Thread: Scott or MSA

Default Scott or MSA

What Systems Do You Use?

Forum Member

Neither.

I leatherlung it, or if I need a little protection I roll up my beard, dunk it into the hose line, and breath through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

god

Quote Originally Posted by Evankirby View Post
    What Systems Do You Use?
    the dept from my home town uses MSA

dept i'm trying to get hired uses Scott

Not that I've had that much experience w/ SCBAs (as an (almost former) explorer), but I have tried both in training situations, I preferred the MSA. I'm not sure if it was accessories that came w/ the pack, but it had a little LED display in the mask that showed tank level, built in PASS device that turns on automatically when the air is flowing.

Do all packs have the carbon-fiber (or similar material) around the tank to protect them (from puncture and such) or just on the packs that I've seen?

My station has Scott. Very light carbon fiber tank. The led display in the mask sound pretty cool though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    the dept from my home town uses MSA

dept i'm trying to get hired uses Scott

Not that I've had that much experience w/ SCBAs (as an (almost former) explorer), but I have tried both in training situations, I preferred the MSA. I'm not sure if it was accessories that came w/ the pack, but it had a little LED display in the mask that showed tank level, built in PASS device that turns on automatically when the air is flowing.

Do all packs have the carbon-fiber (or similar material) around the tank to protect them (from puncture and such) or just on the packs that I've seen?

Scott has the integrated heads up display too....as well as the automatic PASS...

Scott wins without a doubt in my mind. I've only used MSA twice, but Scott definitely edged it out.

Forum Member

MSA FireHawks.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

We use MSA packs at our dept.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

MSA at one. Scott at the other.
    I've used both, but too early/young still to have an opinion on either of them. I've been packed up a bunch of times for search drills and other various things... Just not enough to have an opinion.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

scott for me and the rest of the county - 1 town that we run rit for with a scott rit bag makes little sence but meh what do i know im an explorer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty2101 View Post
    scott for me and the rest of the county - 1 town that we run rit for with a scott rit bag makes little sence but meh what do i know im an explorer
    ?????????????
    What are you trying to say about the RIT bag? Hard to decipher that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326
    For those of you who have trouble with English...
    i dont git it. mab3 if ya spok3 n 3nglish, i cood. dats da only languag3 i und3rstnd.

Actual Translation:
    Speak English. I don't understand your post. If you used correct grammar (and spelling, but not so much in your case), we could undersatnd what you're trying to say.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    ?????????????
    What are you trying to say about the RIT bag? Hard to decipher that one.

I was wondering the same thing...Especially since Scott and MSA, along with all other SCBA manufacturers now use a universal RIT connection, so it doesn't matter which you are using....

Forum Member

Use both, no preference. I like the MMR's as opposed to BMR's, but other than that don't care.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evankirby View Post
    What Systems Do You Use?
    The department i am a Explorer with uses Scott's, i haven't used MSA yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    Scott has the integrated heads up display too....as well as the automatic PASS...
    As do the new MSAs.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

I actually find the HUD useless in my opinion, I've never found myself using it at any incidents. The only time it gets use is when I check over my equipment and clean it, then you always have to make sure your batteries are good then hassle with replacing them.

I don't know if it's just the kind I used but I didn't like the four bars either. When you are at one bar you have one-quarter left, but is it nearly out or do you have a full one-quarter left? I'll stick with my gauges.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    I actually find the HUD useless in my opinion, I've never found myself using it at any incidents. The only time it gets use is when I check over my equipment and clean it, then you always have to make sure your batteries are good then hassle with replacing them.

I don't know if it's just the kind I used but I didn't like the four bars either. When you are at one bar you have one-quarter left, but is it nearly out or do you have a full one-quarter left? I'll stick with my gauges.
    I like it. If, for some reason, I forget to look at my air, it flashes, and reminds me to check.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I like it. If, for some reason, I forget to look at my air, it flashes, and reminds me to check.
    The one's I've used didn't flash. For the HUD to activate I had to press a button on the left shoulder strap. Which is another gripe, it was small and hard to press, especially with a gloved hand.

These are just my opinions on the one I've used.

makes good girls go bad

Ours turn on automatically

Of course, the packs, the masks, the regualtors suck.

In general, Draegers BLOW
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

We use Scott at out department and so does the rest of the county except for one which uses MSA. From what ive seen i like Scott better but there are pros and cons to both. I think if they took the pros from both and put them together you would have one amazing SCBA.

Forum Member

At our department we use Scott and so does the rest of the county except for one that uses MSA. From what ive seen i like Scott better. But both have there pros and cons. If you take both of there pros and put them together you would have one amazing SCBA.

Worldwide Menace

Vollie Dept uses MSA.. USAF unit uses Interspiro..

-Damien

god

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post

ya, that's a good point. It really doesn't get 'detailed' enough to show just how low you are. And being that they're battery operated, changing them is a hassle (especially since they're designed to be in fire/rescue related conditions)

With the rise of FD technology I'm sure soon enough they'll have a nicer version

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    ya, that's a good point. It really doesn't get 'detailed' enough to show just how low you are. And being that they're battery operated, changing them is a hassle (especially since they're designed to be in fire/rescue related conditions)

With the rise of FD technology I'm sure soon enough they'll have a nicer version
    I still like it. It's a lot easier to look at than the remote gauge, especially if you cant take your hands off of whatever you're doing. Ours are automatically integrated into the PASS, so changing the battery isn't really a problem...

Forum Member

Scott since that's what I'm used to wearing and dealing with. We watched a video about breathing apparatus recently, and the dept. that filmed it uses MSA air packs, and I thought they looked well...confusing but I guess you go with what brand youre familiar with.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

MembersZone Subscriber

Draegar FTW!

I have used all three (Plus ISI and Survivair in non-fire training scenarios), and I like Draegar, Scott and MSA pretty well equally. Scott has some nice features I wish I could steal and vice versa.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, to me.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information