Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Default Residency requirements

What sort of residency requirement do you have, if any?

MembersZone Subscriber

Must line within 15 miles of the town, border to border.

Forum Member

Ohio abolished the residency at the state level. A bunch of major cities are still fighting this as home rule. We can live anywhere.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

As long as you show up on your shift day, you can live anywhere you want to.

We abolished our residency requirement several years back.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

No requirements here. We have people that live 100+ miles away from our county.

Forum Member

50 miles from the Central Fire Station and in the State

Civil service statute is 15 air miles border to border, but in our contract, it was amended to state that we could live anywhere. The Chief has the right to reinstitute the 15 mile radius, but it would only affect new hires effective the date of the reinstatement.

In my area, it's the cost of housing that is the issue.

Anyway, for the record.. I have never been asked where I live when I have responded to fires, mva's and medicals, so the point is moot.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

I guess we're in the minority here in Illinois. I can't think of any FDs around that don't have some sort of requirement.

Forum Member

Required to establish 1 year of residency within city limits prior to employment and maintain residency within city limits for length of employment
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Civil service statute is 15 air miles border to border, but in our contract, it was amended to state that we could live anywhere. The Chief has the right to reinstitute the 15 mile radius, but it would only affect new hires effective the date of the reinstatement.

In my area, it's the cost of housing that is the issue.

Anyway, for the record.. I have never been asked where I live when I have responded to fires, mva's and medicals, so the point is moot.
    Cap,

Just so I understand it - you can live anywhere in MA, or period. For instance if you wanted to live in Rhode Island that would be alright?

If so, sounds like something we should be fighting for.

Yes. we have one of our firefighters who lives in Vermont on his tours off. He stays with friends when he's on his 2 day 2 night rotation.

If the 15 air mile radius is reinstated, those firefighters who have moved out of it would not be affected. Any new hire would have to live within the 15 air mile radius

In my opinion.. as long as someone as shows up on time for their tours of duty.. who gives a fat rat's rump where they live?

PS: how are you guys doing with getting the residency requirement overturned?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yes. we have one of our firefighters who lives in Vermont on his tours off. He stays with friends when he's on his 2 day 2 night rotation.

If the 15 air mile radius is reinstated, those firefighters who have moved out of it would not be affected. Any new hire would have to live within the 15 air mile radius

In my opinion.. as long as someone as shows up on time for their tours of duty.. who gives a fat rat's rump where they live?

PS: how are you guys doing with getting the residency requirement overturned?
    Because the police got a 10 years and out clause in their contract we will as well. The bigger question is how far are we away from having a contract? The Local isn't saying much but my guess is that we're a long way away from what the city wants. We were in a nice bargaining position up until about a month ago (I'm sure you're familiar with what I'm referring to). We'll have to see what happens.

Planet Earth.

We have six months from date of appointment to get in the city. No questions, and for the most part extensions. Residency must be maintained thru out your employment.

It can be tough to get in on time, as the first five out of six months is spent in the academy, five days per week, at 10-11 hours per day.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    We have six months from date of appointment to get in the city. No questions, and for the most part extensions. Residency must be maintained thru out your employment.

It can be tough to get in on time, as the first five out of six months is spent in the academy, five days per week, at 10-11 hours per day.
    Brother Jasper.. are all city employees, from City Hall, the Teachers, DPW, Police et al tequired to have residency in the city to work? If not, it could make for an interesting lawsuit....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Brother Jasper.. are all city employees, from City Hall, the Teachers, DPW, Police et al tequired to have residency in the city to work? If not, it could make for an interesting lawsuit....

Yes, the rule is in effect for all employees, including teachers.

Interesting thing about it though, is that prior to 1979, teachers had no residency rule. For some reason, the teachers are not considered to be 'city employees', like DPW, police, or fire are. It is actual language in the teachers CBA, whereas it isn't for 'city employees. The residency clause is written into the city charter, so the city labor negotiator won't even address residency, or acknowledge it in any kind of talks.

The teachers right now are trying to get the residency out of their agreement . Their big gripe is that MPS is struggling because quality teachers don't even apply with them, due to residency.
    If they do manage to remove the language from their CBA, maybe we'll have a shot.

It's still a pretty damn good job, even if I have to live in the city.

We must live in the 5 boroughs, FLIDville (Long Island), or 4 or 5 (I cant remember which) counties north of the city.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

No residency requirement for my city in Northern CA. We have a few who live over 100 miles away, including a guy who lives in Oregon, almost 400 miles away. One of our neighboring departments has one or two guys who live in Hawaii.
    Living the dream...

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    We must live in the 5 boroughs, FLIDville (Long Island), or 4 or 5 (I cant remember which) counties north of the city.
    FLIDville?
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information