Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NavyABH17011
  • 1 Post By FFTRivera24

Thread: Navy Firefighters

Forum Member

Default Navy Firefighters

Hi all,
    I was just wondering the chances of being an enlisted Navy member and getting the job as a firefighter and being assinged a land base, must you have some time in the Navy before hand to do this or are most of the land Navy bases handled by civilian firefighters or is it a gambles if your assigned a ship or land base. Thanks for any help.

Andrew

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering the chances of being an enlisted Navy member and getting the job as a firefighter and being assinged a land base, must you have some time in the Navy before hand to do this or are most of the land Navy bases handled by civilian firefighters or is it a gambles if your assigned a ship or land base. Thanks for any help.

Andrew

Your chances are ZERO. Naval base firefighting is covered by Navy Regional Fire Rescue for that region, IE- civilian.

Just enlisting? You WILL go to a ship.

IF in the unlikely scenario that you do not go to a ship out of Engineering Common Core, you WILL be going to Iraq or Afghanistan.

So your choices will be, ship or sandbox. Sorry.

If you are just enlisting and if your ASVAB score is high enough, go Hull Technician and request welding 'C' schools and get coded. You will be more of a value to your command (IE- better evals = faster promotion chances) and you will get to any IMA that will remain in existence at the time (IE- skate shore duty except when ships are deploying).

Whats that you say? HT's have to deal with poop and sewage? Well, if you are assigned to anything less than an aircraft carrier or big deck Amphib, as a damage controlman you will be dealing with poop and sewage also.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 11-17-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: meds make typing and spelling hard
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Here is another option. You can go Damage Control, get training and knowledge in a variety of fire suppression systems you do see in the civilian world. You also learn FF tactics and how to run an emergency scene as well and you also will get familiar with equipment that is also used by civilian FF's.

As far as the training and knowledge you will get, your chances of walking out of the Navy and onto a career dept is very slim. So while you are in the service take as many college level courses as you can, take CLEP and DANTES tests (give you college credit without taking a class). Look at different schools that you would like to attend when you get out and take a placement test for the school prior to getting out. Then when you do get out you can use your GI Bill money for school, many of the college courses and DANTES, CLEP test credits will also transfer and you can get your degree in Fire Protection sooner.

Having the college degree in Fire Protection as well as FF 1,2 will get you a much better chance of getting on a career dept than what you get in the military. The veterans points will come in very handy to also help you get hired. What the military experience will give you is the chance to say you do have FF experience and not just a degree, you actually used and worked with equipment and not just went to school. College plus military experience will go much further than either one alone.

Worldwide Menace

or you could...

Join the Navy as an Aircraft Director.. (Aviation Boatswains Mate, Handler) Work your *** off, make E-4 before 4 and a half years, when shore duty comes up, request 7012 NEC and attend the DoD Fire academy then go on to a cush shore duty billet as an ARFF crash crew member.. You'll come out of the academy with your First Responder, FF I/II, Hazmat Awareness and Ops, and Airport Rescue Firefighter (ARFF) certs. Probably the closest you'll get to the structural side. If you go with the Damage Controlman (DC) or Hull Tech (HT) rate, you'll do the job on a boat, but not get IFSAC certs unless you go to some colleges fire school on the outside.

Any way you choose, you'll have to work long and hard, and it will be a long road ahead.

-Damien
    Last edited by DFurtman; 11-19-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: whoops!.. wrong NEC code

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Navy Firefighters

Andy,

Everybody onbard ship is trained to some extent as firefighters. The Navy Rating or "Job" of firefighters is a Damage Controlman. Hull Technicians are also heavily trained as shipboard firefighters. The Hull Tech's mainly deal with the ships piping systems, and welding. DFurtman touched base on the Aviation side of the Navy. I was a Boiler Tech from 1990-1999 and did receive extensive firefighting training as far as class "B" fires went due to I worked in the boiler room and we one of the worst things that could happen down there was a fuel oil or lube oil leak flash into a fire.

