Thread: Petzl PSS

makes good girls go bad

Default Petzl PSS

Can this be used with a harness OTHER then the Gemtor?
    I tried asking it in a different catagory, got no responses.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Its your life, if 150 is a make it or break it amount of money time to start reevaluate things!

makes good girls go bad

It ain't about the money. I have a harness built into my pants.
    http://www.globefiresuits.com/globe/products/ih-pants/
    I have 50ft or 8mm, mini 8 decender, and a biner to attach it.

I liked the Crosby hook I got to use at FH Central, and was interested in the Petzl system.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Why would it matter what type or brand of harness you use?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Why would it matter what type or brand of harness you use?
    Because I think it's primarily been tested with the Gemtor.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

After reviewing your link, I would not attempt to use that harness. You need to have the handle out in front of you. You will not be able to attach the bag and the caribiner to your harness that you have.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    After reviewing your link, I would not attempt to use that harness. You need to have the handle out in front of you. You will not be able to attach the bag and the caribiner to your harness that you have.
    Johnny;

That website doesnt really do the harness justice. When I swing by the fire station later tonight, I will take some pics to show it better. I can attach things to it, like a belt.

I will have the pics later tonight.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

Here is a few pics of the harness and my current escape system clipped into it
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Its not going to work. You need to have the attachment point that is added to the new gemtor harness for it all to work as planned.

Forum Member

do you have anything over two stories in your district that???? And if so is it fireproof??

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    do you have anything over two stories in your district that???? And if so is it fireproof??
    Yes, multiple 5-8 story condos. Some are sprinklered, some aren't.
    Several newer construction multistory MFDs. It is a mix of Type II and III construction.

Honestly, we have just about every type of construction, except baloon frame in our first due.
    Industrial, SFD, MFDs, condos, McMansions, taxpayers.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

Its not going to work. You need to have the attachment point that is added to the new gemtor harness for it all to work as planned.
    Johnny;
    not questioning ya Bro, but what is the attachment point? Im gonna try to find a pic of it, but would you mind taking one?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

http://www.gemtor.com/rescue.htm#541nyc

Notice the small D ring on the left side of the picture. That is the attachment point of the harness. If you seriously want it you really should get professional training on it.

Forum Member

I've used a similar Petzl device with my Yates seat harness with no problems. This was with my turnouts on and in a 70' rappel off an aerial ladder. I would recommend training on any new device before putting it into service.

makes good girls go bad

If I were to purchase this, it would not be until I could get with a rep, try it out, and see if I like it, and if it could work.
    Given the Pricetag on it, I am not going to just willy nilly purchase it.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

You can always use just the device, but if you have nothing for it to be anchored with what is the point?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    If I were to purchase this, it would not be until I could get with a rep, try it out, and see if I like it, and if it could work.
    Given the Pricetag on it, I am not going to just willy nilly purchase it.
    Technically you cannot even purchase the system without going through a certified class from a Petzl certified trainer.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

makes good girls go bad

You can always use just the device, but if you have nothing for it to be anchored with what is the point?
    Johnny;
    forgive my ignorence, but, anchor it to what? There are attachment loops for the carabiners, and I can slide things onto the belt.

JB;
    I would like to test it out, either in a class, or some other demo before I buy it.

Thanks for all your replies guys, have a safe and happy Turkey Day!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Our Gemtor harness doubles as a lowering device, it contains a VERY Large Carabiner. Our PSS system is attached to the d ring that is in the link I posted up. I am sure you can probably use it with another harness but you really need to have an outside the pant type of harness to secure the PSS bag that is attached to the d ring and to you.

Forum Member

There is a good article on this site about the Petzl EXO and the Gemtor Harness.
    http://www.firetrainingresources.org...23&PageNum=166

makes good girls go bad

OK , I see what ya mean!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

Having just spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Lt. Cohen of www.firegroundtech.com we hashed out what I could do with my harness and the PSS.

Right now, the only thing that looks like is holding me back is the fact I have to unclip the biner at some point, to take off my pants.
    Working to clip it in every time, I think that it could work on my pants, but only taking a HOT class would prove my theory.

Only time, training, and fcukups will tell....

Thanks to Lt. Cohen for taking the time to help me out with this!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Petzl PSS

Ok here goes: The Petzl EXO can be used with other harnesses. However, the Gemtor 541NYC was the harness the EXO bag was specifically designed around. The reason for that was, 12,000 FDNY guys already had the 541"s issued to them and therefore the Petzl system was designed around that issue. Additionally, the harness for the most part must be an external harness on the bunker pants. I am not going to say that you cannot use the system with an internal harness because there are attachment issues that need to be investigated. The location of the bag is an issue but not to the degree of the attachment point to the harness itself. Ya see the Petzl EXO and the Gemtor Harness are conected ALL the time which eliminates the human error issue of making that connection everytime you get in and out of your pants. So, the Petzl EXO was not technically "tested " with the Gemtor541 but rather built around the harness. More importantly, the Petzl EXO requires mandatory training before being able to purchase and install the system onto your gear,which is a great thing. Some points I would like to make are: Any system you buy make sure it meets UL standards under NFPA 1983. Regardless of the system,make sure you get thoroughly trained in the use of it. There are some components or systems out there that not only fail to meet the standard but are also pure garbage. One item is the FESH hook. I wouldnt hang my dirty laundry on that device, and that component should be taken off the market. It is a very dangerous hook and Im not sure it lives up to all the standards it claims to. Anyway, do your research and ask questions. If you have any questions go to www.firegroundtech.com and email me off our training site. We are big advocates of the Petzl PSS and the Gemtor Harness, but we do train with any other system out there and would gladly give our professional opinions about them to you. Fire Ground Tech is the ONLY AUTHORIZED TRAINER IN THE COUNTRY ON THE 541 AND WE ARE ONE OF THE LEADING TRAINERS ON THE PETZL EXO. This isn't by chance that we have this reputation, it is based upon our knowledge and professionalism on purchasing and training on these very important systems. If you go to our site, navigate throught it and there are open enrollment classes posted. We will also be at FDIC, Baltimore Expo, and the Long Island Mega show in January. So again if you have any questions or concerns we are only a phone call away and will gladly give you as much information you need to make and educated decision in your PSS. Be safe and good luck

Some Guy

What is the life of a Gemtor Harness?
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Depends on how busy you are and what it gets exposed to. The fraying of the fibers would have to be fairly severe for it to be taken out of service. My last one was over 10 years old and I had no doubts in its reliability.

Thread Information