MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Victoria's "Trailer Park Boys"

Firefighters finally move out of trailers. $1-million fire hall upgrade includes new living space for crew, four-storey training tower

Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist Published: Saturday, November 10, 2007

They dubbed themselves "The Trailer Park Boys" for the six months they lived in two portable trailers behind Victoria Fire Department's No. 3 hall.

But now $1-million worth of renovations, seismic upgrades and construction of a four-storey tower are complete and the firefighters are enjoying the perks of their new living space in the hall at 740 Bay St.

"It was a little too close for comfort, but we had a good crew and everybody got along together and that's the name of the game," said firefighter Mark Roberts of the trailer accommodations.

The renovations on the fire hall, originally constructed in the 1970s, took place over a year. Normal activity continued at the hall during most of the construction, but firefighters had to vacate in the summer.

The highlight of the upgrades is a new tower of steel framing -- a vertical zig-zag staircase used for training.

Yesterday, firefighters put on a demonstration for city officials and media on how the tower can be used to practise fire suppression in a highrise and high-angle rope rescues.

They also strapped city manager Penny Ballantyne into a basket and lowered her by ropes from the top of the tower to the ground.

The tower is invaluable for firefighters keeping their skills up to standard, said deputy fire chief Paul Bruce.

"It's a simulation that's as close to real life as we can get. We do drills for a minimum of two hours every day."

The concern for Bruce is having enough fighters on the scene of a big fire.

By the time a big fire breaks out in a highrise, firefighters scramble to get their heavy gear up the stairs to the blaze. "Remember, they've got all their gear on and backpacks on," Bruce said.

"It's incumbent on the incident commander to be bringing resources in from the department or outside agencies in order to relieve these guys because they're worn out."

The new tower will be available to the 100 firefighters at the Victoria Fire Department, said Bruce.

"The police have also used this tower for some of their training," he said.

The Bay Street fire station is the busiest in the city, he said, with 1,900 call-outs in 2006 and 1,880 so far this year. Its back lot has ample space for training.

Improvements on the hall includes a new kitchen and leisure area and addition of a women's washroom. There are no female firefighters in Victoria although there are female dispatchers.

A special detoxification/steam shower helps firefighters clean up after a blaze. Several bunks are separated by partial walls while a separate room with a heavy door is set aside as the "snore dorm," for heavy snorers.

As for who sleeps where, the heavy snorers "don't have a choice," said Bruce.

Other upgrades include the single-pane windows being replaced with energy efficient double-glazed windows which also cut down on the noise from busy Bay Street.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Around Memphis,when a school undergoes renovations,the students are the ones who have to be moved out into the portable buildings during the construction.
    When picking up my now ex wife's kids from school,I often noticed how many administrative offices there were taking up classrooms where I'd sat during my school days so I came up with this solution.
    Instead of having the kids brave the weather because the remodelling goes on throughout the school year,have the admin types move out into the portable buildings.I'd bet that soon enough it would be found that those positions weren't really necessary and would be done away with and end up saving the school system money enough to pay for the cost of the construction work.

Forum Member

Mayor Willie should know that half of his supporting votes come from those students, (at least the ones without criminal records.) Then again, if you figure in the time spent busing students across town, maybe they should hold classes in the buses..

I think it is wonderful that the new fire hall has a snoring room! That is the kind of forward thinking that makes this country great! Now who is going to put up a no-smoking sign in the training tower??

MembersZone Subscriber

"Snoring Room". heheee. When they rebuilt the Vienna station, part of the requirements were to add appropriate female quarters. To that end, in addition to the female quarters, they put in an additional 4 bunk spaces adjacent to the female side, with locking doors between and called them "Swing Bunks".

The idea is that if we have a large addition of personnel on a shift, we will have extra space for them. I think more appropriately they should be called the Snoring Room, because of the guys who usually bunk in there from the career staff, there is one that I call Huskavarna. Even though there can be a lot of noise, I'd rather bunk on that side than in the regular bunk room.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Even so,I wouldn't include those rooms on the station tours,unless you KNOW the distaff member is very understanding.Misconceptions might arise from the true purpose of the double sided access.

[QUOTE=MalahatTwo7;885665]"Snoring Room". heheee. When they rebuilt the Vienna station, part of the requirements were to add appropriate female quarters. To that end, in addition to the female quarters, they put in an additional 4 bunk spaces adjacent to the female side, with locking doors between and called them "Swing Bunks".

The idea is that if we have a large addition of personnel on a shift, we will have extra space for them.QUOTE]

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Even so,I wouldn't include those rooms on the station tours,unless you KNOW the distaff member is very understanding.Misconceptions might arise from the true purpose of the double sided access.
    Not much room for misconceptions, unless you consider that its from the ladies side only that the doors can be opened/unlocked.

Forum Member

That might cause more trouble if someone thinks incorrectly just who is allowing access to the units.
    I'm just looking at it from my ex's point of view,and yes she IS nuts,y'all.She'd think something like that was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Not much room for misconceptions, unless you consider that its from the ladies side only that the doors can be opened/unlocked.

Thread Information