If you're set on fire fighting, talk to your Navy recruiter about the following rates: DC, HT, or AB.

Good Luck!!

tkennedy

Default Navy Firefighter Jobs

Here it is plain and simple! First of all I'm a Damage Control Chief Petty Officer, so I believe I can answer your question with confidence. There are NO Navy firefighting jobs that are ashore! Let me clarify even further. The Navy employs civilians to do the Firefighting jobs ashore. As for Sailors, all the jobs for firefighting are aboard ships. Every Sailor must learn how to do firefighting and damage control. The "rating(s)" that teach firefighting on ships is the Damage Control rate and the Hull Technician rate, more so the Damage Control rate. However, let this not discourage you. In my 15 years of service I found that a lot of the firefighting we do is very much alike the municipal firefighters. Of coarse there are differences, but for the most part they are alike. You learn a lot of stuff and have fun while you do it. I love what I do and have applied it to Volunteer Firefighting. Military service is very helpful for your future. Good luck.

tkennedy

Default One more thing

Sorry, I left my aviation brother and sisters out. The aviation rating, Aviation Boatswains Mate is a great rating to learn firefighting. But, keep in mind 90% of the Navy ashore jobs have gone civilian. That's just the way it is.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by tkennedy View Post
    Sorry, I left my aviation brother and sisters out. The aviation rating, Aviation Boatswains Mate is a great rating to learn firefighting. But, keep in mind 90% of the Navy ashore jobs have gone civilian. That's just the way it is.
    The only Navy personnel at the DoD Fire Academy were ABH's (only Handlers..) headed to shore duty crash and salvage billets.. you will not find a Navy structural firefighting shore duty billet. that will be taken by civilians.. you will also not find the ABF, ABE, DC or HT rates at the academy

ABH's graduate out of the DoD Fire Academy as an IFSAC certified Firefighter with First Responder, Firefighter I/II Hazmat Awareness/Ops and Airport Rescue Firefighter (ARFF) certs

-Damien

Forum Member

Thanks all for your help.

Andrew

Forum Member

Default Land Based Navy FF

Here is a glimmer of hope for you....A fellow DC2 friend of mine and I were stationed together on a ship (LSD-44) As DC's the ship/shore rotation is 5 and 3, 5 at sea 3 on land (at least in 98). His sea time was up, so he took a GENERAL BILLET, meaning he could have been doing anything on base, IE checking id's at the pool, trash/recycling etc, he talked to the fire chief on base and got assigned there. Once there they put him through the fire academy, when his enlisment was up (8 years) he transferred right into a civilian spot on that fire department. Now those are huge odds and chances I wouldnt want to take. But he lucked out. Whatever your current positions is I would really look at alternative means. No offense to enlisted firefighters, as I have been there in both Navy and Army, but do your time and get out, transfer into a DOD civilian job. Better pay and no deployments. usajobs is good as well as www.cpol.army.mil (search code is GS-0081 for army civilian firefighters) and take any position you can so you can get your foot in the system.

Hope this helped and good luck!

Forum Member

Default Naval Reserve

Hey guys! I have been thinking about the Naval Reserves here lately. I'm 32 years old, married with a 13 year daughter. I am working here at DFW Airport in Texas. Looking for some advice and thoughts. I'm an Advanced Firefighter, Advanced ARFF, HM Tech, Driver Operator Pumper and Instrutor 2 all with IFSAC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi all,

Andrew
    As a former Damage Controlman 2nd class and current Fire Captain (career metro). Let me answer your question. As many have mentioned, you have no chance of being a full time land based firefighter. That being said, I f you do decide to commit your time and energy to being the best Damage Controlman your command has ever seen during the entire duration of your enlistment, you will develop all of the knowledge, skills and abilities that it takes to be competitive once you get out of the navy and test for career departments. Nobody walks on to ANY career fire department. The navy takes all comers but relies on YOU make something out of yourself.

