Thread: All Explorers

Forum Member

Default All Explorers

Hey I'm 17 right now and I was wondering if any of you guys and girls have any certificates as a junior? ex (cpr, auto extrication, Swift Water Rescue, ext) pretty much anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmaro View Post
    Hey I'm 17 right now and I was wondering if any of you guys and girls have any certificates as a junior? ex (cpr, auto extrication, Swift Water Rescue, ext) pretty much anything.
    Halthcare provider CPR and AED as a junior, as well as Delaware state fire school certs in Basic Firefighting, Hazardous Materials response skills, Structural Firefighting, and Vehicle Rescue.

The DSFS classes are required for all new firefighters in the state, and the CPR i had to have to ride the ambulance.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Maryland EMT-B
    HazMat Ops
    Essentials of firefighting
    Fire Fighter 2
    Strategies and tactics
    Truck Ops
    and I'll be starting rescue tech. soon
    and than Ariel apparatus operator after rescue tech is done

I am a certified fire-line hanger, tool fetcher and hose packer. I keep the cards on me where ever I go, they have gotten me out of some tight spots.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    I am a certified fire-line hanger, tool fetcher and hose packer. I keep the cards on me where ever I go, they have gotten me out of some tight spots.
    HA LMAO.
    I couldn't have said it better.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thanks somebody509 and tbonetrexler for the info. I'll look into it.

Honestly the only thing you should have (and 95% of my post does not**) is CPR. Anything else is a luxury.

**this is going to change soon, its now a requirement to graduate high school here, and is taught in gym.

Forum Member

I know, but it can't hurt to have more certs. The more the merrier.

You are right, I was simply pointing out they are not necessary to the primary functions of an explorer. Load them up if you can though, just realize that you may be certified at something and still not be competent in it.

Forum Member

Try a search, I'm not sure if it was in this sub forum, but it was somewhere on here.

I'll try to name them all.

*AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider
    *ARC CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer (2 soon to be 3 current cards after Tues......don't ask)
    *ARC First Aid
    *ARC Lifeguarding
    *Gasoline Pipeline Emergencies Awareness (Yes, I have alot of random certs such as these)
    * NIMS 100
    * NIMS 200
    * NIMS 700
    * NIMS 800
    *Special Events Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies
    *Basic Train Emergency Response Operations
    *Agroterrorism Awareness
    *Ice Water Rescue Awareness
    *Water Rescue
    *Highway Safety for the Emergency Responder
    *Incident Command Operations
    *Basic Vehicle Extrication
    *Basic Rope Rescue
    *Trench Rescue Awareness
    *Urban Search and Rescue Awareness
    *About to have my Operator's license for watercraft, just didn't get around to sending the paperwork in until recently

Have been trained to the Ohio Firefighter I-A level and NREMT-FR level at a minimum. To a higher degree in some aspects of the above certification levels. I am not certified as either because in OH you must be 18, so in May, I will be breezing through my Firefighter I-A and EMT courses.

**** Some of the above courses you may not find everywhere such as some of the random ones like the Train Emergency awareness, USAR Awareness, etc. These are from companies and or organizations where I live for whom I had to sit though a painful class and delicious dinner to get or just had to be around for long enough.

I think that is all.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 11-16-2007 at 02:20 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You are right, I was simply pointing out they are not necessary to the primary functions of an explorer. Load them up if you can though, just realize that you may be certified at something and still not be competent in it.
    I know but I'll have to get these certs sooner or later.

Forum Member

you may be certified at something and still not be competent in it.
    And that my friends, is the most valuable piece of information that will be gathered from this thread.

I don't care if it goes to 20 pages (which is possible if Ryan and I can make a succesful hijack, but i digress...) that will still be the most important piece of information that anyone will take away from this thread.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You guys are absolutely right, I may not be able to do any of these exercises in the field, but at least I got them, and that would look good on an application.

I mean what looks better somebody who has the basics or somebody with the basics and other certs.

Jake PM Incoming!

Forum Member

I sure am glad people like you come into threads and completely change it with sarcastic remarks. I started this thread to get insight about certs not to have a debate with you.

