Forum Member

Default Oakland Fire Department Hiring

Since for some reason the department is trying to keep this test a relative secret, I figured that this may be a good way to spread the word around.

Oakland Fire Department is hiring Entry Level FF.

Applications must be picked up either November 26th or 27th.

Applications must be turned in December 1st.

Out of state/Lateral etc are welcome. There is no California (or any other state for that matter) EMT requirement.

Call the 24 hr job hotline at 510-238-6465 for more information.

The city job site is not showing the job at the moment, but here is the link:

http://www.oaklandnet.com/government..._openings.html
    -----------
    If progressive equals houses burning to the ground, it's not progressive, it's stupid.

Only a few more years until retirement!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HalliganHook25 View Post
    Since for some reason the department is trying to keep this test a relative secret, I figured that this may be a good way to spread the word around.

Oakland Fire Department is hiring Entry Level FF.

Applications must be picked up either November 26th or 27th.

Applications must be turned in December 1st.

Out of state/Lateral etc are welcome. There is no California (or any other state for that matter) EMT requirement.

Call the 24 hr job hotline at 510-238-6465 for more information.

The city job site is not showing the job at the moment, but here is the link:

http://www.oaklandnet.com/government..._openings.html
    I do not see the listing on the city's website.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I do not see the listing on the city's website.
    Yeah...they seem to put up the announcements AFTER the test, or a day or two before...

Seems that they would prefer that no one tested from outside the city center area :<

The phone number hotline definitely has the correct information.
    -----------
    If progressive equals houses burning to the ground, it's not progressive, it's stupid.

Forum Member

Question

It was just posted on www.FireCareers.com It states that you must live within 10 miles of the city center on fire careers. I thought Oakland did away with a residency requirement? It didn't say anything about that on the 24hr job hotline.

Why would you need to pick up an application in person on one of two days? Why can't they just put the application online and have a single date to submit the application in person. Seems a little over the top to make people drive there just for an application.

It also said nothing about you having to be the one to pick up the application and drop it off. I will attempt to speak to someone in person about this but I will get the run around as usual I am sure.

Halligan Hook is there anyone at the house you can speak to regarding this?

Forum Member

Oh and one more question Halligan. Is there any talk about Emeryville consolidating with you guys?

Forum Member

It was just posted on www.FireCareers.com It states that you must live within 10 miles of the city center on fire careers. I thought Oakland did away with a residency requirement? It didn't say anything about that on the 24hr job hotline.

Why would you need to pick up an application in person on one of two days? Why can't they just put the application online and have a single date to submit the application in person. Seems a little over the top to make people drive there just for an application.

It also said nothing about you having to be the one to pick up the application and drop it off. I will attempt to speak to someone in person about this but I will get the run around as usual I am sure.

Halligan Hook is there anyone at the house you can speak to regarding this?
    There is absolutely no residency requirement. It was struck down in court 10 years ago.

If it is back, they will loose in Court again. Apply anyways.

No, Emeryville most likely will never consolidate with us, even though we do dispatch them, as well as respond on every working fire.

They have a huge amount of money for such a small town department.
    -----------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HalliganHook25 View Post
    There is absolutely no residency requirement. It was struck down in court 10 years ago.

If it is back, they will loose in Court again. Apply anyways.

No, Emeryville most likely will never consolidate with us, even though we do dispatch them, as well as respond on every working fire.

They have a huge amount of money for such a small town department.
    I just applied with Emeryville today and intend on applying with Oakland as well. I agree with your comment on the money that small city has. I heard there top step FF (5 years in) makes around $100K annual. In the past has Oakland required the applicant to drop off his own application or can the applicant have someone submit it?

Emeryville is dispatched by Oakland, both in local 55, why not consolidate? Wouldn't seem like that big of an issue with how small Emeryville is. Or why not ALCO?

Forum Member

I just applied with Emeryville today and intend on applying with Oakland as well. I agree with your comment on the money that small city has. I heard there top step FF (5 years in) makes around $100K annual. In the past has Oakland required the applicant to drop off his own application or can the applicant have someone submit it?

Emeryville is dispatched by Oakland, both in local 55, why not consolidate? Wouldn't seem like that big of an issue with how small Emeryville is. Or why not ALCO?

I think it is more of a matter of them not wanting to consolidate with us rather than visa versa. We could really use the money!

Also, their staffing is terrible (3 on the Engine, 1 on their truck) and that affects issues a bit as well.

I could see them going to ALCO, but there really is no financial reason to do so. They just have too much money.

Remember 100K in the Bay Area will get you less stuff than 50K anywhere else.

I believe you must drop off the application in person. Call personnel and ask for more complete info.
    -----------

Forum Member

Yeah that is true the bay is expensive but most departments still don't have a top step firefighter at 100k. Maybe the fire medics. With overtime in there you are making a good chunk of change. Emeryville does have some staffing issues that's for sure. I know the guys there wouldn't mind consolidating with either OFD or ALCO.

Thanks for your help. I will try to give them a call.

Forum Member

Yeah that is true the bay is expensive but most departments still don't have a top step firefighter at 100k.

Every Department in the Bay Area is right around there for top step FF. Some don't look like it on paper (SFFD) because they have their retirement payed mostly by the city, where we in the town pay 13% of our salary for PERS.

It would be damn near impossible to live with pay less than 75K. Rent alone would eat up your pay check, and even simple things like milk and bread are more than, for example,in Sacramento.

Even the sales tax is 8.75 percent. It is unreal at times.
    -----------

Permanently Removed

Can I please make a suggestion. Candidates commonly "freak out" when Bay Area or California jobs are mentioned simply based on the "cost of living".

One- Apply and get the job first.