I went in as an E-2 and promoted first increment every time I tested. I left as an E-5 after four years. The things that helped me get on a career department were all a direct result of my time as a Damage Controlman. You learn basic and advanced shipboard firefighting skills. You learn the proper use of thermal imaging cameras. The Fire service in my opinion lags behind the navy in the use of thermal imagers as a proactive firefighting tool. You learn the effective use of the chain of command (another area that the fire service lags behind in). You learn to earn and accept greater responsibility through progression through the ranks as well as repair locker positions. As a matter of fact, your progression though fire party or repair locker positions I.E. nozzleman, team leader, on scene leader, repair locker leader will do more for your personal development as a future firefighter than the Navy rating you choose.

If you join, study civilian firefighting manuals like IFSTA and other publication. This helps you get a broader perspective and see where the skills you are learning fit in. I had great experiences while I was in the navy, I was deployed to the gulf (desert shield/storm), I saw 19 different countries, became a shellback, sailed though the Suez and Panama canals and most of all grew up into who I am today. I could not have done any of it if it were not for the US Navy and Damage Control.

If you are single I would recommend this pathway to the fire service to anyone. If you are married, I would not.

Just my 2 cents, DC2/Captain Valdez SLCFD

Forum Member

Talking What you know is little....

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Your chances are ZERO. Naval base firefighting is covered by Navy Regional Fire Rescue for that region, IE- civilian.

Just enlisting? You WILL go to a ship.

IF in the unlikely scenario that you do not go to a ship out of Engineering Common Core, you WILL be going to Iraq or Afghanistan.

So your choices will be, ship or sandbox. Sorry.

If you are just enlisting and if your ASVAB score is high enough, go Hull Technician and request welding 'C' schools and get coded. You will be more of a value to your command (IE- better evals = faster promotion chances) and you will get to any IMA that will remain in existence at the time (IE- skate shore duty except when ships are deploying).

Whats that you say? HT's have to deal with poop and sewage? Well, if you are assigned to anything less than an aircraft carrier or big deck Amphib, as a damage controlman you will be dealing with poop and sewage also.
    Do not send bad gouge to a youngin....

ABH's can get shore duty with a Fire Squad on Shore duty, but it will not be stateside, it will be overseas, such as Sigonella Italy.

ABH's get both sides of the house, Structural and Aviation firefighting under your belt. You just have to work hard once you get out there, cause even the basic blueshirt is taught from the start basic Aviation firefighting.

There are 2 schools that can be attended to advance yourself in Aviation firefighting, 7011/7012 schools. Look them up, the answers are out there.

I have been in for 15 years, and I can run with the best fire stations in the Nation. About the only thing I can't do is EMT.

There are alot of things that ABH's do that poeple don't recognize as us. We are a proud bunch.
    hatersloveme likes this.

Default navy firefighter

I am interested in joining the navy to pursue a career as a navy firefighter. I have my AS degree in Fire Science, I am currently a Reserve Firefighter and a Ambulance Operator for a fire department. What are my chances of getting the position of firefighter for the navy. Also once I am in the navy and have completed my training, I look forward to being posted on either a ship or over sea's to use my training, more so on board a ship due to the fact we will be in different places.I geuss my real question is if i choose this root and if i am deployed to Iraq will i be serving the rest of my career there until the war is over.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris725 View Post
    Hey guys! I have been thinking about the Naval Reserves here lately. I'm 32 years old, married with a 13 year daughter. I am working here at DFW Airport in Texas. Looking for some advice and thoughts. I'm an Advanced Firefighter, Advanced ARFF, HM Tech, Driver Operator Pumper and Instrutor 2 all with IFSAC.
    If you want to be a military FF, go Air National Guard. If you are prior Navy, they will still take you

Forum Member

If someone wants to be a Firefighter and serve his Country in the Military then the obvious choice hands down is to join the Air Force!

Forum Member

Fentress (N.A.L.F.) in Virginia is a Navy air field staffed with active duty Navy personnel (mostly ABHs I think) For the most part, the majority of Navy bases are covered by civilian Navy Region Fire & Emerg. Svc. but there are still bases out there that have active duty manning the fire house...granted you will probably be sitting "Hot Spot" in a ARFF vehicle.

