+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Exclamation Orlando is getting ready to test

    The city of Orlando fire department will be holding an exam for certified firefighter/EMT-B's in January of 2008. As all things in life, this is subject to change, but if you are interested please visit http://www.cityoforlando.net/ to put in a interest card for employment. You will receive more information from the city as the test date approaches.
    Last edited by rpferry; 11-06-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Wrong Year
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    do you mean Jan of '08?

    Fingers Crossed!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Oops! Thanks for the catch. Sorry everyone.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Oops! Thanks for the catch. Sorry everyone.
    any tips on what to study?

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Not sure man. They should send you an e-mail with the study material. I would start reading the latest essentials book though and start writing some notes. Some of the questions i had on my exam were very obscure.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    thanks much.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    possibly dumb question, but I assume this is open to firemedics too of course right? How many is Orlando planning to hire this time? I know the list from last year is about to, or has already expired, and with the growth in the city I assume a bunch, but just looking for a rough estimate...thanks

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    possibly dumb question, but I assume this is open to firemedics too of course right? How many is Orlando planning to hire this time? I know the list from last year is about to, or has already expired, and with the growth in the city I assume a bunch, but just looking for a rough estimate...thanks
    I wish I could give you a number but I have no idea right now. We are planning on bringing a few rescues on line and there are a few promotional exams going on so it could be a high number. Word around the camp fire is that this will be the last test for a few years.

    The test is defiantly open to firemedics as well. I'll try to find some numbers for you on the amount of people that will be hired off the next list ASAP. The old list is satisfied and will no longer be used.
    -Other Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    i heard it wasnt going to be until feb maybe i heard wrong im just getting out of standards all of my teachers work for ofd , but anyway how would i go about applying and what do they really look for thanks for the info in advance

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Pat, the number we are down total according to the city's numbers is over 40 firefighters. So if you are interested in working for Orlando, this is going to be another good list to be on. We hired close to 50 off of the last list, so start studying.

    Good luck
    Rob

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffzmann View Post
    Pat, the number we are down total according to the city's numbers is over 40 firefighters. So if you are interested in working for Orlando, this is going to be another good list to be on. We hired close to 50 off of the last list, so start studying.

    Good luck
    Rob
    Rob,

    Thanks very much to you and rpferry for your help. I have another question for you. As frank as possible, how much does being a medic help in the hiring process for orlando? It just seems, you all usually have so many medics that apply as it is, that it wouldn't make any differance, but i hear conflicting opinions on this. Some say you all are down medics, some say you are very medic heavy. When i use to work at RMA, medic heavy would be the word I would use. 4 on an engine, usually 3 medics haha is what I remember. The only thing stopping me from applying this time around is that I am a probie at my department, and I'm sure that wouldn't look very good at all testing for the most sought after department in central florida.But if this is the last test for awhile........gotta do whats best for yourself right?

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Pat, I donít know that it makes a difference one way or the other. We have hired both medics and EMTs in the last three hiring groups. You might say that we are heavy with about half the crew being a medic. When I was hired there was a push for medics but that chief is long gone. I would suggest that if you are thinking about Orlando in your future take the test and donít worry about the medic vs EMT thing, just score well on the written and practical tests. I would suggest following the other Robís advice and review the IFSTA book and the current EMT book. The practical has been a modified firefighter challenge, so think conditioning.

    Stay safe and good luck
    Rob

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffzmann View Post
    Pat, I donít know that it makes a difference one way or the other. We have hired both medics and EMTs in the last three hiring groups. You might say that we are heavy with about half the crew being a medic. When I was hired there was a push for medics but that chief is long gone. I would suggest that if you are thinking about Orlando in your future take the test and donít worry about the medic vs EMT thing, just score well on the written and practical tests. I would suggest following the other Robís advice and review the IFSTA book and the current EMT book. The practical has been a modified firefighter challenge, so think conditioning.

    Stay safe and good luck
    Rob
    rob, i appreciate the info once again. I am a medic, just trying to get an idea if I will have an advantage. As far as the practical, isn't basically the exact same test mid florida does for every department that tests down at CFFA? SCBA donned for time, medical assessment, find the dummy in the maze, highrise pack to the 3rd floor, ladder, hosepull etc? ive heard the only difference is the ladder off the engine is kind of strange, thats the one part I've never had a chance to practice..