Forum Member

I sure am glad people like you come into threads and completely change it with sarcastic remarks. I started this thread to get insight about certs not to have a debate with you.
    Unlike yourself, Jack's been around and is respected here at FH. His sarcasm he used in this thread was not a waste as everyone is entitled to their own opinion(s). I found it funny actually. It even becomes more funny when you get a rise out of someone.
    Almost EVERY thread on FH has a debate included in it. You CAN NOT, BY ANY MEANS, tell someone not to debate with you. Rather, you can simply choose not to respond... Or keep responding and make the situation bigger than it should be.
    Reason I chose to respond to this is because of the recent hash of d-bags coming in and actually lashing out on people because they didn't get the answer(s) they wanted...

(I did good and didn't mention previous offender's usernames. )
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Since you are new here, I'm going to try to help you out a little. Check out this video, it'll help you in the future.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Since you are new here, I'm going to try to help you out a little. Check out this video, it'll help you in the future.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
    I was on my way back here with the link for that video...
    Two great minds think alike.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Ahh, you almost beat me to the punch.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

I don't know if RFxplr326 and jacklrd know each other on a personal level, but to me respect is not earned by bashing threads. You know I've noticed a lot that people like you guys say some thing sarcastic and more people go along with it. For example KEEPBACK200FEET adds like things to people’s replies like “you beat me to the punch". You guys are probably sitting at home doing nothing and decide to bash somebody's thread or you decide to try to get a rise out of somebody. These kinds of acts are probably why, not many threads are on the Explorer forum, because people like you ruin them for people who are trying to learn. Real Mature
    Last edited by jpmaro; 11-16-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Forum Member

I think the whole point of the direction that this thread is going is that:

Getting "Certs" doesn't mean a thing if you are not working at the level that your "Cert" is in. Taking a class and getting a piece of paper looks good "on Paper". Being able to perform these "Certs" is what it is all about.

You are new to the fire service, so these guys shouldn't be bustin' your chops. They should be expaining how things work.

But as you will find in these (as well as other) forums, you have to kick back and have a little fun. Once you can learn to read between the lines, you will find that there is a vast amount of knowlege on this forum. So come in here to learn alittle as well as have some fun. Take care and stay safe!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I don't know if RFxplr326 and jacklrd know each other on a personal level, but to me respect is not earned by bashing threads. You know I've noticed a lot that people like you guys say some thing sarcastic and more people go along with it. For example KEEPBACK200FEET adds like things to people’s replies like “you beat me to the punch". You guys are probably sitting at home doing nothing and decide to bash somebody's thread or you decide to try to get a rise out of somebody. These kinds of acts are probably why, not many threads are on the Explorer forum, because people like you ruin them for people who are trying to learn. Real Mature
    Kid, I'm just trying to help you out. Next time you post something you know nothing about, such as your last post, use your head. Or maybe watch the video I sent you. I didn't add anything to anyone's reply, I made my own. By the way, not many threads exist in the Explorer post because everytime we try and level with them like we do in the firefighters forum, some kid gets ****ed and writes something like you just did. So chill out, no one is bashing your thread. You got your answers. Also, next time, use the search feature. It will display lots of topics that have already been discussed. That, also, is in the video. By the way, I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing...I was finishing a research paper laying next to a gorgeous blonde in bed who was already sleep. Sometimes you gotta get a break from APA reference lists. So who's mature now?

Forum Member

Jesus, somebody has thin skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Just as I stated in my last post which apearantly you didn't pick up on...
    The reason behind our sarcasm is that we know we'll get a reply just like the ones you left.
    I'm not ruining anything. You really think I'm ruining it huh? I've been do the same thing since I got here a little over a year ago. If I was doing something bad, I think I would know...
    RFRDxplorer is on my Explorer post;
    Weruj1 is the Assistant Chief for my department;
    and there are atleast 2 guys from the other department my post does stuff with who I know fairly well. If I was doing something bad or got out of hand, I think I'd know.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

We are not bashing this thread. We (experienced posters who might be FF's or explorers it does not matter) are helping you, a new explorer, learn a few thigns. For starters that a piece of paper doesn't mean I'm going to trust you going into a burning building with me. Certs are nice and mandatory for many jobs in this field, but just because you are certified does not mean that you are competent. Second, around the firehouse there is alot of joking around. Get used to it. Oh yeah, and the youngest guy and/or probie usually catches 98% of it.

Thread Information