Thread: Plan B

Forum Member

Default Plan B

If youíre passing the written and agility, which are usually pass/fail, and youíre not placing high enough on the oral, youíve got to be asking why like you have here. What most candidates do if they donít place high enough on the oral is go back and try to pack on more credentials. ďOh, I have to finish my degree or get through that academyĒ They do little to nothing in gaining the skills for the oral board, which is usually 100% of the score. If you donít do anything to improve your oral board skills nothing is going to change, you will never, ever see that badge. The oral board is for all the marbles. This is where the rubber meets the road.

I believe in taking every test you can get to. Because the more tests you take, the better you are in taking tests. Then when the test comes along you really want to gain a badge youíre ahead of the curve and you wonít be stumped by a question youíve never heard.

Consider this:

Life Can be Plan B

Jon and his 9-fire technology academy buddies set out to target six departments in the northwest they wanted to work for. Their plan A would cultivate these departments and be in a position when they tested. After almost two years no one got hired or was high enough to be considered. Then Jon read a section this web site that encouraged candidates to test wherever they could get to.

This made since to Jon especially when he figured out that he was only able to take around two tests a year. Like hands on academy and education skills if you donít use your oral board skills you will get rusty faster than trying to throw a 35í wood ladder or laying a line when you havenít donít it for awhile.

This is not taking into consideration that departments donít always test every two years switch to medics only, or hire only laterals.

So, non medic Jon tried to convince his 9 buddies to expand their horizons and establish plan B to test any and every where they could to keep their oral board skills at the cutting edge. None of his buddies were interested because they believed that because of their academy training and education and how they were laying the ground work it would only be a matter of time before one of the six departments on plan A would pay off.

In a short time non-medic Jon found out the more tests he took the better he got at taking tests. His oral board scores started climbing and he was getting called back for chief interviews. Then BINGO! Jon gets a job offer from THE PREMIUM fire department in the southwest (yea, Phoenix).

Itís now 3 years later and Jonís dream department, THE PREMIUM department in the state of Washington (yep, Seattle), announces their test. Guess what? Jon gets a job offer and gets to go home with his new bride, also from Washington.

So, how many of his 9 buddies were hired during this period of time? None, zip, nada.

Sometimes life can be plan B.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Great post Capt. You hit the nail on the head.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lrg500 View Post
    Great post Capt. You hit the nail on the head.
    Great. Now we have a cheering section for CaptBob's incessant spam...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Great. Now we have a cheering section for CaptBob's incessant spam...
    Any Problems with my post Deputy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lrg500 View Post
    Any Problems with my post Deputy?
    Just that CaptBob posts enough spam without any encouragement, thank you.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 11-17-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

What you may find as spam, some do not. Thank You
    Enough Said.
    Last edited by lrg500; 11-13-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

I must be behind the times because I never used to hear people calling informative, well-articulated wisdom "spam".

Forum Member

Default Here Here!!!

I'm with the majority here. I think that "The Slinger" should quit do the dirty work and if someone like Captain Bob, Captain Rob and Chief Lepore want to help and sell their wares thats fine with me. Nobody forces anyone to punch the keys to go to their web sites...NOBODY!!! So I think "The Deputy" should quit useing the derogatory remarks and start helping.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    So I think "The Deputy" should quit useing the derogatory remarks and start helping.
    I have been helping.

1) Helping to keep snakeoil salesmen off the forum or least from posting the same blatant, recycled, cut & paste spam.

2) Helping to debunk some fo the errors of fact that those snakeoil salesmen have repeatedly posted.

Oddly enough, the majority of those spam threads get deleted...

Forum Member

Many of Capt. Bob's posts are pure spam. This one has a bit of pork flavor, but actually has a point other than to just intice folks to buy his "program". Call him out when appropriate, but quit busting his chops on the ones that have some substance.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Many of Capt. Bob's posts are pure spam.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    This one has a bit of pork flavor, ...
    I might actually agree if it was an on-topic reply to another poster's remarks but it's a topic-starter out of the clear blue sky. That tends to taint that elusive hint of pork flavor...

(It doesn't help that the whole "Plan B" spiel is a verbatim cut & paste from his website... "http://www.eatstress.com/planb.htm")
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 11-14-2007 at 03:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have your opinions and I have mine. So be it, OK.

Forum Member

Look, it's hard for me to take "Capt." Bob's posts to heart because he really is just trying to sell his program. For those of you who think his posts are so enlightening, why don't we break down his really long post for this thread to the main idea. All he's saying is that if you test and interview a lot, then you get good at them, which might help you more than numerous credentials. Is that really such revolutionary information? Plus, his posts are poorly written in my opinion. Has Bob ever even listed what his credentials are?

BCLepore, on the other hand, gives very specific information, not vague generalities like Bob does. His posts are also very well written, and he makes his credentials known. BCLepore gets much more specific about the personality characteristics, credentials, and the type of background that departments are looking for and gets people on track to achieve their goals.

All Bob's program consists of is practice makes perfect and telling stories to support your strengths. Instead of just saying that you work well under pressure, giving examples of how you already have worked well in high pressure situations. He gets people on the right track that way, but is it really worth buying his program just to get that simple information? Even though it's good advice, I wouldn't fork over my money for it.
    Last edited by LightsAndSirens; 11-15-2007 at 01:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Never have and never will pay for any of his programs. I just happen to agree with this post. That's not a crime.

Forum Member

Default Totally agree!!

