Default Switching up the shifts.

I just got notice that the Chief wants some feedback on the idea of moving shift personnel around. I can think of plenty reasons not to and a couple of good reasons to do it. I am looking for other input than just our neighboring depts. We have one paid station and 3 shifts of 3 with one float person. I thank you in advance.

Captain Kelley
    LU 1156

MembersZone Subscriber

Our chief has danced around that topic as well. There are several good arguments for both sides. It helps with department uniformity, however it can also spark some disagreements. We have the same shift arrangment minus the floater. And it seems that none of the captains get along and i fear that if the change goes through, what i have learned from my current cap't, will be disreguarded and my new cap't will find me incompitient. So my instinct says keep the shifts the same until the change is unavoidable.

*EGH*

Some Guy

We get moved around every three years. Sometimes you the windshield, sometimes your the bug.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I hate moving. But, we have realligned our shifts for several reasons on the past.
    Seniority
    Rope rescue guys
    SWAT medics
    Car seat installers
    CPR instructors, etc

They have tried to balance all of the above. Sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interplatoon transfers

We transfer once a year in October to align personnel by seniority for vacation picks. If we get retirements and promotions we may have mid-year transfers, but less personnel are moved. We also pick all assigments, (i.e. medic, FEO, Haz-mat) by seniority along with station assignments. This is by contract and has cut down considerably on the "punishment" transfers.

Forum Member

Default annual

We get moved annually supposedly to see different management styles (even though they are all the same). I haven't seen any benefit whatsoever. It has only disrupted the social life as far as socializing with brothers outside of work, some who have become my best friends. Also, good luck scheduling time off in advance and planning around the holidays. Bottom line, if you like your shift, it would be a bad move. If you dont like your shift, it may be for the best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TBad1557 View Post
    on the "punishment" transfers.
    These are still alive and well on my department. "We would love input from the members" but if you say something we don't like your *** is as good as transfered to a different shift and the opposite side of the city!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We just did this about a year ago. We changed our shift, used to be On, Off, On, Off, Off, Off, to the berkley. New chief came in and basicly he couldnt figure it out. His big deal was the amount of people working out of grade.

With the new shifts came new crews. Alot of guys that had worked togeather for 10+ years got broken up, guys working in the same houses 10+ years went to new stations, etc.

Really the only good thing that has come out of this is that a bunch of people got a promotion.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fortunately I think we are done with changing shifts around except for shift captains. I still can't really understand that one either. All they do is rotate the captain from each shift to a different shift each year. It takes most the year to get used to the leadership style of the new captain, and as soon as you really get it figured out, it changes again!
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We move ALL the time. Shift commanders are always moving guys to different houses, and the chief has moved guys around to try to accomodate the specialty teams, or seniority.
    I hate moving. So far I have just moved stations and not shifts. I have been a red shifter, 2nd shift for about 18 years now, and that is fine with me. I don't ever want to move, but we'll see what happens this year.

I would push for not moving, it builds a team better and gives guys some identity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    I would push for not moving, it builds a team better and gives guys some identity.

I agree. When I was on our Hazmat team the shift's were changed regularly. Just when you were getting used to each members strengths and weaknesses the roster was changed again. Reason from the D/C's: Cuz we can!!!....Jerk offs.....
    Last edited by turbo1; 11-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Thread Information