Forum Member

Default How many of you are armed?

I'm a retired Federal Agent, 5 years a volly FF, just getting into arson investigations. Years ago I investigated a case where our uniformed branch shot and killed a guy who fired a shot at one of them. Turned out, he was wanted for the murder of a Sheriff's Deputy and an arson investigator who were interviewing him about an arson.

I realize most of us are FF, but that case makes me want to suggest caution when talking, even casually at the fire scene, to a potential suspect. Even if origin and cause have not be established, the suspect may think you are on to him/her.

How many of us are armed on the job?

MembersZone Subscriber

Armed or not, anyone involved in close contact with the less stellar in our society should have rudimentary street survival skills. There are so many things to be aware of, from where you are standing in relation to the subject to situational awareness of the subject's demeanor to how you have positioned yourself. That clipboard or flashlight you have in your hand can be used as a defense weapon if you know what you are doing.

IMHO, one of the most dangerous situations to be in is in the role of EMS. Close contact in close quarters. Often emotional scenes where a plethora of potential weapons could exist.

I am an avid advocate of body armor.

Armed doesn't always mean protected against assault.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of L.A. County Fire Arson Investgators are armed. It is a promoted rank of Firefighter specalist.
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

Paddiegrunt, do you have your own firearms instructors, or does the PD or SO take care of it??

MembersZone Subscriber

Sheriffs, they have to qualify every 6 months on the gun range
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

In Illinois you have Fire Investigators and Arson Investigators. Arson Investigators are peace officers who are armed (even though many are FF's) I am a CFI. My department has several Arson Investigators but it is not my cup of tea.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Hey there,

As a sworn police officer/detective/arson investigator I always carry. I am still trying to get my partner, a full time fire engineer/arson investigator/peace officer to carry more often out in the field.
    I can't think of a good reason not to carry a firearm if you are trained to use it and legally able to carry it.
    Even if you prefer the low key approach to on scene interviews of potentially involved parties, there are many small pocket models that can be kept out of sight but still be available should the situation dictate such need.

Be safe,

Mike
    N.A.F.I./C.F.E.I.

FYI, I just attended my chapter meeting of the I.A.A.I. There was some very good training presented on low heat ignition sources. Get involved with your local chapter of I.A.A.I. or go on CFItrainer.net if you are considering a career in fire investigation. These are good people who enjoy passing on their wealth of knowledge.

Cheers
    Detective M. Porras, CFI-CFEI
    Glendale, California

Forum Member

In Texas to be an Arson Investigator you must be a peace officer. To be a fire investigator you do not have to be a peace officer. These are seperate certifications issued by the state. We have 5 Arson Investigators in our department and all carry.

Edit: All qualifications are handled by police department. We do not have a FA instructor at this time. Each officer must qualify with duty weapon yearly and are "strongly" encouraged to attend FA training every quarter.
    Last edited by BFDLT32; 11-14-2007 at 01:21 AM.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire/Arson Investigator

I am a Fire/ Arson Investigator in Central Illinois.The certification of Arson Investigator is provided by the Illinois State Fire Marshal to members of career fire departments who complete a 200 hour Police Training Institute Course which includes firearms training. Certification as an Arson Investigator includes Peace Officer status. The local governmental body must provide an ordinace that recognizes the position of Arson Investigator and their police powers, specifically allowing them to posess firearms in the performance of their duties. This certification has been very positive for our investiation unit because it allows us to conduct the investigation from origin and cause through prosecution.

Forum Member

If the Chief of a west Kentucky volly department started hollering "Whoever's near my car,get the sock!" when a fire scene turned into an epsiode of Jerry Springer with FFs getting hit by the fire victim,he wasn't wanting his laundry folded.
    I'm not sure what the whole statute says but fire officers in Kentucky also have collateral duty as fire Marshals and since Kentucky is an open carry state,no permit is required for carry.There may be training for that part of the job.I wasn't an officer on my department so I don't know.
    Having said that,my old department had two SOs as members and from what I understand,all the other county volunteer departments had at least one deputy as well.I am sure that they are well versed in use of deadly force.
    I've never heard of a Kentucky fire officer having to use a sidearm in performance of his duty.

Thread Information