It is with a heavy heart I inform everyone that our Fire Chief- Ronny Allen Bennett, 39- has passed away, from natural causes while at his home in Orcutt, CA- on Wednesday, November 14, 2007.

Ron is survived by his parents, Allen and Jerry Bennett, sister Dayna Bennett Davis, brother-in-law Corey Davis, and his beloved nephew and niece Logan and Hadley Davis, all of Orcutt.

Born October 15, 1968, Ron lived all his life in Orcutt and was a graduate of Righetti High School. He began his career with the Orcutt Fire Department when he was just 16. Starting as an Explorer, Ron was promoted through the ranks, finally becoming Chief of the department in 2003.

In addition to his responsibilities with the fire department, Ron was an Emergency Medical Technician with American Medical Response. He had eight years of service with AMR and was recently promoted to the Mental Health Assessment Team. His 23 years of service with both AMR and the fire department left an indelible mark on the community, and he will be deeply missed.

Ron's dedication to Orcutt and the Fire Department was unsurpassed. He constantly found ways to improve and enhance the services offered by Orcutt Fire, not only to our community, but in reaching out to communities across the state. Most recently, Ron designated several engines to assist in fighting both the Zaca Fire and the southern California fires. He also acquired an Urban Search and Rescue trailer, and sent his staff to specialized training in order to ensure a prepared reaction to potential natural disaster. Countless fire fighters have trained under Ron's guidance. He had a committed staff of over 20 fire fighters on the department, and the loyalty of its members is a testament to his leadership.

Ron was a person who never met a stranger, and he had wit and charm to spare. His network of friends and acquaintances is astounding. You couldn't walk down the street, even in another state, without Ron seeing someone he knew. Ron's laugh was infectious, and one of his greatest pleasures was to share a funny story. Those of us who knew him won't soon forget his belly laugh. He surrounded himself with family and good friends, and loved to spend time with his niece and nephew, who adored their Uncle Bub. Ron's is a light that won't go out, as it will continue to shine on for those of us who were touched by his goodness.

Visitation will be from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, November 19, 2007 at Magner-Maloney Funeral Home. A traditional service with full honors will be held at Pacific Christian Church on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 beginning with honors at 9:30 a.m. and service at 10:00 a.m. Interment will follow in the Santa Maria Cemetery. A memorial fund has been established in Ron's name and donations can be made at any Rabobank location.
Sympathy notes and words of support may be expressed at www.magnermaloney.com.

------------
I have been with The OFD for two years as a FF/EMT optional skills (emt II in most areas but our county has it with a funny title). I have personally known Ron since I was born pretty much- him and my brother joined the FD one right after the other and he has, in turn, inspired me to go into the fire service. Having worked with him both at OFD and at AMR- I can tell you all he was a good worker, a great friend, and an awesome person. We were all shocked and saddened by his sudden death. He was always doing the best he could to ensure our fire dept- though small, had the best equipment. He gave the station 110% and we will never forget him.

Rest in peace Chief- and God Speed.