Forum Member

Default Advice for nervous probie

I'm graduating the CFA in early December and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Any advice from the career guys/current probies on what to expect/do. Will I get hammered by senior guys? I didn't have any volunteer experience so I feel I'm at a real disadvantage. I worked for an ambulance service, should I keep that up when I'm on the job?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraumaShears View Post
    I'm graduating the CFA in early December and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Any advice from the career guys/current probies on what to expect/do. Will I get hammered by senior guys? I didn't have any volunteer experience so I feel I'm at a real disadvantage. I worked for an ambulance service, should I keep that up when I'm on the job?

I am a current probie and I can give you some tips given to me. Keep your mouth shut. You will be going to work with guys who have known each other for years and they really wont want your opinion on most things. If they do, they will ask.

Take every opporunity to learn from the senior guys. For example go and do the truck checks with the guys because its a chance to ask questions and figure out how your town does things. And even if somebody tells you soemthing you already know, just say thank you. THat way people will feel like you arnt a know it all and will want to help you out.

Make coffe and dont mess up the food list.

Forum Member

PurplePants hit it but I will add to it. Listen up because this will set the pace for the next 25 years!

1. Never sit down until a full year goes by!
    2. Always ask the officer what else he needs done (after you complete what is obviously your job)
    3. Find out how many firefighters are at your station.
    -So you can bring enough food on your first day to make breakfast.
    -So you can have enough desert on your first full tour.
    -So you know how much ice cream to buy everytime you do something for the first time. ie: fire, box alarm, medical, screw up, save and so on.
    4. Offer to take the house watch your first night shift (if you have such a thing)

Hint: Your first day you should bring eggs, bacon, potatoes, english muffins, cheese, ice cream, and the know-how to put it all together.

Make sure you bring a spare uniform, work out clothes, soap, shampoo, towel, shavings stuff, laundry detergent.

Last but not least - ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget your energy!!!!!!!!

This is a great carreer! Your first days will seem like you are the new kid in a small town. BUT fear not, my friend, you will do fine! Keep your opinions about anything to yourself!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

By the way, what dept. are you going to?
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't be nervous!!!
    Have faith in your training and have faith and trust in those you work with. They may treat you like a probie...But Believe me, I don't think they would want to see anything happen to you!

Remember don't try your best ...Do the best!!! and you will be fine!!!!
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

Default New Probie

Dear Trauma Shear, let me first start off by saying what a Stupid Whacker name that is. Second I hope you are not getting on my dept. By the thread you just posted I equate you with a certain part of the female anatomy. I can still hold out hope that someone will drop a Haligan Bar on your head before the final day of the Academy. Please do the firefighter profession a huge favor and QUIT!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by jefferson136; 11-17-2007 at 10:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

oh yeah and "ramrod" is a GREAT name! not wackerish at all...

1. don't pay attention to people like that, they are going to bust your balls no matter what you say or do. Don't blow them off, but don't take it to heart.
    2. form your own opinions of people. Don't let other guys influence what you think about the guys you work with.
    3. Relax. Know your job. Do your job. Learn everything you can about everything you can.
    4. You're the bottom of the barrel at your new house. The best thing you can do is realize that fact. Don't try to fight it.
    5.Don't worry about the no vollie experience thing. Even if you had it, chance are your new department does stuff differently. Learn how things are done and do them that way.

Someone else said it and its one of the more important things. The guys you are going to work with are family. Don't try to hard to fit in right away. You will become part of the group faster than you think.
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePants8 View Post
    I am a current probie and I can give you some tips given to me. Keep your mouth shut. You will be going to work with guys who have known each other for years and they really wont want your opinion on most things. If they do, they will ask.

Take every opporunity to learn from the senior guys. For example go and do the truck checks with the guys because its a chance to ask questions and figure out how your town does things. And even if somebody tells you soemthing you already know, just say thank you. THat way people will feel like you arnt a know it all and will want to help you out.

Make coffe and dont mess up the food list.

Purplepants - I can only imagine how much I could learn from you. When I come to USofA and make it my dream to become american firemen I only hope to be half the "probie" as you americans say, as you. What other information can you give to a man like myself? Your men you work for must feel a great pride to work with you. Your attitude must be contagious.

Please bring more to me with your teachings, your are 1# probie.

Forum Member

Cool Test

Test only!!

Forum Member

Are you sure it's not "MichaelJacksonViking"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJwODowvVY

Forum Member

Cool

A wise man once said " It deosn't matter whose wrong or right, JUST BEAT IT."

TECHNO...........
    Last edited by technoviking; 11-21-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

My advice is to study your SOP'S,this will explain what is expected of you and your crew members (actions are standard for most calls) following these you can never go wrong. Pay attention to the streets and study the map books,not only will this help you but the members will see that your serious.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Last to bed, first up in the morning... get the paper, make coffee, tidy the station.
    2. Act as if you are a guest in the house, because you are for the first year!
    3. If there is a dirty/boring/or unwanted house chore to do... it's yours.
    4. Don't be a suck up to the guys. If you ask a question about their family, you had better remember what they answer.
    5. Be a mouse in the corner. If it takes the guys a few weeks to get to know you, that's ok. Eyes open, ears open, mouth shut.
    6. Morning cleaning will be your job, at least until another cub is in the house. A few things... Spray bleach in the restrooms so the smell clean, replace the TP roll so they know you attended to it, make sure the house boss is off the phone before you vaccuum, and windows are never clean enough.
    7. Your day should start when you ge to the house. Let the guy you are relieving go home early if he wants, and be sure to take care of his gear. You should be there a while before your shift starts.
    8. One post before said to bring breakfast... great idea, but you should do your homework and figure out what the tradition there is. You don't want to look stupid.
    9. A few things to never talk about... politics, religion, hw good you think you are, how it was done "back home", and how much you drink and who you took home... no one cares!

Good luck on your job! Enjoy it and remember that it is not a sprint to retirement. There is plenty of time to be the best at every rank.

Thread Information