Thread: College?

Default College?

Hello, I am 17 and senior in high school, and since I was 5, I have wanted to be what every firefighter I talk to calls "the greatest job in the world." Heading into my senior year...it was time to get serious. I applied last summer to a local fire department for their cadet program...and I am currently on the waiting list. I have talked to the 3 firefighter/medics that live next door and the next door down. I have talked to every fire chief in the area and some out of the area on what to do. I have spent the day at a near by station learning about everything there is to know, and I will be spending the night at one of the most busiest stations in the area...Youngstown Fire Department....in Ohio. I have for sure done my research..but one question I am not too sure about. College or no college. Some local places say its good..also Toledo, Ohio and the New York Fire Director that I had the pleasure to talk to. With that said...a captain from Youngstown, the biggest city in the area and Pittsburgh's assistant chief said college was not needed. I am wondering about everyones opinion. I am aware that in Youngstown and the station I spent the day at that it does not help you on the civil service test, and I know Akron, Ohio doesnt give u points either. I will be attending the 36-hour basic class in March and then get my certification card when I am 18 in July...If i dont go to college i will go for the full 240-hour certification in the spring of 09...If i go to college I will have to wait 2 years because the University of Akron does not certify you. Any response would be great..Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't screw around wasting your money on a 36 class. Either hit the 240 right out of the gate, or get through EMT-B and Medic class first then get your 240. Most places around here are more willing hire medics and put them through fire academy than vice versa. Then if you get an associates in fire science that will just make an even better case for in interviews, even if you don't get extra credit on the test for it

Forum Member

Default go to college

Being a college student now, my advice is to go to college. Coming out of high school I had my emt-b and both state fire certs and could have applied to departments but I chose the college route. I wanted to know that if something ever happened to me physically and I could no longer fight fire that I would have a solid education to fall back on. Plus you are more of a canidate for promotions with a college degree. But whatever you choose to do, good luck to you

Forum Member

Default Something's Fishy Here

Is there some reason why you posted this exact same question in five different threads? *sniff, sniff* I think I smell a rat!
    Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Career/Paid Firefighters Forum
    Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Volunteer Forum
    Emergency (& Non) Entertainment
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

a rat?...orrr i want to see what the best route is to go to be a firefighter....sorry if it is such a big deal to you...i'll try not to post so many things on a huge website like this

MembersZone Subscriber

Default go to college

It is not about extra points or anything like that. i just graduated from college and now I have a college degree, basic FF, and emt-b. the question you need to ask yourself is what will you do if you get hurt in the line of duty and can't fight fire. a college degree is a great thing to fall back on. Good Luck

Forum Member

Default College gooder than ain't got no college

Please laugh at the title of this response.

There are several ways to look at college and some of them depend upon the specific state or even the fire department you want to be hired on.

A civil service city with no college requirement will have a very competitive test to get hired and the practice with reading, math etc. that college gives you will certainty help. Many people are smart but do not possess good test taking skills. College helps this. With some civil service tests a single missed question can drop you 10 places on the list.

There is also the question of covering all the bases. If some of the cities you are interested in require college, but some don't, why limit yourself? Why hang all your hopes on getting that one job. Make yourself qualified to take every test that comes along.

If you happen to get hired during the process, you still now have college. (That is a good thing.)

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brianjpearson View Post
    Hello, I am 17 and senior in high school, and since I was 5, I have wanted to be what every firefighter I talk to calls "the greatest job in the world." Heading into my senior year...it was time to get serious. I applied last summer to a local fire department for their cadet program...and I am currently on the waiting list. I have talked to the 3 firefighter/medics that live next door and the next door down. I have talked to every fire chief in the area and some out of the area on what to do. I have spent the day at a near by station learning about everything there is to know, and I will be spending the night at one of the most busiest stations in the area...Youngstown Fire Department....in Ohio. I have for sure done my research..but one question I am not too sure about. College or no college. Some local places say its good..also Toledo, Ohio and the New York Fire Director that I had the pleasure to talk to. With that said...a captain from Youngstown, the biggest city in the area and Pittsburgh's assistant chief said college was not needed. I am wondering about everyones opinion. I am aware that in Youngstown and the station I spent the day at that it does not help you on the civil service test, and I know Akron, Ohio doesnt give u points either. I will be attending the 36-hour basic class in March and then get my certification card when I am 18 in July...If i dont go to college i will go for the full 240-hour certification in the spring of 09...If i go to college I will have to wait 2 years because the University of Akron does not certify you. Any response would be great..Thanks!
    GO TO COLLEGE! GET A 4 YEAR DEGREE IN ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT!

You are at the pinnacle of your education life. You can go anywhere and do anything you want. If you want a degree in fire protection, that's fine. But if there is some other field that interests you, pursue it. You can always be a FF and work your other career on your off days. There are 2 reasons for this.

1. You won't be a FF forever. Setting up another career now can assure you of a pretty good life when you retire.

2. You may start working out for your FD physical and you may blow a knee. Your chosen city may not hire you. You may be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whatever the reason, have a contingency plan to fall back on.

There are some on here that would urge you to do whatever it takes because "nothing matters but the badge". That type of advice is irrespsonsible and short-sighted. Look at the long term picture.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information