Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vomiting

Forum Member

Smile Vomiting

Hi, I have an Ambulance Ride Out this Saturday and I just had a question:

Since I will be in the back with the patient, is there anything I can do to help with the smell,sound,sight of a patient vomiting? I really hate it and it makes up nauseated...and I dont want to ruin my ride out. Any tips? Thanks
    Everythings bigger in Texas

Future FF/EMT-P

I know what you mean... im a little squemish. I would just try to deal and eventually you'll get use to it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Priority View Post
    Hi, I have an Ambulance Ride Out this Saturday and I just had a question:

Since I will be in the back with the patient, is there anything I can do to help with the smell,sound,sight of a patient vomiting? I really hate it and it makes up nauseated...and I dont want to ruin my ride out. Any tips? Thanks

Grab your OWN puke basin.

Pukers are part of the job, you either learn to deal with it, or you make due. There are several FF's I work with that even if you make the gagging sound, they get sick.

Otherwise concentrate on something else, like vitals, etc.

Just make a game out of it. Try to see if you can identify what the last ate.

Either that, or keep some peppermint Tic-Tacs or Lifesavers in your pocket. The peppermint will help to keep your stomach settled and will also help to mask the smell of the vomit (their's, not your own ). As an added benefit, your breath will smell better too.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Even a better reason to stay on the BRT.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Get used to it, if you want to ride the ambo, vomit is something you will have to deal with.

I've been puked on while working, not a fun experience, but you just have to keep going.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

I served in the Navy in a destroyer,never got seasick.Going through storms,I'd get griped at for singing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and not because I was waaaay off key.
    The only thing that bothered me was the SMELL of other folks' vomit but I never ralphed myself.
    When dealing with someone vomiting or the "wonderful"essence of a two week dead person,I think about something else and try to breathe through my mouth if I can't be wearing an SCBA.(yeah,try that in the back of the ambulance sometime)
    I've heard about using vapor rub or some mentholated cream under your nose to block the odor.

Default rub rub rub!

Vapor rub def works for the really bad smells like dead or burnt. Not sure how much the medics would like that smell for no reason though...LOL! I dont care for the puking thing much either...had to deal with it on a few first responder calls...not really sure how I did it. Maybe the adrenalin of the call will help.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Sit shotgun if you think your going to be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    Get used to it, if you want to ride the ambo, vomit is something you will have to deal with.

I've been puked on while working, not a fun experience, but you just have to keep going.
    Amen to that. I have been puked on quite a few times too and it sucks. Try your best, but if it's too much ask to ride in the front.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Smile Vomiting Call

Out of all the hundreds of sorts of calls that we could have got on my ride out...the 3rd call was for a "vomiting person". Great. Wonderful...just what I needed!

Well I basically just "sucked it up" and everything went by okay luckily.

But, the Vicks VaporRub sounds like a good idea...ill try it on my next ride out (Nov 24)

Thanks

Future FF/EMT-P

Quote Originally Posted by Priority View Post
    Out of all the hundreds of sorts of calls that we could have got on my ride out...the 3rd call was for a "vomiting person". Great. Wonderful...just what I needed!

Well I basically just "sucked it up" and everything went by okay luckily.

But, the Vicks VaporRub sounds like a good idea...ill try it on my next ride out (Nov 24)

Thanks
    Good to hear you made out alright. Best thing to do is try and block it out, as hard as that is to do when someone is vomiting and concentrate on your task.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Yep....Vicks Vapor rub works wonders. Used to do regular visits to a "frequent flyer", that had a colostomy bag. And never had a problem after the first and only time!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

As someone who has attended over 100 autopsies, Vicks is a no-no. The smell may overpower weak odors, but for those evil, odors like a good GI bleed, a homeless magoot or a decomp, all you will do is trap the bad smell in the Vick's material and it will linger around a long time.

The best cure-time. Your olfactory senses eventually become overwhelmed and you don't smell it anymore.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    As someone who has attended over 100 autopsies, Vicks is a no-no. The smell may overpower weak odors, but for those evil, odors like a good GI bleed, a homeless magoot or a decomp, all you will do is trap the bad smell in the Vick's material and it will linger around a long time.

The best cure-time. Your olfactory senses eventually become overwhelmed and you don't smell it anymore.
    That is quite true. Walking into a room where someone has been gone for some time is not a pleasant smell what so ever. Worst one for me was a gentleman who OD'd and his bowels had given out. WOW!, Vomit has nothing on that stuff. Definitely a smell I will never forget.*insert vomit face here*

Ryan

I carried 2 tubes of Chapstick. One, that had the label on it, and in my R pocket was for my lips. (ladies love soft lips )
    Th other, had the label peeled off, and was for taking some, and putting under my nose.
    That was for the worst of the worst though. Pukers are nothing. Just remember to stay at the HEAD of the cot.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    (ladies love soft lips )

Lol..thats a good idea

Future FF/EMT-P

Hey, I haven't made it this far in life without learning a few things. Important things, at that!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Echo..........?

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I'm a recovering sympathy puker! The best cure is indeed time.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Thread Information