Default Bar in the firehouse???

Is it not 2007? This is why departments should go all career as soon as possible! When will people learn that the firehouse is no different from a doctor's office or any other professional business. Would you go to a dentist if he had a bar in the lobby? Would you trust your lawyer if he was hanging around his office at night throwing down booze?

Christ sakes, this kind of "good 'ol boys" crap makes all of us look bad.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...6&sectionId=46

When will people learn that the firehouse is not a social club that you join just so you can drink beer, act like a fireman, and put a ton of fire stickers and flashing lights on your truck (which should ONLY be on firetrucks...but that's a whole other thread).

Okay.....I feel better. Thanks for the rant. I have been reading this board for some time now and I finally could not take it anymore.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

In before the lock!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by careerfirecapt View Post
    This is why departments should go all career as soon as possible!
    Oh please, don't turn this into a vollie/career debate.

I am not speaking for everyone, but I cannot think of any volunteers I have known - NONE of them - who would defend this agency's actions regarding the bar. This is not a career/volunteer issue, it is a stupidity issue. The presence of a paycheck does not define where stupidity happens.

And yeah, so there's no doubt... a bar?? In the freakin' firehouse??? I am speechless....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

In before the lock!
    LOL... that's funny.

ME TOO!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

In retrospect, Gonz, I have no idea why I bothered to put up a serious response.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh lord... here we go again.....

Stop in insanity before it goes any further
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

I think what you mean is...

"SERENITY NOW!"

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Default Bar in firehouse

It's not a vollie / career debate - it is just another example of why departments should be career. There is really no debate - it's just a fact that this type of stuff is a lot less likely to occur in a professional environment.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not a vollie / career debate - it is just another example of why departments should be career. There is really no debate - it's just a fact that this type of stuff is a lot less likely to occur in a professional environment.
    Well.....

And.....

Nope... not worth it.... refraining
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

your right, because there have never been any reports of big city professional fire fighters being on drugs or having been drinking while working.....

and for the record, the article mentions that the FH has a bar, but there is no mention from the police that the driver was drunk, only that the residents suspected it as a possibility (even though they have no proof to back up this suspicion).
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I'd love to have a bar in my house!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

God I love when a guy's first couple of posts show what a complete jag off he is. It eliminates wondering what type of person a new poster is and then later being surprised when they post something as ignorant as this guy.

I wish to thank this poster for making it obvious right away.

Default Re: Jag off

Yes, I guess it does make me a "jag off" - since I expressed my opinion regarding unprofessional firehouse behaviors. You are completely right. I've now seen the errors of my ways, and I will be scheduling a sit-down meeting with my Chief to discuss the installation of a wet-bar in each firehouse and changing the departments mission statement to "come on down, the beer is cold and the fire stickers are free"!

And yes, I do know that drugs and alcohol exist in career departments (just like they do in any company) - what I was commenting on was the "social club departments".

Respectfully,

Mr. Jagger Offenmeir

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Yes, I guess it does make me a "jag off" - since I expressed my opinion regarding unprofessional firehouse behaviors. You are completely right. I've now seen the errors of my ways, and I will be scheduling a sit-down meeting with my Chief to discuss the installation of a wet-bar in each firehouse and changing the departments mission statement to "come on down, the beer is cold and the fire stickers are free"!

And yes, I do know that drugs and alcohol exist in career departments (just like they do in any company) - what I was commenting on was the "social club departments".

Respectfully,

Mr. Jagger Offenmeir
    Look, play the innocent, poor wounded, misubderstood little man if you wish but your post was nothing more than an attempt to enflame and widen the division between paid and volunteer firefighters.

Until you can definitivelly show that not any, and I mean ZERO, paid firefighters are drinking or drugging on the job your reasoning for making all FD's career is frankly idiotic.

You aren't a jag off for your opinion that booze shouldn't be in the firehouse, you are a jagoff because of your stretch that all FD's should be career because of your opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    I'd love to have a bar in my house!
    What is a bar, really?

Is it not a spirit rather than a specific place or thing? How often have you had a wonderful time consuming adult beverages off the back of your tailgate or trunk? How many times have you had a wonderful time sitting on your deck, or your garage, with good friends, plentiful food and icy cold ones? Should we not give thanks this holiday season for our good fortune?

That means that you can have a bar anywhere you want! So, in essence, you already have a bar in your fire house. All you need to do is provide the essential elements; good friends (should already be there), good food (should already be there) and icy cold ones (use your imagination).

Oh yeah, one more thing. You need to get out the yellow tape and establish a "jagoff free zone".

Life could not be any better than that.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

You aren't a jag off for your opinion that booze shouldn't be in the firehouse, you are a jagoff because of your stretch that all FD's should be career because of your opinion.
    Don't forget the troll alert. First three posts used for this crap? Please.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

My grandmother, daughter of the fire chief, sister of the fire captain, God rest her soul, asked my almost daily why our fire house did not have Bar like her dad's and brother's.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information