Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elyria final

Forum Member

Default Elyria (Ohio) final

I wasn't sure if anyone knew or not, but Elyria's (Ohio) final results finally got here in the mail, and despite doing well I am no where near the top of the list. Is anyone aware of what kinda of score got into the top 15? I scored over 100% and was still just above 30th on the list. Just curious as to how far off I was.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
    Last edited by ike053; 11-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default scored 108%

Scored 108% Which Ranked Me At 11th, But Who Knows If That If They'll Hire. Im Not Positive But I Believe The Had Lay Offs A Few Years Back. So You Got Question The Stability Of The Job. I Just Applied Down To Memphis. If I Could Give You Any Advice It Would To Be Get Your Medic, And Get Out Of Ohio, Its A Dead Zone For Fire Or Fire Medic Jobs.

Forum Member

i appreciate the reply, and ya, I've finally saved up my money enough to start my EMT-B class, so that is the next step. I appreciate the advice, and ya, I've been in Elyria my whole life so getting out of the area is definitely a possibility.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SDWff04 View Post
    Scored 108% Which Ranked Me At 11th, But Who Knows If That If They'll Hire. Im Not Positive But I Believe The Had Lay Offs A Few Years Back. So You Got Question The Stability Of The Job. I Just Applied Down To Memphis. If I Could Give You Any Advice It Would To Be Get Your Medic, And Get Out Of Ohio, Its A Dead Zone For Fire Or Fire Medic Jobs.
    WOW, what a misguided statement to make. If you were a medic that could actually pass any of the entrance exams, you would get hired. There is about to be a flood of firefighter/paramedic jobs in NE Ohio. DROP slowed this down considerably. However, this is the end of the fourth or fifth year and a lot of guys are going to be retiring this year across the board. So, go ahead and get out of Ohio. Why would you want to stay here? We seem to be some of the highest paid around.

Elyria laid guys off this year. They also had a fire truck lose an axle enroute to a fire not long after that. I believe, may be wrong, they closed a station. They only run fires. I am sure they have a bunch of great guys there, the City needs more money.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

While I wouldn't totally agree with SDW's statment, there is a little bit of truth there. If anybody made a misguided statement it was this one...

"If you were a medic that could actually pass any of the entrance exams, you would get hired."

A statement like that is borderline offensive to some like me. I took over 20 tests in NE Ohio between '03 and '05 scoring in the top 5% on most. I never failed any portion of any process and was still unable to land the full-time gig. I worked two very good part-time firemedic jobs, but eventually headed out of state just to get that badge. The cost of living is a little high out here, but there is no department in OH that can compete with the pay and benefits.

Ohio is an awesome place to work, but there are only so many jobs. I agree that things will soon open up with the drop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks ive been testing since 04, have ranked in at least the top 30 on 20 plus tests and never had a conditional job offer. I never said it wouldnt get better. And I never said EFD was A bad department, i run squad in lorain but cover plenty in elyria and have worked with plenty ffs from efd and they do have great department, there just stuck in financial problems. Oh and also, unlike Jb and Mdd, ive got some respect and know what ive done working to get the badge and am not gona give up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SDWff04 View Post
    Thanks ive been testing since 04, have ranked in at least the top 30 on 20 plus tests and never had a conditional job offer. I never said it wouldnt get better. And I never said EFD was A bad department, i run squad in lorain but cover plenty in elyria and have worked with plenty ffs from efd and they do have great department, there just stuck in financial problems. Oh and also, unlike Jb and Mdd, ive got some respect and know what ive done working to get the badge and am not gona give up.
    Not really sure what you mean by you have some respect.?. I worked hard to get where I am too. In NE Ohio there is a very competitive. Go get as many certifications and classes as you can. The better you look on paper the better your chances will be. Yes, some is luck on scoring at the right time. Take the tests and keep trying. I happened to score #2 when they hired 8 at my department. They went down to #14 or 15 to get all 8 of us. Like I said, DROP is going to create more openings than you can imagine in the next couple of years.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information