Thread: Rain roof

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rain roof

What are the tactical considerations in fighting a structure fire in a house with a rain roof? Do you vent the rain roof to allow heat to escape? Do you do just a horizontal ventilation and not put anyone on the roof for safety? Just in case rain roof is a regional term here, I am talking about a pitched roof built over a flat roof.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cvfd47b View Post
    What are the tactical considerations in fighting a structure fire in a house with a rain roof? Do you vent the rain roof to allow heat to escape? Do you do just a horizontal ventilation and not put anyone on the roof for safety? Just in case rain roof is a regional term here, I am talking about a pitched roof built over a flat roof.
    Thanks
    Honestly, if the fire is not in this void space between the roofs, couldn't a better use of manpower be found then attempting to cut through two roofs?

Would it not be faster and more efficient to horizontal ventialate this type of fire pack up and go home?

This is not directed at your department, but there seems to be getting stuck in some of our managers heads that because their fancy new "checksheet" says ventilate the roof that the roof must be ventilated in ALL fires. I see this type of fire as being a perfect example of that being a waste of manpower, UNLESS the fire is inside the void space between the two roofs.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

A local returaunt with a pitched roof over the flat roof.
    Trusses with gusset plates.
    Blowers, electrical and HVAC goodies on and under the pitched roof.
    Also, a recent mod to the larger gable, where the yard light is/was, end has a large vent fan with louvers.

Tactical cosiderations:
    Dependent on time of call vs. arrival time with fudge factor, smoke, heat and flame signs from the metal roof.
    The flat roof is a wood and tar layered combination. The flat roof may be smoking and/or burning, requiring opening the pitched roof.
    Might have to make do with opening gables.
    The backside of the pitched roof has the heavy goodies that may come down on the flat roof or into the interior.
    The rear section of the rest. is a rat maze and has box-type coolers walled in to the main structure. Easy to get lost in. Multiple doors in there also.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by dadman; 11-12-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Forum Member

As stated before, we'd horizontally ventilate unless the fire was in between the two roofs.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

A hidden roof article at "the other" magazine.

Construction Concerns: Concealed Roofs
    http://fireengineering.com/display_a...oncealed-Roofs

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info. Our district is mostly residential and I have been watching the construction of one of these roofs during the past couple of weeks.

Forum Member

Use caution on ANY roof that you suspect has been modified in ANY way.

A "rain roof" is really nothing more than a weather deterrant. It is typically built with 2x4 lumber and uses a single layer of thin plywood as sheathing, in some cases as thin as 3/4 inch. These roofs are built over existing roofs to improve drainage by altering the pitch of the roof or to cover defects in the original roof. It is much cheaper and faster to simply build this rain roof over the existing one rather than do a complete removal and rebuilding of the original roof.

These roofs will feel "springy" or "bouncy" when properly sounded. If you encounter one of these roofs, you should relay this information to the incident commander so that all companies operating are aware of it.

This is not a safe roof to operate on due to the weak construction methods and the added fire load due to the size of the "cockloft" it creates. The original roof may have deteriorated under fire conditions long before signs of this will be visible from atop the "rain roof".

MembersZone Subscriber

Use caution with roof ladders on metal roofs.
    The print version of "Fire Chief" magazine had an article about ladder roof ops and metal roofs. Photos and supplemental info.
    searching the on-line version, this was all I could come up with:
    http://firechief.com/news/ladders-sl...937/index.html
    Alert: Ladders Slip Off Metal Roofs
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

Default metal roofs

Yeah, unfortunately metal roofs are what many people are going to these days. Firefighting never enters their minds. But, I guess that is what we're here for.

Thread Information