Two- No need to wig out. You can live a very good life on Bay Area wages without overtime. True, you may not be able to afford the exact same area where you're working, but you should do fine once you get settled in.

The key is money management where ever you live. If you live in Texas, your rent is lower, but so is your paycheck. Its all realtive and how you manage your money.

Most FDs offer overtime so that helps. But I want to stress, if you just manage your money and live within your means, the big, ugly "cost of living" factor goes away. Atleast it did for me and the hundreds of other Firefighters in the region.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-09-2007 at 01:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

So how do we go about applying when we live on the other side of the country?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Well you can walk, run, ride a bicycle, take a bus, drive your car, and or fly out there.

If you want the job bad enough you will make it happen. That's why they make it difficult like this. In California where competition is stiff, these are the types of requirements many departments make. They require picking up an application on a day between certain times and dropping them off on a single day between certain times. Sometimes they will say they will only accept the 200 first qualified applications as well. Standing in line for two days to get an application when they are only handing out so many applications isn't uncommon either.

Forum Member

I would expect 8-10 thousand people for this test, especially since it does not require EMT.
    -----------

MembersZone Subscriber

Well you can walk, run, ride a bicycle, take a bus, drive your car, and or fly out there.

If you want the job bad enough you will make it happen. That's why they make it difficult like this. In California where competition is stiff, these are the types of requirements many departments make. They require picking up an application on a day between certain times and dropping them off on a single day between certain times. Sometimes they will say they will only accept the 200 first qualified applications as well. Standing in line for two days to get an application when they are only handing out so many applications isn't uncommon either.
    I'd fly out there, but I honestly don't have the money to make a trip out for the application, another to hand it in on 1st, another to take the written, then the physical, then the oral, etc. Two flights out just to apply is literally impossible for me.

I can't drive either. I don't have 31 hours to spare just to get there, and another 31 to drive back. I have classes and three jobs. I miss a certification class and I get dropped.

I do want the job, but there are just some places that aren't a possibility for me. That's fine, there are plenty of other departments out there. I was just wondering if Halligan knew if it was possible to mail them out or anything.

Forum Member

Sounds like you answered your own question.

You are right. Not every test is a possibility. There are many tests I would have liked to take that I have been unable to make. It's the way it is. It actually gets worse. Try testing for two departments going to every part of the process for both cities. Then make it to the Chief's interview for both and are scheduled at the same time and day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you answered your own question.

You are right. Not every test is a possibility. There are many tests I would have liked to take that I have been unable to make. It's the way it is. It actually gets worse. Try testing for two departments going to every part of the process for both cities. Then make it to the Chief's interview for both and are scheduled at the same time and day.
    Haha, that's got to be a rough decision to make.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    First and foremost- You got to want the job bad enough. Pick your top 10 departments to test for and focus on them. If Oakland is one of them, keep reading.

Second- You should have a credit card by now to build your credit history.

Third- www.southwest.com

Book early.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-09-2007 at 05:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    First and foremost- You got to want the job bad enough. Pick your top 10 departments to test for and focus on them. If Oakland is one of them, keep reading.

Second- You should have a credit card by now to build your credit history.

Third- www.southwest.com

Book early.
    Though we may not see eye to eye on many issues, I would agree with Southwest. My wife and I flew to Sacramento from KC for $500.00 round trip. Book at least 7 days out!

Default oakland jobs

just a reminder
    nov 26-27 pick up appt
    return dec 1

Forum Member

Default Bundle up!

HalliganHook25 -" I would expect 8-10 thousand people for this test, especially since it does not require EMT "

To make it even more challenging, they are only accepting a maximum of 1,000 applications. You can expect to sleep on the sidewalk if you want to get your app in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I picked up my app. this morning...

There's a sheet on the application they have you sign that states you must live in certain nearby zip-codes for as long as you work for Oakland Fire. If it is strictly enforced I don't know, maybe those more knowledgeable than I can lend some info?

Also, in regards to the reply above mine--no sleeping in front of the place where you will drop off your app. this Saturday. Not only does it state this on the flyer-- but as I was leaving the building after picking up my app., I saw an Oakland police officer, told him exactly what was going on this Saturday (Application Turn-In Day for FF trainee)....and he said a curfew is a curfew and they will be enforced.

He said you may stay on the sidewalks that surround Frank Ogawa Plaza, but not in the Plaza itself.

I'm so excited, good luck to everyone!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Striving View Post

He said you may stay on the sidewalks that surround Frank Ogawa Plaza, but not in the Plaza itself.

Striving,
    Thanks for the info. I'm in NY so my brother-in-law picked up the app for me. I was trying to figure out how to get around that statement.

Good luck.

PK
    Last edited by PK5343; 11-29-2007 at 07:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Striving View Post

There's a sheet on the application they have you sign that states you must live in certain nearby zip-codes for as long as you work for Oakland Fire. If it is strictly enforced I don't know, maybe those more knowledgeable than I can lend some info?

Also, in regards to the reply above mine--no sleeping in front of the place where you will drop off your app. this Saturday. Not only does it state this on the flyer-- but as I was leaving the building after picking up my app., I saw an Oakland police officer, told him exactly what was going on this Saturday (Application Turn-In Day for FF trainee)....and he said a curfew is a curfew and they will be enforced.

Stockton Fire Department said the same thing regarding sleeping overnight. People still did although you were directed not to. It was brought to the Fire Departments attention and they said they couldn't do anything about it. So basically they are hiring those that are breaking the rules prior to getting on the job. Makes no sense to me. Oakland's testing process sounds exactly like Stockton's even down to the amount of applications they are accepting. After this is done and over with I would like to know out of the twenty they hire, how many of them live outside the City of Oakland.

Thread Information