Forum Member

Default U of Florida Bachelors in Fire and Emerg. Services

Does anyone have any experience with this distance learning degree? I already have a B.A. and from their eval of my transcript they said I can start with a junior standing and complete the Fire and ES courses and get a Bachelors from them.

Any good or bad, experiences in general for the program? Its a deal for me because Illinois (my state) and Florida have made some agreement and I get Florida in-state tuition. Id like to start my first course in Jan 08.

MembersZone Subscriber

GFPD,

Don't know anything about Florida's program, just wanted to make sure you aren't getting any bad info on the in-state tuition. To give you a little background, I am from Illinois and went to school in Kentucky. Kentucky is a member of the academic common market as is Florida. The common market allows students to attend other universities in members state at in-state rates provided their home state does not offer such a program. I was not eligible for Academic common market while attending school in Kentucky because Illinois is not a member state.

Since I don't know your situation I just wanted to give you a heads up to look into and make sure they were not telling you that you could pay in-state rates due to the common market. If so you might want to make some calls, I know I was under the impression when I went to Kentucky that I would get to pay in-state rates due to the common market. However due to Illinois not being a member I had to pay out of state.

Here are a couple Academic Common Market links

http://asa.regents.state.la.us/ACM

http://www.cep.unt.edu/ACM.html

Hope this info helps,

Bobby

p.s. Eastern Kentucky has recently launched an online program as well http://www.fireandsafety.eku.edu/online.asp

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up. I know about the academic common market and fortunately this is not under that because as you said Illinois doesnt play well with others! I was going to apply for Ok State's Master in Fire and Emergency Management ($500 per credit hr out of state), but Illinois is not in the ACM.

This arrangement is between University of Illinois Fire Service Institute and U of Florida. Its basically $175 per credit hr.

Thanks for your reply!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default degree info

I looked into the UF program since I live in Fla. Decided against it because of the course calendar. You have to take classes in accordance with the school semesters. I found the program at Columbia Southern University to be more user friendly. You take classes(online) at your pace in 10 week blocks....but you can finish as soon as 3 weeks. They allow for up to 9 credits at a time, 3 courses. The cost is 185 per credit. Been doing it for about a year and very happy.
    good luck
    Captain John C. Shearer
    Hialeah Fire Dept.

Forum Member

Default Csu

What made you choose CSU other than the user friendly program? I really am looking for a degree that will not just look like it came from some fake online school. I have really been searching and I cannot seem to find a whole lot out there about 4 year online degrees.

Forum Member

FireInspectorPA,

Other than CSU, I only know of one other school with a Bachelor program and that is Eastern Kentucky University. However, I chose CSU because they are accredited for distance learning, they accepted transfer credit from my military experience, they accepted transfer credits from Keiser University were I recieved my Associates, they have partnerships, and my VA benefits are accepted there. I start courses next week.

Thread Information