Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: College?

Default College?

Hello, I am 17 and senior in high school, and since I was 5, I have wanted to be what every firefighter I talk to calls "the greatest job in the world." Heading into my senior year...it was time to get serious. I applied last summer to a local fire department for their cadet program...and I am currently on the waiting list. I have talked to the 3 firefighter/medics that live next door and the next door down. I have talked to every fire chief in the area and some out of the area on what to do. I have spent the day at a near by station learning about everything there is to know, and I will be spending the night at one of the most busiest stations in the area...Youngstown Fire Department....in Ohio. I have for sure done my research..but one question I am not too sure about. College or no college. Some local places say its good..also Toledo, Ohio and the New York Fire Director that I had the pleasure to talk to. With that said...a captain from Youngstown, the biggest city in the area and Pittsburgh's assistant chief said college was not needed. I am wondering about everyones opinion. I am aware that in Youngstown and the station I spent the day at that it does not help you on the civil service test, and I know Akron, Ohio doesnt give u points either. I will be attending the 36-hour basic class in March and then get my certification card when I am 18 in July...If i dont go to college i will go for the full 240-hour certification in the spring of 09...If i go to college I will have to wait 2 years because the University of Akron does not certify you. Any response would be great..Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd say go to college. First of all, it just makes you a more rounded person and you might get smarter. It is very hard to try to go back for it once you get out of the swing of things. From what I have seen around here, Chiefs are not running out to hire guys right out of HS. Life experiences can really change a person. So take some time now to grow a little, learn a lot, and make yourself a better candidate. Also, you may not need the paper to get on the job, but you may never have a chance to advance in your career without it. Not ot mention, if you get the right degree, you could have a great opportunity for side work that wont break your body and make you a few bucks!
    Last edited by daustinwfd; 11-23-2007 at 11:48 PM.

You will need it to be promoted, you don't need it in most places to be hired. The hiring process is a long one. Start the process and start in college at the same time. Get as many credits out of the way as you can early, than work on your degree while you are on the job. Lots of down time for studying in most fire departments.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Do college, it will help you be a more rounded person. It's tough later...

MembersZone Subscriber

Post College

Most communities do not require college to get hired, however you will either need it, or find yourself behind when trying to move up. Depending upon if you are looking at other departments, or just one, some cities pay a stipend for having the degree. This can also change your start pay as well as retirement funds 30 years from now. College will pay for itself over time. Take the time now to get it, however I would take every fire exam possible now, it will help prepare you for the one you want.

Forum Member

As everyone mentioned, most departments do not require a degree for entry level openings. However, you'll want it because come the promotion exams, you'll need it. It's better to get it now than wait till later like me. Married with two kids take most of your study time.

Default Something's Fishy Here

Is there some reason why you posted this exact same question in five different threads? *sniff, sniff* I think I smell a rat!
    Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Career/Paid Firefighters Forum
    Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Volunteer Forum
    Emergency (& Non) Entertainment
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Is there some reason why you posted this exact same question in five different threads? *sniff, sniff* I think I smell a rat!
    Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Career/Paid Firefighters Forum
    Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Volunteer Forum
    Emergency (& Non) Entertainment
    Like using five of your first six posts to call someone out?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

----------
    Last edited by SCSmith; 12-06-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: duplicate post

----------
    Last edited by SCSmith; 12-06-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Like using five of your first six posts to call someone out?
    Haha...If you're going to try and make me look bad, at least get you numbers right. It was five out of my first eight posts. I wouldn't have cared if was five out of my first five posts, though, because I hate it when people do crap like that. The person posts the same question in five different threads and then doesn't even have the decency to respond to any of them.The person who did that either wants attention or to toy with people. Spam like that just wastes people's time.

you are such a dumbass...id like to know the best route for this *******...i dont want to mess up in becoming a firefighter...i wanted to see others thoughts and opinions...such a f**king dumbass...im 17 and trying to be a firefighter...dont be an *******

Forum Member

If it were me and I had to do over again. I'd would have finished college... As was said before once you get out of the swing of things you tend never follow up on them... Your still young enough to do both and make a excellent career out of the fire service... Also a lot dept offer extra $$$ for degree's our offers 60.00 extra month AD and 120.00 for BD...

Thread Information