Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Joining Air Force

Ive recently just started talking to a recruiter. Ive decided to quit school (personal reasons) and join the Air Force. I am actually very curious about being a fire fighter in the air force it seems like a very good field to get into. I have some exp with being a member of the local volunteer fire dept.

My question is what should I ask my recruiter? I am going to meet with him again Monday. And I really dont want to get screwed by my recruiter and how much ofa sign on bonus should I be expecting?

Id greatly be thankful if anyone could give me the basics of what I should know.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelx View Post
    Ive recently just started talking to a recruiter. Ive decided to quit school (personal reasons) and join the Air Force. I am actually very curious about being a fire fighter in the air force it seems like a very good field to get into. I have some exp with being a member of the local volunteer fire dept.

My question is what should I ask my recruiter? I am going to meet with him again Monday. And I really dont want to get screwed by my recruiter and how much ofa sign on bonus should I be expecting?

Id greatly be thankful if anyone could give me the basics of what I should know.
    ...firefighting in the AF is a great field to get into if that is what you want to do. As everyone on this forum will tell you GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Tell him you want firefighter (3E7X1). Don't let him tell you that he can put you in a generalized category such as "Open General". Open General consists of anything from Firefighters to Security Forces to cooks. Trust me, that's a bad route. IF he tells you that you can go into Open General and you will probably get FF, then he (like most recruiters) is lying. The AF is downsizing (especially FFs) and the chance that you are randomly picked for FF from an open general category is slim to none. There is more of a chance that we will pull out of Iraq soon...

I doubt you will recieve any signing bonus. The AF only awards signing bonuses for critically manned career fields (ie TACP, Combat Weather, Pararescue...)

Assuming you are quitting college and not High School, talk to him about maybe going in with a couple of stripes already. If you have a certain amount of college credits, that may be possible. If you ARE dropping out of HS, good luck getting in. Period. My cousin tried to go in the AF with a GED... now he's in Iraq pulling infantry for the Army. Ask as many questions about the AF and your career field as possible. Don't take anything for granted, if you question anything on your contract, clarify it with your recruiter. Most of us have been out of basic training and tech school for awhile, if there are any recruiters assistance guys working for your recruiter, talk to them, they should be able to answer questions better than anyone. Much luck to you, and I speak for just about everyone here, if you have any questions we would be more than happy to answer them for you. You can message me anytime.

...and be sure to get everything in writing.

MembersZone Subscriber

GERDES...Are you still trying to be a recruiter or what? LOL

Everyone, he has some great points and the biggest being get your contract in writing. Yes, when you enlist in the military you are signing a contract. That's how you have some leg to stand on when they attempt to switch you into something else (e.g. firefighter to security forces or personnel).

As for a bonus, the list just came out and firefighter (3E7X1) is nowhere close to being on it. The Air Force is in fact cutting positions left and right with no sign of it letting up any time soon. Heck, the military still can't afford the Hazard Duty pay we are entitled to so don't expect an enlistment or re-enlistment bonus.

I too am assuming you are quitting college and not High School. If you are in fact quitting HS, then the Air Force will not even consider you. They will however send you down the hall to the Army where you will most likely get a bonus and a ticket to Iraq within a few months. ;-)

I would personally recommend getting into the Guard / Reserves first, finish school and then if you decide you like the military, you can apply to go Active Duty. By then you should have some rank on your sleeve and some experience. Worst case is that you don't like the military but you have the basics of a good fire protection career under your belt to apply to a civilian department. BUT FINISH SCHOOL! Besides, when you get into a Senior Rater position (MSgt, SMSgt, or CMSgt) you are required to have your degree (Associate at a minimum).

Best of luck!

Kevin

My recruiter keeps telling me that he cant gurantee any position.....which really has me worried is he just blowing smoke or is that true??

And yes im quitting college not High School. lol. ( at least for now )

Thanks for all those that have replied thus far.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

If he can't guarantee any position and you still go in... be prepared to do anything. Hard bargain with him. I know a few guys that said they told thier recruiter FF or nothing, and they got it.

The Air Force offers two enlistment options for new recruits. The first one is "guaranteed job," where the applicant has a specific job guaranteed in their enlistment contract. The second option is the "guaranteed aptitude area," where applicants are guaranteed to receive a job in a specific aptitude area, but won't actually find out what the job is until they are in basic training.

Good luck.

Go AIR GUARD.....if you can find a unit close to home, that would be your best option. Recruiters use the "we can't guarantee you that job" BS when they have other jobs they are trying to fill first. Shop around.....AIr Guard or Air Reserve will almost guarantee you that. There is nothing like joining for firefighter and becoming a mechanic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelx View Post
    My recruiter keeps telling me that he cant gurantee any position.....which really has me worried is he just blowing smoke or is that true??

