Forum Member

Default Patuxent River Navy job

Any info from DOD guys about this vacancy (there are 6 listed on the announcement)? I've been planning on applying for DOD jobs for awhile now, but this will be the first one I actually do apply for. I understand your application is evaluated by the presence of the KSA's, but how wordy are you supposed to get? Thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll try to help; I work on the base at Pax River, but not as a firefighter. The application process is basically the same for all positions. The key is not how long the resume is, but getting the right words. The initial selection is done by computer searching for key words or phrases and then the supervisors narrow it down farther. Be sure to include any training and certifications that you have as well as your firefighting experience. The key words that they search on will likely be aircraft firefighting or some variation.

I don't know your background, but you'll be competing against guys who have experience at one of the local volunteer departments. Overall, I love living down here and the base is a great employer. The fire department works 24 on 24 off, with a kelly day in there somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thanks bro

Forum Member

Default Eng34FF, Navy Fire jobs

Hey man,

I saw in my email that my resume was sent to management for further consideration. I already have a couple of years with DOD fire, so I am hoping to land this one at your location.

A note to all applicants who want to apply, be sure to put the # of hours on all training certs. I was told you will score higher when this is done.

MembersZone Subscriber

arff

Glad to see you cleared the first hurdle. Good Luck with the rest of the process. I have a lot of friends there and they are a great bunch of guys.

Forum Member

Default engine34ff

The job shows 6 openings. I imagine they either have funding to staff a new piece of apparatus or they have 6 people retiring out. It sounds like the base itself is pretty large, so I am guessing there are several stations to man. From what you have posted, it sounds like a nice place to work and that is always good. I was DOD fire for a couple of years, including a Naval base on the east coast. I am now private contract with AF Plant 42 in Crash Rescue. I just want to get back into the Federal system, but only if its a department that has a good reputation and good guys.

Thanks for the possitive feed back,

Kev

Forum Member

Good info guys.

arff42, how long did it take for them to tell you it was sent to management for further review? I may not be submitting the application until the deadline (waiting for a certificate to arrive in the mail so I can put its # on the application).

Forum Member

Default wre722

Hi,

Sorry, I was sent to management for a Naval base in CA. So I was not referred for MD. They will not make a list until after the closing date. Make sure you get your resume submitted before the deadline, even if the new cert is not posted. If you do not have the cert #, just put (P) which means pending.

6 openings is a lot. Looking back I realize this is a GS5 job, so people without 1 year of GS4 or the basic certs are gonna be out of luck. I believe college credits can be another way to get in. I was offered a position with a Navy base in Meridian, Mississippi about a year ago. However, I was told they were cutting back on manpower and I would probably lose my job before it ever started. That is why it is so important to find guys who have good knowledge of what's going on with specific bases.

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

The are not staffing any new pieces, just making up for openings that they've had for a while. The have two stations at Pax river and one at Webster Field. One of those stations mans the crash trucks. It's a large base, but most of the calls on base are smells and bells. They do run out into the county as well.

Forum Member

3 stations is good. It allows the guys to move around a bit. For some reason, DOD fire departments always get smells and bells. It is just how it goes. Automatic aid outside the base is always a great thing.

Forum Member

Again, good info. My application is all complete except for the one certification number. I will submit it without the number on the last day if it comes down to it.

What kinds of apparatus do they have on base?

Forum Member

I do know that NAS LEmore just got a new Pierce Type 1. I also know that when I worked the Naval Base in RI, we recieved a brand new Pierce ladder truck. It was red and awesome!!! SO I would bet they have some pretty nice stuff, or will soon enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DOD Firefighter

I am a Firefighter in the Army National Guard. I went to the DOD fire acdemy in Goodfellow AFB this year. One of the guys that is on the job at Patuxent River let me in on the job oprotunity. Has anyone herd or recieved any mesages from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Info?

Also does anyone know roundabout how many people have apps in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Feb19

Who's all gana be there next week for the test?

Forum Member

Not me unfortunately. I guess my application wasn't good enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey keep trying. Get back on the chart site and aply for another G081 job. There are plenty of firefighter openings.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have my interview and physical agilities test on March 10.

Forum Member

Interview and agility invite for March 10th. Looks like about 80 people recieved the same invite. I recieved mine in an email from the BC.

It says you have to don your gear, don an SCBA and then do several events like throw and climb a ladder, drag some hose. and more. This done after the formal interview.

Good luck everyone and stay safe,

K

Forum Member

Got the same email... I guess they are holding more than one interview/physical agility test session.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck and see you down there!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any word

For the guys that tested at PAX, has anyone herd anything from them?

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard they were only hiring local area guys......ie. st.mary's, charles,calvert

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 15 min.

Probably 15 min after i posted my last post. I received a call from pax. I got the job. I know another guy from NY that got the job also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaefcke View Post
    Probably 15 min after i posted my last post. I received a call from pax. I got the job. I know another guy from NY that got the job also.
    congrats on the job..heard its a real nice area to live down there if you like to hunt and fish.. welcome to the Mid-Atlantic...

Thread Information