Good luck!

Smile Camp David...if you are verrrrrrrry lucky

Quote Originally Posted by NavyABH17011 View Post
    Do not send bad gouge to a youngin....

ABH's can get shore duty with a Fire Squad on Shore duty, but it will not be stateside, it will be overseas, such as Sigonella Italy.

ABH's get both sides of the house, Structural and Aviation firefighting under your belt. You just have to work hard once you get out there, cause even the basic blueshirt is taught from the start basic Aviation firefighting.

There are 2 schools that can be attended to advance yourself in Aviation firefighting, 7011/7012 schools. Look them up, the answers are out there.

I have been in for 15 years, and I can run with the best fire stations in the Nation. About the only thing I can't do is EMT.

There are alot of things that ABH's do that poeple don't recognize as us. We are a proud bunch.

DC (SHORE) billets are also available with the Camp David fire department though the likelihood is very small that the opportunity will arise during your career though it is possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the people on here have definitely given you sound advice. I just want to let you know your first 3 to 4 years in the navy are gonna suck royaly though as a E1, E2 and mostly likely E3 to but not alway's. You will be the low man on the pole and its no fun been there done that. All in all though it was worth it just remember those words if you join you will get first hand experience at that. Another thing is if you decide not to go in the military get your paramedic license that is the bbest way to get in the fire service. well hope that helps.

Forum Member

I have been in for 15 years, and I can run with the best fire stations in the Nation. About the only thing I can't do is EMT. This is what NavyABH17011 wrote!

I hate to burst your bubble but 85 % of all the calls are EMS, SO NO YOU CAN'T RUN WITH THE BEST FIRE STATIONS IN THE NATION.

Go into the Air Force! The only true Military Firefighter, get all your IFSAC Certs. Get out and use your G.I. Bill to pay for Paramedic School, you will then have no problem getting a good paying Firefighter Job.

Forum Member

Hi all,

Andrew
    Andrew, I am a Damage Controlman in the Navy, I did four years active duty onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard LHD6, and I have been in the Reserve since, I have 10 years total with the Navy. I joined because I wanted to be a firefighter. When I got out I went to the Air Force base where I lived by with my DC school certification, they laughed at me!! A Damage Controlman in the Navy IS NOT A FIREFIGHTER!!!! The Fire Service will not, or ever will recognize the DC rate as a firefighting rate. Please believe me when I tell you this. If you want to be a firefighter, and you want to join the Navy, go ABH!!! That is the ONLY RATE in the Navy that can go to Goodfellow AFB for the DOD Fire School!! When I got out, I had to go to an academy to get my California Firefighter I certificate of completion. I also had to go to Bucks County Community College to get my IFSAC/ NPQS Firefighter I & II and my HazMat Awareness & Ops, and Iím going to the Alabama Fire College next month to get my ARFF cert. So if you want to be a firefighter in the Navy, and be able to get a firefighting job once you get out, PLEASE GO ABH!!!! Do not go Damage Control!! It is not recognized as a firefighter job!! I always get laughed at when I say I am a Damage Controlman/ Firefighter in the Navy! So go ABH!! Not DC!!! Please! If you have any questions email me at firefightertravis@hotmail.com and I can put you into contact with people that can help you with the ABH Rate so you can go to Goodfellow AFB and the DOD Fire School. On a positive note, if it wasnít for the Navy I would have never been able to go to all the Fire Schools I have been to and plan on going to (Got to love the GI Bill)! The 4 years I was active duty was the greatest time of my life, I saw the world, I raised hell wherever I went, I surfed places I always read about in the surf mags, and I met people I will remember forever!! The Navy is the greatest thing I have ever done; I only wish I went ABH so I could have gone to Goodfellow. But then again I should have gone into the Air Force to be a firefighter. Haha!!
    hatersloveme likes this.

Thread Information