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Pat, you have the practical information right on. Work the stairs hard in training and the test should be a piece of cake.

    Rob

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    Rob,

    Thanks very much to you and rpferry for your help. I have another question for you. As frank as possible, how much does being a medic help in the hiring process for orlando? It just seems, you all usually have so many medics that apply as it is, that it wouldn't make any differance, but i hear conflicting opinions on this. Some say you all are down medics, some say you are very medic heavy. When i use to work at RMA, medic heavy would be the word I would use. 4 on an engine, usually 3 medics haha is what I remember. The only thing stopping me from applying this time around is that I am a probie at my department, and I'm sure that wouldn't look very good at all testing for the most sought after department in central florida.But if this is the last test for awhile........gotta do whats best for yourself right?
    Pat,
    I am a medic as well and in my class of 20 there were only 5 medics. In the class prior to mine there were only 5 or 6 medics. In the new hire group coming on I know most of the class are EMT-B's. Does it help being a medic? I have no idea. Are we medic heavy? Half of our department is medics so it's all a matter of opinion. Furthermore, if you want this job now, go for it. Talk to your Lt and let him/her know ahead of time that you are going to make a push for Orlando. If they resent you for that and can't respect the fact that you want to work for the best then you are with the wrong department anyway. This is going to be a highly competitive process and the candidates coming through this time are hungry for the job. Get a start now by studying and training as much as possible. Good luck and keep the questions coming if you have more.
    -Other Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I've been able to get some info from people I know that work for OFD. The only questions I have left are:

    Which EMT book is the test from?
    (I was told Brady, but I'm not sure if that info is accurate)

    How EMS heavy was/is the test?
    (Being a medic sometimes makes it tricky for the BLS level questions. Trying to figure out how to balance my studies)

    Does your time on the physical really matter or is it just pass/fail?
    (In other words, should I focus on speed or just be very meticulous?)

    Do they give bonus points as far as expirence, degrees, certs, ect.... or do they just grade strictly on performance on their test?

    Good Luck to everyone, especially me.
    Last edited by imprezive; 11-20-2007 at 09:28 PM.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    rpferry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
    I've been able to get some info from people I know that work for OFD. The only questions I have left are:

    Which EMT book is the test from?
    (I was told Brady, but I'm not sure if that info is accurate)
    - As far as i know, Brady is the correct book. However, don't quote me on that.

    How EMS heavy was/is the test?
    (Being a medic sometimes makes it tricky for the BLS level questions. Trying to figure out how to balance my studies)
    -There will be quite a few EMS questions. I relied on my medic training and did not study for the EMT portion. In retrospect, I wish I would have as my overall score would have been higher.

    Does your time on the physical really matter or is it just pass/fail?
    (In other words, should I focus on speed or just be very meticulous?)
    -Speed and accuracy are both important. Don't forget the basics and do everything academy style.

    Do they give bonus points as far as expirence, degrees, certs, ect.... or do
    they just grade strictly on performance on their test?
    -The certs will make you look better int he interview but as far as grading goes they have no bearing.

    Good Luck to everyone, especially me.
    Study the books hard and shine during your physical and you will most certainly get through to the interview. Best of luck!
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Study the books hard and shine during your physical and you will most certainly get through to the interview. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the insights. I've got a promotional exam at my current dept, so I'm spread pretty thin with the studying right now. I've got a "team" that is going to help me prep for the OFD test, but every tidbit of info helps.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    rob, i appreciate the info once again. I am a medic, just trying to get an idea if I will have an advantage. As far as the practical, isn't basically the exact same test mid florida does for every department that tests down at CFFA? SCBA donned for time, medical assessment, find the dummy in the maze, highrise pack to the 3rd floor, ladder, hosepull etc? ive heard the only difference is the ladder off the engine is kind of strange, thats the one part I've never had a chance to practice..
    pat,

    would you mind shooting me the info you have as far as the physical goes? We have a different regiment here in NeFla and Im interested in what i should be preparing for.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Human Resources just sent an E-mail that test will be posted in the next couple of days. There will only be a 30 day window to register for the test, thats shorter than usual, so dont delay.

