MembersZone Subscriber

Question Pocket Tool Organizer

After much thought and consideration, I have found it much more "user friendly" to keep tools in my gear. However, there aren't many options in pocket tool organizers/keepers. What I HAVE found are either the wrong size for my gear, or aren't durable enough to have repeated use. I have an idea, but I'd like some input into a few things...

1. Would you even be interested in such a thing?

2. What hand-held tools do you carry in your pockets?

3. What would you like to see in an organizer/keeper?

I carry channel locks, a crescent wrench, wire cutters, EMS shears, and a folding spanner. Unfortunately, the pockets in my gear have no dividers and I find that the tools will flop around aimlessly, leaving bruises on my thigh.

I'm pretty inginuitive, so I've decided to try my hand at making my own and quite possibly making it available for others, if it all goes right.

Thanks.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Try this

On vententersearch.com go to the in your pocket section a couple of firefighters have fashioned tool organizers out of sections of old 3" hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen it, and it's too small. These pockets are wide and the hose would just fall over.

After seeing said hose, I decided to get proactive and come up with something myself. Granted, that section of hose will leave room for other things, but I have those other things in other pockets. I have that pocket dedicated to tools.

Thanks, though.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    On vententersearch.com go to the in your pocket section a couple of firefighters have fashioned tool organizers out of sections of old 3" hose.
    It is very easy to make and it really does work great.

Forum Member
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Yea, but I haven't heard anything good about them. Tools cutting the rubber portion, then they fall apart easily. Plus, the slots are too big to keep the tools upright, which is the whole purpose of having an organizer. It looks great in the pic, but once you get crawling around thru a structure, the tools are coming right out.

I'm open to more suggestions, though.

It's actually gotten more attention than I thought it would.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by NismoFire View Post
    Yea, but I haven't heard anything good about them. Tools cutting the rubber portion, then they fall apart easily. Plus, the slots are too big to keep the tools upright, which is the whole purpose of having an organizer. It looks great in the pic, but once you get crawling around thru a structure, the tools are coming right out.

I'm open to more suggestions, though.

It's actually gotten more attention than I thought it would.
    I have that one, and I love it. Haven't had any tools fall out of it after crawling, and if my channel locks haven't poked a hole in it yet, I don't think they're going to. I'll post a pic of how I have it laid out when I get the opportunity.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WFDjr1 View Post
    I have that one, and I love it. Haven't had any tools fall out of it after crawling, and if my channel locks haven't poked a hole in it yet, I don't think they're going to. I'll post a pic of how I have it laid out when I get the opportunity.

Sounds good to me. We have PBI Matrix gear, and these pockets are HUGE with no dividers, so I'm a bit concerned with everything staying in it's place.

I would constantly get poked in the leg by my channel locks, so, being fed up, I went to Home Depot 4 days ago and bought something in the toolbelt section that works pretty decent...the slots just aren't big enough to carry the size tools I carry (getting them out it easy..it's putting them back in that's the issue). We had a residential fire 2 days ago and it seemed to work just fine. Kept everything where it needed to be, and there were no bruises on my leg. Only draw back to it: not enough storage space.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

i bought a tool holder that goes into a paint bucket, and cut a section as wide as my pocket. it holds a rescue wrench, plumbers dikes, trauma shears, a shove knife, and a crescent wrench.

like this

http://www.antonline.com/p_JL-89050-NX_336452.htm
    Last edited by LeatherHed4Life; 11-11-2007 at 12:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have found that an old work glove does a good job. As an aside if it is a tool that you plan to use for life saving operations (disentangling yourself or another ff) keep it out and accessable to the gloved hand, even on the outside of your coat or atached to a light strap. If you have to dig for it you can forget about finding it in a life or death situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    keep it out and accessable to the gloved hand, even on the outside of your coat or atached to a light strap. If you have to dig for it you can forget about finding it in a life or death situation.
    I don't leave anything hanging on my gear...after going thru a survival class, I don't attach anything that can't be easily pulled away. My firefighting gloves are held on with a Velcro glove keeper, and can be easily "broken away" to prevent a snag or any hang ups inside.

