Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Double Probation??

Does anyone know of a statute about civil service probation? One of our current POC's is looking to get hired full-time, but their is some confusion on if he needs to go through the 12 month probation period. I have heard from a Human Resource Manager from a local county that he would need to complete a new probation based on the fact this is a tested position and a new job classification. Others, have stated since he is a current member that he can't recieve a double probation. I can't recall if he truly received a 12 mo probation when he was initally brought on.

Thanks ahead of time

Default Animal House

I have heard of double secret probation. But seriously I'm not sure how that would work.

Unless there is some specifc language forbidding it I see no reason why it would be a problem. New position; new probationary period.

Is the position covered by a CBA or just state civil service law?

(Doesn't every FD have double secret probation in one form or another? )
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

If he is being hired fulltime he absolutely should go through a 12 month probation. POC or not, that is the norm for anyone on the career side. I know it was for me.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

I am curious to who still uses civil service here in Illinois. Police/Fire Commisions seem to be the norm for municipal fire departments.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

We actually use the Police/Fire commission, sorry for that. Our CBA doesn't address this issue since the POC's are not part of it. I am in agreement that new job that has been tested instead of application process should go through the 12 month period. It is all the Sh**house attorneys that are giving info that isn't backed up by anything other than opinions so I wanted to see if anyone has some facts. I will check on the AFFI site also and search.

Quote Originally Posted by SectorB View Post
    We actually use the Police/Fire commission, sorry for that. Our CBA doesn't address this issue since the POC's are not part of it.
    If the CBA has a provision for a probationary period and former POCs aren't explicitly exempted then they get the same probabtionary period as anyone else, IMHO.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Even in combo departments there are some huge differences in POC and fulltime. POC's are generally "at will" employees for their entire POC career as opposed to fulltimers who are much harder to get rid of after their year is up.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

There were a couple of guys in my recruit class who were previously POC. They had to apply like anyone else, do the tests, pass, complete the interview and pass this as well (there were many others who applied and did not pass). They were then put into recruit class and on probation once the training was finished.

I wouldn't consider it a "double probation", it's a new fulltime position and should be treated as such. Police being hired as fire need to be on probation and that is going from one fulltime city position to another, as opposed to a part time or paid on call postion to fulltime. It's one department, but run as two. Besides, what's the big deal about being on probation, you can't start the job at a higher rate of pay than someone else simply because you are coming from the POC ranks, new hires from other departments start here as well.
    Last edited by Higby916; 11-15-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

Thread Information