I to agree with those who say its "The American Way". Anyone who has a product to sell has that right. Nobody twists any arms to hit the keys to go to a web site. You do what bests suit you and only you. Those who have web sites i.e. Chief Lepore,Captain Bob and Captain Rob have that right.However, I have had many at my house, have done seminars and NEVER charged a dime. Thats what makes this a better place...you can CHOOSE.
    So those who wish to slam those who have sites and charge for their help ...lets let them do their job and quit the whinning!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

So those who wish to slam those who have sites and charge for their help ...lets let them do their job and quit the whinning!!
    I don't recall seeing anyone "slammed" for having websites nor charging for their services. If there are people out there willing to pay for them; all the power to them.

What I personally am fed up with is seeing some of them abuse these forums for free (i.e. stolen) advertising.

The margins of these pages are filled with advertisements from honest businesses that pay for the right to place them here. If you enjoy participating in these forums you ought to appreciate their support for making it possible for Cygnus to provide them for free.

Where does that leave the, shall we say, "less ethical" businesses that abuse the forums to enhance their own profits? Are they really people you'd want to do business with anyway?

Forum Member

Default Slammed

Calling someone a "BOOB" and such is being slammed in my book. Common decency is what "I" expect. Those who are out there are making a living and being slammed is not the right way to do it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

It looks hot in there

Calling someone a "BOOB" and such is being slammed in my book. Common decency is what "I" expect. Those who are out there are making a living and being slammed is not the right way to do it.
    Well, you may find it to be a slam, but in some cases using the word "boob" can be quite hilarious, as can be "tool" As in.."man, look at that tool with two iPhones..wtf."
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Default Correct

You are correct....The point I was trying to make is that every time certain individuals post a response to someones problem... certain individuals chime in and chastise them with "Spam" "BooB" and " rolling their eyes". I think that they have a right to try and help...those who sling mud from left field should butt out.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Administrator

Default Capt Bob's Posting

We allow Capt. Bob to post on here because he is a contributor of ours. Capt Bob also writes for us without any compensation that is one reason why we allow what we do. I know some of you view his posts as spam, however some do find them helpful.

For those of you who do not find his posts helpful then we suggest that you ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on here but you can not personally attack people if they have a different opinion than you.

Thank you,
    Webteam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    We allow Capt. Bob to post on here because he is a contributor of ours.
    That's just about the lamest response ever posted under the webteam name... If you're going to give contributors free advertising, why not put it with the rest of the advertising instead of allowing it all over the forums? You have many regular "contributors" but I don't see the others constantly spamming the forums with recycled canned material.

Capt Bob also writes for us without any compensation that is one reason why we allow what we do.
    I hope it's uncompensated. If it was actually paid for I'd expect it to contain proper spelling, grammar, and some semblance of actual research.

I know some of you view his posts as spam, however some do find them helpful.
    Many people think that they find snakeoil helpful. That doesn't make it so. I notice that the whole thread about psyc tests was deleted after I posted actual facts to dispute questionable sources of test information. Don't you think that some people might find those facts helpful, too?

For those of you who do not find his posts helpful then we suggest that you ignore them.
    So then you're saying that spam is now permissible on FH.com?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on here but you can not personally attack people if they have a different opinion than you.
    I agree. That's why I've made a point of only criticizing his unethical business practices, his poor writing skills, and his even poorer research. For all I know he's a swell guy -- I just have zero tolerance for spammers and will not do business with them as a matter of principle.

Forum Member

Default My Thanks

As one who has been labeled a spammer, I would like to thank the deputy. I often wrote things I felt would help others, but they stood on their own. There was no need for anyone to follow my post, it was just information posted as such.

After a post leaves the front page the number of people reading it drops significantly. A few hundred would read it, but then it would move down the list and those occasional viewers may have missed it.

Then along came the deputy to the rescue. I was guaranteed that after a day or two of rolling down the list he would bring it back up to the top with his deep introspective. Usually one sentence, used over and over, labeling it as ďSpamĒ.

If we all took a moment to think of the service the deputy does for those seeking knowledge, I think we would applaud his efforts, not shun them. He obviously detests reading anything that he considers is spam, or spam-like. But putting his own feelings aside, as much as it must torture him to click and comment on one of these vile postings, he does. I am sure this takes a physical as well as mental toll on him, pulse and blood pressure rise as he forces himself to again wage war on the unscrupulous ďsnake oil salesmenĒ who hover in this forum waiting to feast on the unsuspecting and innocents that frequent here.

Even though there has been no up swelling of support, undaunted he leadings his one-man war, for the good of county, god and man. He must spend hours of deep thought, dissecting the wrongs written here, to then attack them with word-smithery that is sharp and biting. Taking the inaccuracies of these posts and turning it right around by showing their flaws. Amazingly the same sentence seems to cover it each time. I am sure this is a person with many better things to do than just reply to posts he feels offensive, but for all of our goods, he is there.

So, we should all thank him. And being the generous guy he is I am sure he will now post directly below me, thereby bring this post back to the top. Allowing my poor retired Capt Dad to feed his family and maybe have a Christmas. For that I say, ďGod Bless You DeputyĒ.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    As one who has been labeled a spammer,
    The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, I see.

Go back and look again. There has been more support than you're admitting and more spam posts have been deleted than not. That should tell you something.

Thank you, BTW, for actually taking the time to participate in the discussion by actually composing a response rather than just cutting and pasting something written years ago.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 11-17-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Dudley pointed out a typo

Forum Member

Default Still at it

I see the Deputy is still at it. At least he's stopped" rolling his eyes." Captain Rob does have a point also...Thanks Deputy!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information