MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volvo Extrication

I recently did extrication training on a older model volvo. We had a significant problem popping the doors on the car. It seemed like the B-Posts were extremely weak as well as the doors themselves. I wanted to see if anyone had a good technique for popping the doors on a volvo without destroying the B-Post so you can do a dash roll.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Lots of folks now simply lift the A post with a spreader rather than using a ram. Generally this moves the dash sufficiently. Try this technique next time.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

I was doing a class for a fire dept last month. The junkyard gave us a late 80's volvo and a 1998. They department was trying to spread the door off using a spreader, which is what I am assuming you mean when you say "pop".
    We discussed the the fact the newer tools they had were capable of cutting hinges and door latches, something they were told not to do with the previous set the had. After reviewing the technique of spreading to gain access only, then cutting, they had no more problems with the weaker sheetmetal parts.
    Also, as bigrig says, lifting the dash has become much more popular and does seem to give more access, as well as the option of moving a victim out feet first maintaining spinal alignment.
    I do agree though you need to know both techniques.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the B post is gone so be it. There are many effective techniques to rolling a dash in the absence of a B post. My personal favorite is the point of the halligan tool through the rocker panel and using it a a push point(by the way, the chance of actually rupturing a fuel line doing this is slim). I would also recommend doing the "dash jack". Works better most of the time no matter where the strut tower is located.

Forum Member

Default Fender Crunch

Have you tried crunching the front fender about dead center or a little back of the tire exposing the front end of the door hinges and popping the door out that way. A lot of times if you do it this way you can then grab hold of the door handle its self and pop the B post side out normally like you were opening it to get in. A blitz attack or whatever its called also might work well where you remove both front and rear doors as a unit Worth a shot =D

BFD
    Engine Co. 611/Medic 610

Forum Member

Thumbs up Genesis attacking a Volvo

As far as I know, Genesis is the only tool on the market thatproves their ability to cut this boron steel stuff. See the video at www.genesisrescue.com. The local rep said the post cut in the video is the toughest B post in the industry, located in the new Volvo and Subaru (per State Farm Insurance). He gave me a heads up that if another manufacturer rep says they can cut it, tell them you want proof...valid point I suppose- if they can actually do it, they must have some proof, right? Let me know if anyone has proof that another brand can cut this stuff besides Genesis- I'd be curious to see since we have multiple tool brands surrounding our city.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking at many of the models now the hinges are much stronger than the metal holding the anchor bolts. In most cases my dept either rips the hinges right out of the jam or exposes the hinges with spreaders then cuts with cutters. As long as the end result is the same with speed and safety considered what difference does the route make?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Done it with Holmatro. Also TNT got the job done. Contact me julloa@amcross.org will send some pictures.

Done on a WRX 06

KEEP SAFE!

Forum Member

Tools that I have personally cut C3 cars with: ResQtek,Holmatro,Hurst,Amkus and Genesis so certainly Genesis DOES NOT have the corner on cutting Boron.I'm sure TNT can as well but I've not had the chance to try theirs yet.As I've stated in earlier posts,I've yet to see a tool system that is light years ahead of the competition.Everybody has a small niche,but in the hands of an experienced extricator,ALL will get the job done.I've got 2nd generation Holmatro and we've accessed several boron reinforced vehicles.If you can't cut it,you need to know how to work around it. T.C.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Totally agree Rescue101. The forum sometimes seems more a salesman writing than an extricator. Or maybe it is just a training problem. I mean Down here we only have Hurst, Holmatro, Lukas, and coming ResQtec. I can speak for those brands. Some others I have tested in other countries but off course not all. I would say that other times it is just a matter of either lack of knowledge or simply bad luck with the tool of a certain kind an extricator had.

KEEP SAFE

Thread Information