007 at 06:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

read it again.......its not the same

read it again.......its not the same
    Identical? No.

So what? The posted version looks like either an earlier draft or a sloppy copying job (very possible given the spelling errors) but the information is the same and the posted version sends anyone interested to the right place for more information.

There's nothing there to justify the "Bone your own guys out of a job in their own town" remark. (But then I've yet to see you have anything good to say about any department in the eastern half of the state so I'm not surprised.)

MembersZone Subscriber

i happen to know alittle bit about this department. Seeing as though i used to live there. the good old boys club is trying to exclude people from the process despite what that posting says or doesnt say. call it opinionated, call it what ever. isnt that the point of these forums? so **** it, i really dont care. i know what i know and you know what you know. agree to disagree and forget about it.
    Last edited by scotts48; 11-05-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Forum Member

Are they allowed to require the CPAT? It's not for an IAFF position. I hope they received proper approval for using it.

Forum Member

Forum Member

http://www.iaff.org/hs/well/statelist.htm

Hebron's not listed as a holding a license to use it the CPAT.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGanoush View Post
    Are they allowed to require the CPAT? It's not for an IAFF position. I hope they received proper approval for using it.
    Good point. But, then again, they're requiring CT FFI certification and that's technically a conflict with EOE.

MembersZone Subscriber

great info papa......and deputy

Huh! That's funny West Hartford isn't licensed either! Neither is Hartford or Norwalk! And they have all used it. Notice that the Connecticut fire Academy is though. Why would that be? They don't require it to be an employee there. Maybe since they run it - it gives them the authority to use it for whoever wants it. I don't realy have an answer I'm just thinking out loud.

Scotts,
    What's your issue with Hebron? It doesn't sound to me that they are profiling to get who they want. They are just asking for the basic certs and licenses so they can go right on the line and save in training costs.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA8 View Post
    Huh! That's funny West Hartford isn't licensed either! Neither is Hartford or Norwalk! And they have all used it. Notice that the Connecticut fire Academy is though. Why would that be? They don't require it to be an employee there. Maybe since they run it - it gives them the authority to use it for whoever wants it. I don't realy have an answer I'm just thinking out loud.
    CFA has a limited license to administer the CPAT on behalf of other departments thatare hiring but a condition of that limited license is that they're only supposed to be doing so on behalf of departments that hold their own licenses. The cities you mentioned are legally in violation of the IAFF/IAFC's copyrights over CPAT if they're using it as a condition of employment. That might be something you should pursue with your local -- West Hartford should get a license if it's going to use CPAT.

The only thing different is the website doesn't say anything about a Q-Restriction. Other than, it is the same. There is nothing on either that disqualifies their own people.

So how about this scotts. Shut up or explain what you think the problem is. Just throwing out some arbitrary and unsubstantiated complaint means nothing to anyone.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I filled out the license application for my department a couple of years ago. It took all of 10 minutes and there is no cost. The license keeps us in compliance with the licensing agreement to use CPAT. This would be a great benefit if someone were to sue the town over hiring practices, specifically on the use of CPAT and their inability to pass the test.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

NM, if you read back a few posts this item was discussed and i wished not to discuss further and it was dealt with, I have my reasons based on my dealings with them. After all it is a free world and opinions are supposed to be welcome no matter what they may be. I respect your opinion and you should respect mine. Besides we're on the topic now of Cpat.

Keith,
    Check your PM
    Last edited by scotts48; 11-07-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Forum Member

Default Waah!!!

scotts48

I have to agree with some of the guys above. I read these posts once or twice a week. you really have lot to b**ch about, not getting hired, other dept issues. Still trying after 7 years. Maybe the Fire Service doesn't want you. "The world needs ditch diggers too"

MembersZone Subscriber

doesnt bother me that you agree and your entitled to your opinion too, however get your info right. I am involved in the fire service and i get paid for it too . Imagine that. Further more i have held a cpat for the last 7 years so that isnt my issue. my bitch is about/for a friend of mine , and another issue (in which im not discussing)that relates to me personally, which ultimatly leads to my hostility to this department. This has been beaten up enough, does anyone have anything positive to say?

"the world needs ditch diggers too" You think that line up all by yourself? Give yourself a pat on the back. You made me smile.
    Last edited by scotts48; 11-07-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Thread Information