    The test is scheduled for mid January, no exact date yet.

    Here is Orlando's HR web site where the information should be posted soon.

    www.cityoforlando.net/sigma

    Good Luck
    Rob
    Last edited by ffzmann; 12-06-2007 at 11:57 AM.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    rob, thanks for the great news....Ironically, I called the city today to see if I could find anything else out. They told me we would hear something after saturday...Thanks again for all the help...any new info on the number being hired? I've heard some orlando guys saying as many as 100!! Haha, but we all know how that goes....

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Pat, I think 100 may be very optimistic, but I wouldn't be supprised to see us hire 50.

    So hit the books and the gym.

    Stay safe
    Rob

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
    I've been able to get some info from people I know that work for OFD. The only questions I have left are:

    Which EMT book is the test from?
    (I was told Brady, but I'm not sure if that info is accurate)

    How EMS heavy was/is the test?
    (Being a medic sometimes makes it tricky for the BLS level questions. Trying to figure out how to balance my studies)

    Does your time on the physical really matter or is it just pass/fail?
    (In other words, should I focus on speed or just be very meticulous?)

    Do they give bonus points as far as expirence, degrees, certs, ect.... or do they just grade strictly on performance on their test?

    Good Luck to everyone, especially me.
    Exam test questions are based on these references: Prehospital Emergency Care (Eighth Edition) - Brady (division of Pearson/Prentice-Hall publishers; Authors: Mistovich, Hafen and Karren) and Essentials of Fire Fighting - IFSTA (Fourth Edition).

    from the App.

    im thinking this may be the physical as well

    Station One - EMS: Applicant, while wearing full protective clothing except the SCBA, helmet and fire fighting gloves, will perform a primary and secondary survey of a trauma victim (manikin). Each applicant will be tested at the level of highest EMS training certification held. The applicant must be able to kneel to perform each task at ground level.

    Station Two - Search / Rescue / SCBA: The candidate will perform a timed SCBA donning exercise for preparation to perform a search and rescue evolution. Entry will then be made into a maze, which will have minimum lighting, and applicant will demonstrate a basic search pattern within a furnished room and demonstrate a standard method of removing the victim. Applicant will exit the maze and continue to next station.

    Station Three - Ladder: Applicant will lift and carry a standard 24-foot extension ladder approximately 50 feet, raise the ladder and extend the fly section. The applicant will then prepare and secure the ladder for climbing - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

    Station Four - Equipment Relay: Applicant will lift and carry a hose bundle of 100 feet of dry 1 ĺ inch fire hose, and move it from a standard location at ground level to a designated location on the third floor of the training tower, where it is to be placed on the floor. The applicant will then pick up the same bundle of hose and carry it back down the stairs to the ground floor. Applicant will place the hose bundle in the original location and continue to the next station - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

    Station Five - Hose Drag: Applicant will lift from the ground and advance a charged 1 ĺ inch hose line with the nozzle a distance of 100 feet, to a designated location. The applicant will then operate the nozzle with 100-psi nozzle pressure and direct the stream to knock down 3 cones - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Naples Fl
    Posts
    3

    Default OFD Info?

    Can anyone tell me what the retirement system is at OFD? FRS or 175 A?

    Also anywhere to get a view of the union contract? THanks

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter8484 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the retirement system is at OFD? FRS or 175 A?

    Also anywhere to get a view of the union contract? THanks
    We are a self funded pension. I don't believe the contract is available on line, but you should be able to get a copy from City Hall with a records request.

    Send me a PM if you have specific question about the contract and I'll try and answer.

    Good Luck
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Depts. in Orlando
    By ebow73 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 06:53 AM
  2. Orlando Conference
    By jdlowndes in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
  3. Orlando FL Testing
    By ffzmann in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 02:06 PM
  4. Volunteering in orlando(need help)
    By Gackerman in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 10:39 AM
  5. Buy a ride along w/ Orlando FD
    By Sugarfoot in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register