The whole purpose of organizing everything is so that I/we don't have to dig for anything.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

A few years ago I tries using a carpenter's nail pouch, and later cut down ketchup bottles, to keep my tools from poking holes in my gear pocket. I now have one of the firestore pouches pictured previously. Our pockets are divided in half, and the pouch fits perfect. I've had it almost 2 years, it has held up fine.

Forum Member

I don't leave anything hanging on my gear...after going thru a survival class, I don't attach anything that can't be easily pulled away. My firefighting gloves are held on with a Velcro glove keeper, and can be easily "broken away" to prevent a snag or any hang ups inside.

The whole purpose of organizing everything is so that I/we don't have to dig for anything.
    Just out of curiosity, what are you carrying channel locks for?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you checked this one out -

http://www.ritbag.com/product_details.php?id=9

Forum Member

Pocket Portectors?? You got to be F'ing kiddin me! lol
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Pocket Portectors?? You got to be F'ing kiddin me! lol
    I have HUGE pockets without dividers...loose tools wind up flopping around in them, and wind up bruising my thigh. It sucks, so a pocket "protector" is ideal.

I carry channel locks for things my crescent wrench won't fit (had to compromise size because of pocket space).

Red: That's the first I've seen that one...I like it. Thanks.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

I have HUGE pockets without dividers...loose tools wind up flopping around in them, and wind up bruising my thigh. It sucks, so a pocket "protector" is ideal.

I carry channel locks for things my crescent wrench won't fit (had to compromise size because of pocket space).

Red: That's the first I've seen that one...I like it. Thanks.
    Nismo - Typo, my head must have been ahead of my fingers. Although my spelling might be an accurate interpretation for a slight southern draw.

My reply was sarcastic by the way. Some people have a hard time deciphoring that on message boards.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, that's the downside to just reading...sorry about that.

I've got my guard up around here...alot of these posters are real @$$holes, ya know?

I got that southern drawl, too...born and raised in TN.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

My channel locks look similar to these...

Photo courtesy of vententersearch.com
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

I've got my guard up around here...alot of these posters are real @$$holes, ya know?
    I resemble that remark!

No, really, I hope I'm not one of the folks you're referring to.

Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Gravy

Quote Originally Posted by WFDjr1 View Post
    I resemble that remark!

No, really, I hope I'm not one of the folks you're referring to.
    Hahaha. Nah, I wasn't referring to you..I've read several threads and there are some people that just get their bunker pants in a wad over stupid stuff. THOSE are the ones I was referring to.

KEEPBACK: 9 times out of 10, I use channel locks to pull the pins out of door hinges (structural doors, not car doors). They work great in a pinch.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pocket tool pouch

I don't know where else it's sold, but we have a local guy with a fire "toy" truck thats sells them. He goes around all over southern california and has all sorts of gismo's and gadgets in his truck. I recently bought a tool pouch from him, the guy sewed in an industrial strength piece of velcro, and the tool pouch had a piece of velcro on the back. It has room for all my tools(cable cutters, channel locks, 6 way screwdriver, window punch, side cutters, res-q-rench, and vice grips), each in it's own little pocket and i can remove it to organize if needed and it stays in well and pocket cover can velcro over it to help keep everything in while crawling.

Forum Member

Hahaha. Nah, I wasn't referring to you..I've read several threads and there are some people that just get their bunker pants in a wad over stupid stuff. THOSE are the ones I was referring to.

KEEPBACK: 9 times out of 10, I use channel locks to pull the pins out of door hinges (structural doors, not car doors). They work great in a pinch.
    I see, I'd never heard of that. Is that something you do at most structure fires?

MembersZone Subscriber

KeepBack- Here's an example...we had an attic fire in a one story, 3br brick home in the middle of the night last year. The only entry to the attic was in a (very) small walk-in closet in one of the bedrooms. The closet was immediately to the right of the entry door of the bedroom, and the closet door and the entry door would hit each other when we had them both opened. So, we decided to remove the pins in both doors and just take them down. It made working in that small space SO much easier, and there was no permanent damage to either door. A regular pair of pliers couldn't hold grip on the pin, and the channel locks did.

That answer your question? I'm sure there are other uses, but that's the only time I've used them in the last year.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Must have been some raging attic fire... you were worried about damaging a closet door...

Thread Information