And yes im quitting college not High School. lol. ( at least for now )

Thanks for all those that have replied thus far.

look, a recruiter told me that crap when I wanted to come in, back in 2002... I told him to have a nice day, and left...

then I got on the phone, called some recruiters from different areas, and told them the situation. found one who was willing to send me to MEPS to get a contract with Fire protection on it.

long story short, dont ley him feeed u BS, tell him what you want and dont accept anything else. these guys are like carnies, just hold your ground, and they will bust.. if not, go to a different recruiter...

o ya, when u finally get to MEPS, when u pick ur job, and sign for it... this is exactly what I said to them.

"Hi, I want fire protection. I will be in the break room, please feel free to page me in here if you have a opening. If you do not have a opening right now, please place me on the Q&W list." no BS, 5 minutes later he said, "you leave in 5 weeks"

HOLD your ground..
    Last edited by xxxshiftxxx; 11-28-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Default Get it in writing

They will tel you anything you want to hear but it has to be in writing.
    It's your life so don't let them try and guilt you, it's 4 years of your life not theirs.
    When I left active duty from Security Police/Security forces and went into the guard I told them fire protection or nothing.
    Paramedic training I got on my own all the AF training land me a very good job on the outside.
    Just hold your ground and do not let them try and bully you around.
    WildBill

so if there is a waiting list is it possible to be in school(college) and be on some sort of list so when i get out i can go ahead and begin?

sorry if this question is retarded but if i don't ask i wont know

I've been reading a lot of thread but what is the best website for AF FF information? like pay, family information, etc

thanks guys

Forum Member

I have my associates in fire science Will that help me get a FF job in the airforce alot easier?

Quote Originally Posted by stearns83 View Post
    I have my associates in fire science Will that help me get a FF job in the airforce alot easier?

In two words......

NO and NO.

Oh my....that's three words........
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by MrLarry View Post

I've been reading a lot of thread but what is the best website for AF FF information? like pay, family information, etc

thanks guys
    Check this site out. It has loads of info....

http://www.dodfire.com/
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stearns83 View Post

...it may help you, however, get in as an E3 after basic training rather than E1.

ive went through so much BS thus far with my Air Force recruiter im done with him. Im going to talk to another recruiter Monday. But I passed my MEPS physical and the ASVAB I just need to find the job opening and a recruiter that wont try to jerk me around.

Forum Member

Default Air Force Recruiters cannot guarantee jobs right now

The AF recruiters cannot guarantee you a specific job right now. The AF is cutting back, and they abandoned the guaranteed job program (except for Guard/Reserve) last year. MEPS can give you a guaranteed job once you are there. I just separated from the AF in January '07, and taught at the DoD Fire Academy for 4 years. The best I can tell you is to get to MEPS and see if they will guarntee you the job (last I checked, though, Fire Protection was one of those overmanned fields that they were cutting down).

Forum Member

DO you have to make any kind of commitment to get MEPS? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kferrara2002 View Post
    GERDES...Are you still trying to be a recruiter or what? LOL

Everyone, he has some great points and the biggest being get your contract in writing. Yes, when you enlist in the military you are signing a contract. That's how you have some leg to stand on when they attempt to switch you into something else (e.g. firefighter to security forces or personnel).

As for a bonus, the list just came out and firefighter (3E7X1) is nowhere close to being on it. The Air Force is in fact cutting positions left and right with no sign of it letting up any time soon. Heck, the military still can't afford the Hazard Duty pay we are entitled to so don't expect an enlistment or re-enlistment bonus.

I too am assuming you are quitting college and not High School. If you are in fact quitting HS, then the Air Force will not even consider you. They will however send you down the hall to the Army where you will most likely get a bonus and a ticket to Iraq within a few months. ;-)

I would personally recommend getting into the Guard / Reserves first, finish school and then if you decide you like the military, you can apply to go Active Duty. By then you should have some rank on your sleeve and some experience. Worst case is that you don't like the military but you have the basics of a good fire protection career under your belt to apply to a civilian department. BUT FINISH SCHOOL! Besides, when you get into a Senior Rater position (MSgt, SMSgt, or CMSgt) you are required to have your degree (Associate at a minimum).

Best of luck!

Kevin
    Hey Kev it's me, I lost your email, can you send me a PM?

Forum Member

Default af forums

Hi,
    I'm prior active duty, now reservist. I'm not in the fire protection career field though. I think you should slide over to www.afforums.com and register. It's a great site of people that were and are in the a.f. and I've seen stuff about the fire protection career field there being asked and answered. When I joined the af I wanted fire protection but I didn't score high enough in the general section of the asvab. It's all worked out well though but check that site out and get some info. I believe there are recruiters or former ones on there that can help.

Thread Information