Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
Hi all,
I was just wondering the chances of being an enlisted Navy member and getting the job as a firefighter and being assinged a land base, must you have some time in the Navy before hand to do this or are most of the land Navy bases handled by civilian firefighters or is it a gambles if your assigned a ship or land base. Thanks for any help.

Andrew
Andrew, I am a Damage Controlman in the Navy, I did four years active duty onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard LHD6, and I have been in the Reserve since, I have 10 years total with the Navy. I joined because I wanted to be a firefighter. When I got out I went to the Air Force base where I lived by with my DC school certification, they laughed at me!! A Damage Controlman in the Navy IS NOT A FIREFIGHTER!!!! The Fire Service will not, or ever will recognize the DC rate as a firefighting rate. Please believe me when I tell you this. If you want to be a firefighter, and you want to join the Navy, go ABH!!! That is the ONLY RATE in the Navy that can go to Goodfellow AFB for the DOD Fire School!! When I got out, I had to go to an academy to get my California Firefighter I certificate of completion. I also had to go to Bucks County Community College to get my IFSAC/ NPQS Firefighter I & II and my HazMat Awareness & Ops, and Iím going to the Alabama Fire College next month to get my ARFF cert. So if you want to be a firefighter in the Navy, and be able to get a firefighting job once you get out, PLEASE GO ABH!!!! Do not go Damage Control!! It is not recognized as a firefighter job!! I always get laughed at when I say I am a Damage Controlman/ Firefighter in the Navy! So go ABH!! Not DC!!! Please! If you have any questions email me at firefightertravis@hotmail.com and I can put you into contact with people that can help you with the ABH Rate so you can go to Goodfellow AFB and the DOD Fire School. On a positive note, if it wasnít for the Navy I would have never been able to go to all the Fire Schools I have been to and plan on going to (Got to love the GI Bill)! The 4 years I was active duty was the greatest time of my life, I saw the world, I raised hell wherever I went, I surfed places I always read about in the surf mags, and I met people I will remember forever!! The Navy is the greatest thing I have ever done; I only wish I went ABH so I could have gone to Goodfellow. But then again I should have gone into the Air Force to be a firefighter. Haha!!