MembersZone Subscriber

Default Milwaukee Paramedic programs???

Does anyone know of any places in the Milwaukee area that have paramedic programs? I already have EMT B and would like to get my P. I am planning on moving to Milwaukee in the next year. I would like to get on a volunteer department that would help me get this. If I have to do it on my own I will. Any idea of how much it will cost? Also, I would like to do the accelerated program (6-8 months long). Any websites or people to call on this. Thanks.

Mack

PS - Any word on departements hiring in the area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Waukesha County Technical College-I heard it had a pretty long waiting list, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Gateway Technical College-It's in Racine.

Milwaukee County is running a paramedic class pretty soon I think, but I'm pretty sure that you need to be put in by a Milw County Fire Dept. Not positive though.

I'm not positive on any volly depts that will pay for med school in the area. There actually aren't many volunteer departments at all. I think Muskego is volunteer if you live in the city. Most are either full time or combination with fulltime/paid-on-call.

If you are trying to get your foot in the door and don't care about money, Pewaukee might be nice. You get a lot of shifts there. However, you start at $6.50/hr and that's only while you are on a call. There are 60-hour power weekends you work every month and you might make $30. However, you will get "full-time" firefighter experience.

St Francis and South Milwaukee are full-time departments, but they have POC's as well for when they get busy. I work at South Milwaukee right now. Sometimes, we get paged up to 3 times a day. Other times, we we go a week without any call back at all. When you are called in though, you make decent money. With FF1 and EMT, you start at $18.25/hr and a min 2hr pay for every call back. The training there is great. Most of the firefighters are older(the full timers) and they have plenty of experience. I've learned a lot from these guys.

There are a few POC departments in Waukesha County which isn't far.(Pewaukee, Town of Brookfield, Town of Waukesha, Town of Delafield, City of Delafield, etc.)

Only other POC in Milwaukee County is Hales Corners. They city is only about 3 square miles, but it's in a very busy area of Milwaukee County. They are always taking POC's because of their call volume. They just use pagers. However, they created a new paid-on-premise position just recently to staff the station during days. They are taking 8 people for that, but you just missed the test. Not sure if they are doing that again soon. I passed the written and physical and have my interview today.

There is also the internship program that they offer if you go through the degree at MATC. They put you at a suburban dept working pretty much full time shifts and doing it all at most of the places. They should also have City of Milwaukee as a choice by spring or summer.

Hope some of that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Menomonee Falls(Waukesha County) usually has a testing process twice a year. We're a combination department with a few full timers a bunch of part timers, POC and standby(volunteer, those of us who live outside the village and stay overnight at the station.) I would imagine there will be a written/physical test coming up in February or so.
    We have some paramedics but are not certified as a department to that level, however I think that might change soon.

check them out here.
    http://www.menomonee-falls.org/fire/index.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by badax3 View Post
    Menomonee Falls(Waukesha County) usually has a testing process twice a year. We're a combination department with a few full timers a bunch of part timers, POC and standby(volunteer, those of us who live outside the village and stay overnight at the station.) I would imagine there will be a written/physical test coming up in February or so.
    We have some paramedics but are not certified as a department to that level, however I think that might change soon.

check them out here.
    http://www.menomonee-falls.org/fire/index.htm
    Just curious if you would change your prefs so that we can PM you. I am on the falls, just curious who this is...

Thread Information